if you had to chose one

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by shootitout, Mar 28, 2012.

1. shootitout

shootitout New Member

Would u chose an ar15 or an ak47?
    I ask because I am going to try to get one this spring and I like how the AK shoots and is reliable so I'm leaning that way. but it takes heat for its accuracy. So which would u chose?

2. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

If i had to choose i'd grab the AK, but only because i've got a lot of experience with the platform.

I'm looking into building a nice AR right now so my opinion may very well change lol

3. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

AR -because I believe that when society collapses there will be more .223/5.56 round in the US than 7.62x39 ;)

Besides, a well built/maintained AR is every bit s relaible as an AK. Unless you don't plan on maintaining the AR, if that is the case go with the AK :)

4. texashunter

texashunter New Member

Is it just for fun, or do you actually want to hunt something with it?

5. akm47nagiont

akm47nagiont New Member

I would grab the ak because the reliability if I went to war I would grab ak because I don't plan on doing long range shots I plan on bunkering down in the fourth and holding that thing anyways most wars now in days r close quarters and not that much accuracy is needed

6. 7mmstw

7mmstw New Member

A quality AR, it's modular, can always get different calibers can go from 22lr to 50 beauwulf. And everything in between. 204, 5.7, 5.45, 6.5spc, 6.5 Grendel, 458 socom, 9mm, 45acp, long target barrel, short cqb, whatever your hearts desire.

don't live vicariously

7. akm47nagiont

akm47nagiont New Member

I must say it would be a very hard choice between a standard ak 47 and 308 caliber ar

8. Sickofnotliving

Sickofnotliving New Member

I love my AR, but in a situation where you have to bug out and be reliant on whatever type of ammo you can find, you need a weapon that is built to take the abuse, that is not always the case with the AR. Lots of guys cringe at the idea of shoot steel case through their AR's. For a lot of AR makers, it instantly voids the warranty if you should do so. For that reason, im bugging out with my AK. All i've ever shot through it is Tulaammo, 20 rounds for $5 at your local superstores, .556/.223 costs $8.99 for 20, and .308 for my M1A is $15.00 for 20 rounds. So it is more economically friendly for me to stock up on 7.62x39. Its available almost anywhere that deals with firearms. Accuracy is a trivial thing, the rifle youre shooting to hit something at 1000 yards is not the same as the one youre using to clear rooms with, and as WW2 taught the world, most firefights happen at 100 yards or less. The AK can handle that distance just as well as any AR I've ever seen.

9. akm47nagiont

akm47nagiont New Member

, you took the words right out of my mouth

10. Georgiahunter

Georgiahunter New Member

This will be another interesting thread. I'm going to go ahead and say this may be a bad idea to start a thread like this, not that anybody ever gets angry.:rolleyes: Y'all keep it civil.

11. racingfanatic

racingfanatic New Member

I think the ar is a better weapon and all around more fun but if i was u i would ge the ak first because the likely hood of an ak being banned is much higher than an ar and if it is banned the prices skyrocket on them

12. nastyogre

nastyogre New Member

+1 on the AR platform. I haven't had any issues with reliability on the two that I've built. Keep it clean and it'll run forever. Oh and the AR is sooooo much better looking IMO. :)

13. therewolf

therewolf New Member

The AR is, well, yeah.

I wouldn't want to trust the stamped receiver

of the AK, as well as the aerosol accuracy.

The SKS has a much better build, with a machined

receiver, and a longer sight radius. So I guess the

short answer to: " AR or AK?" for me is

"none of the above".

IME the (my) AK has had a couple dependability

issues bearing directly on it's cheap build. My SKS

has always been reliable, with a built-in bayonet

as a backup, if needed.

It's a free country, though, and YMMV...

14. shootitout

shootitout New Member

in a shtf time i dont see haven a tun of time to clean my gun and the ar needs to be clean more then the ak

15. locutus

locutus New Member

SHTF scenarios are what soldiers face every day.

They're what the AR was designed for, and it's served our soldiers very, very well for over 45 years.

If you can't find time to maintain your weapon, you've got bigger problems than weapon selection.

Your DI told you:

"Take care of your weapon and your weapon will take care of you."

And it's still true today.

16. Johnny357

Johnny357 New Member

Our soldiers in the field bring overwhelming force and have a HUGE support network. Their weapons are full auto. And if their gun fails they are surrounded by friends to cover them. In a bad spot they can pick a working weapon off the fallen soldier next to them.

For SHTF you are going to be alone or in a small group. Your weapon will be semi-auto, and if you have anyone with you they may very well be carrying a weapons in a different caliber. And you will have no support network beyond the kit you bring with you.

My point is, what is good for our troops is not necessarily good for a citizen rifleman in a SHTF situation. But the whole SHTF thing is such a broad scenario that you could make a good case for just about any weapon.

17. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Pretty sure that, in the scenario you reference, AR rifles in .223 will be EVERYWHERE.

18. orangello

orangello New Member

Of the two, i would also want the SKS. Of course, my SKS has removable magazines of which i have a few. If it had to be AK or AR, i would go AK. I don't have the skills to take advantage of the long-range accuracy of the AR (nor a fondness for tiny projectiles). If i had been trained by the US military in the use of the AR, i would probably pick it for the supposed increase in accuracy.

19. TinCan

TinCan New Member

AR is out because there are just too many options (uppers of numerous calibers not to mention the crossbow one) to choose from but then again the AK has quite a few calibers to choose from too.....
    I think I'll just get me a slingshot with some steel ball bearings and decent arrows and put the savings towards some "medicinal" alcohol. :)

20. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I can walk down a trail in the woods with an SKS, field-stripping and

cleaning as I go. It's got four easily removable and cleanable parts, and a

built-in cleaning kit.

Now try that with an AR...