home defense shotgun

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by akers06, Oct 19, 2012.

1. akers06

akers06 New Member

I can't believe I'm actually starting a thread about home defense guns because I get so tired of seeing threads about them. But I'm going to break down and buy me a cheap one I really like the winchester 1300s so I was thinking about trying to find me a used defender. Also looking at the 8 shot maverick 88 I don't see where a man could go wrong with one because they are priced so cheap msrp is $223. I was also looking at the Stoeger p350 and the benelli nova tactical. Im not an 870 fan so please don't start recommending those. I would just like your guys input.

2. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

In own a Maverick 88 eight shot shotgun. It has served me well, shoots well for an 18" barrel. I shot skeet twice with mine and did well. Once to break the gun in and see if it was worth betting my life on. The second time was to position a light on it.

If you want a more versatile gun you will have to settle for the six shot model. The Mossberg field barrels do not fit the eight shot maverick. A dedicated self defense shotgun is not an issue for me. I have several shotguns.

You will have a hard time finding an 8 shot at retail or below. Almost everyone tries to sell the eight shots well above retail. I paid a bit too much for my maverick 88. After trying to negotiate several times I just got frustrated and bought one.

3. akers06

akers06 New Member

Yea I have other shotguns for all other uses I just want one for self defense and I would like to have an 8 shot

4. akers06

akers06 New Member

How much did u give for yours

5. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

I mix 2 3/4" slugs and 3" buckshot in my Maverick 88. Mixing the shell lengths will allow you to get 9 shots in the 88. I have emptied it out several times on deer drives. Mixing the shell lengths does not cause any problems with the function of the shotgun.

6. 303tom

303tom New Member

I just use my model 12 riot I have had for years loaded with 7, 2&3/4in. maximum load BB`s................

7. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

Around $260 out the door. I might have saved $30 or $40 by waiting. I really wanted the gun. I might still be waiting trying to save a little money. I sleep a lot better with it beside my bed. All my 12 ga shotguns beside the maverick have a 28" or a rifled slug barrel. They are either hard to handle indoors or hard to shoot at very close range. Plus the Maverick 88 is very easy to get in and out of my tool box.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  8. akers06

akers06 New Member

That's the problem I have and the reason I want a gun devoted to home defense

9. phildenton

phildenton New Member

Stevens has a $200 pump, never handled one though.

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

Your talking about the basic bottom eject pump, right? I heard from non owners that one is a piece of crap. I'd like to hear from actual owners, because I'm kind of interested in that one.

11. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I don't see how u can go wrong with the Maverick 88 either. For a gun you will want to break in/practice a little with and then play with once or twice a year probably, sounds ideal. Note that the bigger capacity gun has a longer barrel tho... The standard 5+1 might be what. and all, you need, especially if you can put a SpeedFeed +4 stock and/or a sidesaddle on it so all the ammo you'll want is right there on board when you simply pick it up.

Attached Files:

12. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

Try a 113 year old Winchester 1897 riot. You just can't kill'em! You can slam fire the old ones by holding back the trigger and pump like hell. I don't think 8 rounds are needed, cause usually one shot does the trick.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  13. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Hey, look, a 25-year-retired NYC Motor-Scooter cop!

14. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

The retired scooter cop, who's had some experience, recommends you take off that light that's on the top of your shotgun, cause it might make a nice target for someone to shoot at in the dark and maybe you'll live as long as me. This ain't the movies.

15. trapgunsmith77

trapgunsmith77 New Member

my model 12 loaded with 2 slugs and 3 rounds of double 00 buck is my tactical home defense shotgun .. plus i can use it for shooting trap and birds also not just all the home invaders i get every year haha !!

Attached Files:

16. firedawg60

firedawg60 New Member

I've got a Mossberg 500 Special Purpose (Thunder Ranch). 5 + 1, It's a good gun for what I want it for.

17. ss33204

ss33204 New Member

Mossberg 500, 00buck

18. kingfish15

kingfish15 New Member

My Mossy 500 now serves as a backup. My primary home defense weapon is a Taurus Judge loaded with 5 Winchester PDX-1 rounds. Much better than the Mossy for moving around the house. Mush less chance of banging into things. And the 5 rounds of PDX-1 are adequate to take care of anything at home defense distances. Would a 12 gauge be better. Of course, and a 10 gauge even better yet, but you really don't need anything larger than the .410 PDX rounds. One round of that will stop any single person threat you may encounter and you would still have 4 rounds left for his friends, or shoot them all into your single BG. After 2 rounds in the same place, the next 3 would just go through a hole. They will do the job and do it well. Worried about lots of BGs all at once? By another Judge and carry them both.

19. phildenton

phildenton New Member

Might be better to load the judge with 45lc. 410 loses most of its power with that short barrel. 410 option in a handgun is more for snakes, dogs, and other smaller varmints.

20. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

At home defense distances, I have little doubt a load of PDX1 would put someone down.