How to store NIB AR

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by clr8ter, May 18, 2013.

1. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

What do you guys think; Would it be OK to take a NIB Colt AR, and just leave it as is, in the box for any length of time? Or should it be taken out, and something done to it? Or left alone, but removed from the box, and kept in the safe........

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool New Member

Put it in a ziplock gun bag. Like vci.

3. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I would leave it in the box as is. Why u ask? That's what it was designed to be done with. It could be sitting on someone's cool, dry, shelf forever for all Colt knew...

4. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I ask because no telling when I'll shoot it. I have next to no ammo for it, so it may not get shot this season or next, who knows? I am wondering if the factory packs guns to sit on the shelf for an unlimited ammount of time, if need be.

5. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Usually most guns manufacturers oil them up to sit in the bag indefinitely until who knows when they may be sold. Lately they don't sit on the shelves much, but other times it could be months. If you haven't cleaned it yet, it will be fine in the bag. if you have a safe, I'd keep it in there, just make sure the bolt and barrel etc is oiled. Check it once a year it should be fine, unless you live in a really humid or salt air climate.

6. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool New Member

They do, but the dealers always take them out of the factory bag to verify the serial number. They even do it with clear bags for some reason.

7. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Send it to me. I will shoot, clean and oil it for you. :p

8. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

OK, sounds good.
    Jpyle, that's a very nice offer, but I'm keeping the 1st round for myself!:p:p

9. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Colt already shot it for you and left it dirty. Shoot it some more!