How to install sling swivels! Please help

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by VazDaGoon, Jun 1, 2013.

1. VazDaGoon

VazDaGoon New Member

Hey guys, I have a maverick 88 and I have no idea how to install the swivels I purchased. I know I have to drill on a specific area of the stock but that's pretty much it. Can anyone help me out?

2. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

can u take pics of what parts you got, and your new gun, to show us all what ya got :)

3. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

see the little stud on the bottom left of the gunstock? Thats where one generally is. Military guns are usually found near the edge of the gun down there, while wood hunting guns are generally places about 2 to 3 inches from the buttpad
    [​IMG]

4. VazDaGoon

VazDaGoon New Member

image-4144493922.jpg

image-1635845041.jpg

image-937127929.jpg

image-3451967099.jpg

image-3947517466.jpg

5. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

ahh a synthetic stock. You have to remove the 2 end screws of the buttstock to see where is the best place to position the screw, some places they may be solid, other places are hallow

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

7. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Make sure where you drill it is perfectly centered on the edge of the bottom

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the small square spot on the buttstock is where the sling swivel goes. a pilot hole will have to be drilled for it, slightly under the size of the screw part of the stud.

the end of the magazine tube cap should be threaded. mine is. you need a swivel stud that has the same threads and just screw it in and mount your swivels and sling.

9. VazDaGoon

VazDaGoon New Member

So all I need is the swivel stud?

10. VazDaGoon

VazDaGoon New Member

So just to be clear. I have to drill one of the studs I already have to the butt stock then purchase a separate swivel stud to fit the other end?

11. Axxe55

okay as MM13 said that is the wrong kit for your shotgun. need to order or buy one for a Mossberg 500.

the stud is the part that goes into the buttstock and fore end that holds the swivel. the swivel is the part that the sling threads into.

here is a link to a kit i have used before many times. from Brownell's.

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-a...l-sets/magazine-cap-swivel-sets-prod9035.aspx

12. VazDaGoon

VazDaGoon New Member

Ok cool. I think I got it now. When I drill the one that goes into the buttstock do I have to take the entire stock out or do I just drill it as is?

13. VazDaGoon

VazDaGoon New Member

You know what ticks me off? I specifically told the sales associate at dicks I needed specific parts in order to install a sling and told him I had a mossberg maverick 88, at first he told me I didn't need anything except the sling then when I persisted, because I already had an idea, he just gave me the ones I have now. I even asked if he was sure and he looked at me in my face and lied. Smh.

14. Axxe55

lot's of salesman have no clue about guns, and he would have probably given the same answer if you were asking about a toaster!

15. ttsl

ttsl New Member

Call Brownell's Supply. YOu have to specificallly ask for a GUNSMITH, and get past the know nothing order takers. When you get the real deal guy, he will be able to help you.

16. VazDaGoon

VazDaGoon New Member

Thanks man.

17. VazDaGoon

VazDaGoon New Member

Are these good or the range?

image-1936537009.jpg

18. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

19. VazDaGoon

VazDaGoon New Member

20. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

ya don't really need a sling at the gun range. Take your time, get the right parts and before turkey hunting you will be all set. :)