"I Designed A Pillow That Safely & Comfortably Stores a Handgun. What do you think?"

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by SecurityPillow, Aug 26, 2008.

1. SecurityPillow

SecurityPillow New Member

Hello Everyone,

I recently designed a memory foam pillow that safely & comfortably holds most handguns. This pillow also has the ability to store valuables as a theft deterrent. This product is still in the developmental stages and is not currently for sale. Please click the following link for the details...

www.SecurityPillow.com

What are your thoughts on this concept? Any suggestions or advice?

Thank you for your time!

The Security Pillow TM
    "Sleep Tight."
    Pat. Pending

2. dirtysouth

dirtysouth New Member

i think its great. can you shoot through it if you have to. is there enough room to get a big mans hand in there. Have you thought about a body pillow for a rifle or shotgun?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008

3. cmarjeep

cmarjeep New Member

I think that is an awesome idea. It seems like safe handgun storage is an issue with many people with kids. It seems like it is hidden enough to keep kids out but still keeps it accessible at a moments notice. Looks like you have a great idea there.

4. junho806

junho806 New Member

at this point i guess you could just make a pillow that has a built in pistol
    :p
    but yeah this is a pretty cool product
    is it tempur-pedic?

5. BigO01

BigO01 New Member

Problem is out of sight is out of mind , presently my house gun sits on the nightstand in full view and when I leave it goes in the safe with it inside of a pillow if I were running late leaving not having it sit there could lead me forget to lock it up perhaps thinking I already had .

As far as keeping valuables if a burglary happened when no one was home pros often will "Toss the bed" knowing full well people do keep guns under pillows and mattresses , a gun left there or valuables of considerable weight or that could make noise would be found anyway .

I also not quite sure how comfortable sleeping on my 1911 would be .

6. SecurityPillow

We are still going through testing, but yes you could theoretically shoot the handgun while it's inside of the pillow. However it may cause burning from the explosion and hot edjected shell. This is a small price to pay in a life or death situation. I would however recommend removing the pistol from the pillow before use. Yes it will be big enough for big hands. The opening to the "pistol pocket" is 8" tall. Yes we will eventually have many variations of The Security Pillow. You name it... body pillows, throw pillows, contour pillows, down w/ foam core, king size, queen size, etc. Thank you for your feedback!

7. SecurityPillow

The memory foam is not made by tempur-pedic but it is almost identicle in consistency and comfort. Thank your for your feedback!

8. SecurityPillow

Responsible gun owners keep track of their firearms at all times, regardless of it being concealed or in the open on your nightstand. In my opinion a firearm should never be left out in the open & unattended. That's just asking for trouble!

I respectfully disagree with your second statement as well. The gun and valuables are firmly held in place and do not move freely. Aside from the weight the contents are virtually undetectable. In my opinion one's pillow is the last place that a burglar would be looking for valuables. You could also get creative and have a seperate Security Pillow dedicated to storing valuables, and keeping it in the lennon closet, or spare bedroom.

The Security Pillow will comfortably conceal most handguns! It's quite remarkable really. It works like a charm with my Glock 23, Springfield XD45 Full Size (Larger than your 1911), S&W Model 15 4" barrell, and Ruger Security Six .357 6" barrell.

Thank you for your feedback!

9. Smoke

Smoke New Member

What kind of price range are we looking at? Seems like a pretty good idea to me and I wouldnt even need to sleep on it as there isnt annyone sleeping right beside me atm :(. Altho I would probably sleep better with that thing beside me :D.

10. opaww

opaww New Member

The only problem I see with this is the loving pillow fight some couples get into as part of their matting ritual at night. SMACK….OOOPPPP’S sorry honey I forgot the gun was in there, no the large lump is not to big.

11. Chester

Chester New Member

Looks like it could also be of use as a silencer also

12. Mark F

Mark F New Member

It's an interesting concept and certainly worth persuing.

godspeed to you!

13. fapprez

fapprez New Member

Looks like a winner to me. Great idea. What do you project the retail price will be?

14. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

It would be a bummer if you were prone to having bad dreams and accidently blew your wifes' brains out...a lot of manufacturer liability there!
    How about a pillow that suffocates you while you sleep? We could pass them out for free at the DNC this week..

15. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

You know, I kind of like the idea, but I can see some legal battles ahead for you though.

In responsible hands, I think that would be a great asset to any house.

I would agree that a burgler looking to loot the place would not be looking at the pillows, but I would expect them to toss the bed and check for money under the matress. If the weight is there, they may notice.

Best of luck with the product. Thanks for giving us a sneak peak!

JD

16. JPBeck

JPBeck New Member

Fire that gun one time without taking it out of the pillow and it will most likely jam. No offense but I pass.

Three things:
    1) It'd take me more time to get the pistol out than to grab my 1911 from my bio safe next to the bed.
    2) I agree with one of the above posters when he says "out of sight out of mind".
    3) Having been burglarized I know for a fact that one of the first things a burglar does is to toss the bed-- the weight of that pillow would be a dead give away if someone got complacent and left their pistol in the pillow (which brings us back to point 1).

I realize that the complacent factor isn't your problem-- I'm listing why I personally wouldn't buy a pillow holster. Besides the reasons I listed... I don't think my wife would want a loaded gun pointed at her, in a pillow, under a pillow, or anywhere in our bed.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  17. BigO01

BigO01 New Member

One thing that you may or may not have taken into consideration for your Pillow is this .

What happens when that foam burns ?

Does it give off a toxic gas that will kill people ?

I know it may sound odd but several years ago I do recall some bedding being recalled for just this reason , some consumer advocacy groups test products for things like this and if there is a danger with it you will be drowned in law suits . People have been reported to have died due to this in home fires .

Another thing is how fire retardant is it ? If someone fires their gun while still inside of it can it catch fire ?

You have to be careful especially with an overseas manufacture that might start cutting corners once you get the ball rolling so they can make larger profits .

Lastly since you intend for people to sleep with it how will it hold up to repeated washing and drying and what are the instructions for that ? Will certain detergents damage it ? Is the expected life time long enough to balance out the increase in price over what we normally do now which is to use night stands and lock boxes ?

Lastly and this is a huge thing where some people "Women mostly" are concerned will it fit inside of the standard pillow cases ?

Hate to sound like I'm trying to throw a wet blanket on your invention I hope it is 100% safe and makes you millions overnight .

Good luck

18. SecurityPillow

Thank you for your feedback Dillinger! That is a very valid concern you have regarding the legal issues. You see, The Security Pillow will be used at ones own risk. There will be proper legal disclosures and insurance to handle this. Let's face it the pillow is not more dangerous than the gun. It is no more dangerous than having it on your hip or shoulder.

19. SecurityPillow

Thank you for your feedback! You would at least get one round off and that's a lot better than none in a life or death situation. However I would have to recommend removing the pistol from the pillow before firing.

1. You would be surpised at how quickly you can retrieve the pistol from the pillow. With the combination of the sock being permenantly fixed inside of the pillow and it being made with a slick spandex material it is actually quite fast. I'd be willing to bet that it's faster than your biosafe. Besides if the intruder is already in your room and you have a split second to get your pistol then your biosafe just wont cut it.

2. I am not sure what you mean by this statement?

3. I have also been robbed and they sure didn't touch my pillows. They did however get away with my digital handgun safe (similar to your biosafe) in my night stand, which was bolted in, among other things. Even though the handgun is concealed very well and it is highly unlikely that a burglar would find it, I would definitely have to recommend locking it up in a heavy, permanently attached wall safe while it's not in use. I use my favorite carry piece (Glock 23) in the pillow and that thing goes everywhere with me. I just slide it in place every night before going to bed.

I am sorry to hear that your wife wouldn't be comfortable with a loaded gun pointed at her head. Did you know the pillow is ambidextrous and can simply be pointed away from her head? Storing a handgun in this pillow is no less secure than carring it on your hip, in your pocket, on your shoulder, or any other holster for that matter.

20. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Wouldn't work for me - I'm always flipping the damned thing over looking for the cool spot. If I've gotta depend on sleeping with my gun to stay safe, I might as well go back into the service...