I Just Ran Across A Rare Bird

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by zaitsev44, May 18, 2014.

1. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

I was browsing Armslist and I found a first. A WWI German Mauser anti-tank rifle. Ill put a link and I'll copy and paste the text as well. I've never seen one for sale, I've heard about them before. What do y'all think? I posted this because I thought it was pretty cool. It's $8,500 for those who can't open the link.
    http://www.armslist.com/posts/30461...s-for-sale--very-rare-1918-mauser-tank-gewehr

"This rare piece was produced by the Germans in 1917 and 1918 due to Allied tank attacks and is credited to be the first anti-tank weapon for military use. Weighing in at 37 pounds and 5 feet 6 inches in length, the T-Gewehr was able to penetrate the armor of that period with a 13.2 X 92 MM cartridge. Has blade front and tangent rear sights, with matching numbers on the barrel, chamber, receiver, bolt components, bolt catch and barrel band, three Imperial proofs on the right side of the chamber, the Mauser banner over 1918 on the receiver ring, and a pistol grip stock. It comes with a proper reproduction swiveling riveted metal bi-pod with spiked feet. This gun is in unrestored original condition. Some light cleaning has been done to stock and barrel. The bore has been kept clean and oiled. The bolt operates smoothly and locks firmly. Patina and light rust on metal, has 2 small cracks on stock. Additional pictures can be sent on request. Pre sale inspections can be arranged within 100 miles with a deposit. Serious inquiries only. This is a C+R classified gun."

2. armoredman

armoredman New Member

Does Midway carry dies for this? Nifty!

3. kytowboater

kytowboater New Member

Wonder if it falls under "destructive device" banner?

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Think that is classed as a Class III firearm- Destructive Device. Bore diameter exceeds 50 cal, and no recognized sporting use.

OK- maybe REAL high flying ducks...

5. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

I was wondering the same thing, because it's bigger than .50. I know the Boys anti-tank rifle was .55 and to be able to be owned it had to be rebarreled for .50 BMG. Maybe I should email the seller....

EDIT: On a quick Google search, I read that ammo for these rifles are $75 a round.... and it was recently granted status of non-destructive device, so it's legal!

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  6. 303tom

303tom New Member

Now that`s cool !..................

7. armoredman

armoredman New Member

It is stated to be C&R, but double check that it is on the CR unrestricted list. Then try to find brass and dies...:) Wonder if you can cast for this puppy - be a BIG mold, better call Night Owl Enterprises for a custom mold. Hah, you think I'm kidding. :D

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

I doubt its terribly safe to shoot. Shooting it would be putting it in a tire and using a string from behind a tree. I wouldn't sit behind that thing.

Its cool piece of history and should be in a museum before some yahoo tries and shoots it.

9. armoredman

armoredman New Member

I have a rifle about the same age as that puppy, and I shoot it, with reduced cast bullet loads. Get it checked to see if it is safe to shoot and if it isn't then, yes, loan it/sell it to a museum. If it IS safe to shoot, (how many Mausers of the same age are still safe to shoot today?), then load up and fire away, though out of respect for the age of the weapon, I wouldn't use full power armor piercing ammo.
    Honestly, I realize most people with this kind of cash aren't buying it to go plinking with it, but simply to mount behind glass.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

Old mauser are safe but when your talking about a round with more energy than a 50bmg that's a whole other animal.

11. 303tom

303tom New Member

I`d shoot it & the 13.2 X 92 MM cartridge never ever had more energy than a .50 BMG. The .50 BMG was almost 5mm larger at the base & rimless & 7mm longer !................

12. hairbear1

hairbear1 New Member

There's a gun dealer that lives about 2 hours from me that actually has 1 of these.

Apparently the crew that manned this thing got hit with a flame thrower because the stock is black from a fire.
    The Germans apparently had trouble finding troops to fire it because it was renown for breaking shoulders if not held properly.

Attached Files:

13. trigger643

trigger643 New Member

My ex-wife's Grandfather brought one of these things home from the great war. It hung over his fireplace for a number of years. A cousin inherited it, wouldn't sell it to me. Instead he donated it to the VFW in Seymour Iowa when he couldn't find ammo for it.

That was 30 years ago. I wonder if it's still there (it had a broken stock).

14. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

I just saw the same posting on Armslist for Texas (on a hunt for a Garand), this raised a few red flags...
    The post was modified to include a bringback story, the price was different, but the pictures were exactly the same. Maybe this is a scam or someone copied it and saw a good was to make a few grand?