how much does it cost to start reloading

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by 1911beast, Feb 28, 2011.

1. 1911beast

1911beast New Member

I have been thinking about reloading because I heard that it saves you a lot of money. All I'm asking you guys is if its smart to start reloading instead of buying my ammunition

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I think reloading for cost savings is a secondary reason at best. The ROI (Return On Investment) will take years unless you shoot 1,000s of rounds a month.

I think the real reason to reload is a tie between producing ammo that matches your firearm for accuracy/purpose or as a hobby that produces something far more useful than scrap-booking. :p

3. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

I would hazard to say that it really depends on your choice of equipment and accs...entry level, mid, or top of the line.

4. Richz99

Richz99 New Member

I'm just about to start... So far, I've spent about $250 on the basics, and I have everything I need for one caliber sans the consumables (bullets, brass, powder, & primer).

Now, I'm doing a lot of reading on which powder / primer I want to use, and more importantly where to buy it. I would much prefer to buy locally, but it looks like I may have to buy most of it on line.

Edit... Besides the internet, where does everyone go to buy reloading supplies?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  5. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 New Member

What are you shooting? .338 Win Mag or 9mm Luger? The numbers will be dramatically different depending caliber.
    Short answer is, yes it's worth it. but savings varies.

6. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I am still looking for any savings.

My problem is I keep buying more reloading stuff. Weather it is the annealing tools I just ordered or the flashy billet alum loading block I also just ordered or more bullets powder or primers. My poor savings account doesn't show it thats for sure.

The upfront cost can go from $200 to $10k depending on what you want to do and what you want to spend and what your feeding. Your not going to load for a Class III MG on a single stage rock chucker nor are you going to load for your deer rifle on a dillon 1050.

You need
    press
    dies
    bench
    powder measure
    shell holders
    trimmer
    tumbler
    good scale
    powder
    primers
    cases
    and bullets
    and two reloading manuals.

Depending on how you go about it you can spend a little or a lot.

7. 50of4064

50of4064 Lifetime Supporting Member

Here it goes....

Tell the wife that you need $800. ( I am basing this on a single stage press not a progressive )
    1st. Do your homework and start with a couple of reloading books, read, read, underline and highlight any thing you don't understand. and ask ?'s, either here or someone that you may know that reloads.
    2nd. Make a list of the must have's and would like to have's.
    3rd. Go research the prices and GO GET the must haves.
    4th. Then... tell the wife that you are a GOD and saved $75 on the stuff by paying cash and take her out to dinner. ( never mind how much you spent. you will need that $ for the would like to have's. )

Just saying.. been there.

Good luck!

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

shipping costs can be extreme for some online sales. powder and primers has hazmat charges bullets weigh a lot and often shipped by weight. know your shipping charges before you buy.

if i need a lot powder i will buy online and a lot means 10-20 pounds or more around there it offsets hazmat fees and beats local costs.

most of my reloading supplies i buy locally because of those fees and charges. most dealers in my area get good shpping rates by ordering in bulk so its cheaper in most cases for me to buy from them.

10. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

And to continue from Jon M's post. If you need something (like a type of powder) that your local gun shop doesn't carry, ask them if they can order it with their usual powder/primer orders, they are usually happy to have the business.
    They are already paying the Hazmat for their usual delivery, and while it may cost you a buck or two more per pound or 1k primers than ordering online, unless you are ordering for yourself in large quantities its hard to offset the usual $25 hazmat fee

11. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I on the other hand buy nothing local unless I HAVE TO.

The last time I went to Gander Mnt. Primers were $7.99 per 100 for regular CCI small rifle and $8.99 per 100 for Small rifle match. Hodgdon Varget was $27 a #1 and benchmark was $33 a pound. EFF that crap. I got 10k wolf primers for $310 with shipping and hazmat.

Powder I stocked up the last time I went to a gunshow 3 years ago. I shoot Varget in the 223 for my remmy 700 and I shoot H4895 and H335 in my AR. I have some others but that is about it for that my 308 I am still working on but RL 15 or RL 17 are going to be for that. 45acp is nothing but titegroup. I have 5# of it and at 5gr a load that a lot of effing 45acp ammo....

If you don't have enough of an order to combat $25 hazmat. Get with some buddies and see what they need. Gather orders and money from all split the shipping evenly and then when it comes in bang your even further ahead.

12. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 New Member

Holy crap! $8 to $9 dollars per tray?!?? Why don't they just take your wallet at gunpoint, & cut out all the foreplay? Here I was, thinking $30ish + per 1000 wasn't all that good (sportsman's warehouse.) Seems downright decent in comparison.

13. Eric0424

Eric0424 New Member

At $80-90 / 1000 it sounds like Gander is charging primer shortage prices. During the ammo and component shortage I had to pay nearly $100 for one box of large pistol primers through Gun Broker, it was the only place I could find primers for the new 45 I just bought. I managed to ration those out until the prices returned to normal.

The current online price for primers is about $30 / 1000, which is what I was paying before everything became scarce. I haven't checked locally to see how they're priced. The HazMat charge is usually $25, but by buying your powder and primers from the same vendor you will only be charged the one HazMat fee. Although that's usually easier said than done.

14. tomtsr

tomtsr New Member

Cost calculators

Reloading costs vary depending on what you are loading and when and where you buy your supplies.

I buy my powder and primers at Sportmans Warehouse so no shipping. I buy my bullets from Precision Delta Precision Delta - The Ammunition of Champions. Shipping is included with the purchase of 2000 rounds and can be split between bullets. Jacketed bullets at the cost of buying lead. Casting your own is way cheaper.

Here are a couple of cost calculators to help determine overall cost. The bottom one includes the cost of press and such and tells how many rounds you would have to load to offset the cost of equipment.

Handloading Cost Calculator
    Handgun Cartridge Reloading Cost Calculator

Cost is a factor but I really enjoy the stress relief of reloading. Yes, reloading itself is something to take seriously but sometimes a different stress is good.

Happy reloading

15. larrymac1

larrymac1 New Member

One way to help your reloading costs on powder and primers is to go to your range, find other people reloading and pool together so your spliting the hazmat costs. Most online places let you have 70 pounds for the hazmat fee. I just can't afford 8 - 8# jugs of H335 by myself. Not always will people reload at the same rate so you try to pick up several people. When your ready to order, email them and see who else is ready or real close to ready to order primers or powder. I can get H335 8 pound jug online with hazmat fees cheaper than I can go to Cabela's and buy it, but it just hurts to pay that fee all by myself and then add shipping.

16. locutus

locutus New Member

Reloading can save you 30-50 percent on your ammo if done right.

Join, or organize, a gun club, set up under the non-profit corporation of your state. Register with the state as a corporation.

No problems getting an FFL in the club's name.

Get enough folks together that you can order in bulk. This cuts your shipping and hazmat fees to almost nothing.

Example, I order 32 pounds of powder at a time (case of four 8 lb jugs) and get it for about $12-$15 per lb.

The club secretary orders primers in lots of 1/2 million. No hazmat fee, no shipping charge. Haven't bought any lately (got 50,000 last order) but I only paid $13.00 per thousand.

Bulk purchases save big bucks. Butv ya gotta save up a few bucks, and order a lot of stuff at once. You can't expect the club secretary to order 1000 primers, and a pound of powder, and be able to get these prices.

My club orders components twice a year. That way, we get big orders together.

17. larrymac1

larrymac1 New Member

Best idea I have heard yet.

18. carbon15man

carbon15man New Member

Any idea when y'all are gonna do it again

19. beaglesam

beaglesam New Member