holster for middle back?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by WhereItsAt, Jan 17, 2008.

1. WhereItsAt

WhereItsAt New Member

Lots of people shove their gun between their belt and back, are there any holsters that clip onto your pants/belt there and keep the gun from falling down your pants?

2. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

Yes there are but this is not a great way to carry. If you are pushed or fall on the gun, you stand a good chance of seriously hurting your back. This has happened. I prefer a good inside waistband or paddle holster carried just behind the hip on the strong side. Mine is a Fobus but there are TONS out there.

3. supergus

supergus New Member

Agreed. If you fall backwards on the gun, you could do serious, permanent damage to your spinal column.

4. Boris

Boris New Member

I love my Fobus but they are not very secure.....Look at Horseshoe Leather in the UK superb designs run by Andy Arratooian (sorry Andy I haven't spelt it right).......A one man band and holsters hand made for professionals

5. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

Hmmmmmmm. My Glock snaps into my Fobus securely and I can't see how, outside of a pretty good yank on the gun, it could come out. Both my holsters are like that.

6. Boris

Boris New Member

I have one for my CZ75B (which I use a lot) and for a Glock 17, they are great when on training days with the dogs but on the odd jobs when out doing operational work, I wouldn't use one. I have had them a while and they tend to loosen up with regular use... Just an observation as I said I like them. but if you do any energetic stuff you might just lose the gun.

7. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

I've had mine about 4 years or so but I don't wear them every day (can't get a CCW here in Liberal NY) so maybe that's why mine are still tight. Thanks for the info.

8. Fozzy_Bear

Fozzy_Bear New Member

I just use a Left-Handed, inside-the-pants holster. When you put a left handed holster in the middle of your back, it is spun around to where it's positioned for your right hand.

I have a small carry, and a big fat butt... and I've never had any problems with pressure on my spine.

9. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

And you won't as long as you don't fall or get pushed onto your back. This is more of a problem for police who may carry a back up gun or are working undercover becuase their chance of getting into a scuffle are greater than your regular citizen, but if you get mugged or into a fight and land on your back, damage is likely to occur.

10. Fozzy_Bear

Fozzy_Bear New Member

I guess I'm not getting what you said.

I mean, Sure. I can see that if you take an impact to a piece of metal touching your spine, then that energy is transfered. But I can't seem to imagin a situation (falling, pushing or the like) where an impact that would not OTHERWISE casue dammage would be any worse with a holster between you and the source of dammage.
    If the spine were truely flat, then yeah. But if it's in the "small of the back" then you would have to be free-falling in a fetal position and hit exactly on the weapon... I'm not seein' it happen in real life...

You mentioned that you know of this happening... Could you give a few more details?

--- I'm new around THIS site, so you might not know me yet ( I have been on a few Jeep-focused sites for years though)... But just so you know... I'm not trying to pick a fight or just be generally Ornery... I'm seriously trying to understand your point. ---

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  11. supergus

supergus New Member

One example would be slipping on wet or icy steps while decending them. Not long ago I was coming down the stairs in my house with socks on and I slipped. (I know, you don't wear socks outside and your front steps don't have carpet!)The stairs had a carpeted runner but the ends on the treads were exposed. I landed on my back on the corner of one of the treads, about three stairs down, just mm's from my spine, and I have a sweet scar to show for it. I'm pretty sure if I had a gun in the small of my back and if I had landed slightly farther to the middle of my spine, there's a good chance I might not have gotten up. I know you may think "what are the chances of that happening?" Well, you use jackstands while working on your Jeep, right? Why? because there's a chance the jack might slip. It only takes one time. That's why people don't stand under a tree during lightening and why they wear seatbelts while driving, AND why we carry a concealed weapon. The chances are slim but why take the chance? Just my .02

12. Fozzy_Bear

Fozzy_Bear New Member

OK. all good points.

Thanks.

so, what to You use supergus?

13. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

Fozzy, I read about it happening to a couple of cops a few years ago in a magazine. There was a warning to to carry this way. If I can get more info for you, I'll let ya know.

14. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

Quotes from some Law Enforcement forums.

Avoid SOB Carry

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You can carry many of the IWB holsters in SOB, but I would personally recommend against it. Last winter, I took a spill on ice and fell on a curb, landing on my back. I hit hard! I had a baby Glock tucked behind my left hip in an IWB holster, which was a lot closer to my tail bone than was safe. The holster had sort of scooted closer to my spine over the course of the morning before falling on my sit-me-down. Anyway, while the Glock seemed to take the force of the impact, I ended up with a big lump on my backside from the gun. I am fortunant that I did not break anything. I had injured my back, pinching a nerve in roughly the same location a couple of years before and was really worried that the old injury was going to flair up again.

Nowdays, I carry my backup gun on the hip, in a clip IWB in front, on my ankle, in coat pockets (in a holster, of course)...anywhere but SOB. I had heard the warnings about carrying anything in the SOB in case you got knocked down during a fight, but I never considered it would happen to me while simply trying to walk out to the parking lot. Incidently, the trigger pin of my Glock 27 came out in pieces a few months later, and I suspect that it wasn't from normal wear and tear."

"When I was an LEO, a friend who carried that way fell off a fence pushing the gun into his spinal column and caused serious nerve damage forcing him to retire quite a few years early."

"Get in a scuffle and try to stop someone from getting your gun and using it on you. Like I said you are halfway into an arm lock. Try to keep someone from bumping your gun in a crowd and being made. Not so easy with SOB. I was in a very crowded environment the other day and was glad I appendix carried. Drop something in a crowded store and try not to print while picking if up while carrying SOB......Plenty of reasons. I was out walking about three weeks ago and slipped on some super slippery ice and went down so fast I hardly had time to react. I landed flat on my back HARD. I'm glad I wasn't carrying SOB. If it's for you, go for it. I think it's nuts and it's the last place I will ever carry a gun."

15. Fozzy_Bear

Fozzy_Bear New Member

Cool. I get it now.

The part I hadn't thought of was an elevated surface you land on. Steps and curbs would be just the kind of thing to do it.

I'm gonna rethink the way I carry.

Does the way you mentioned in post #2 above ever give you problems with seatbelts when you are driving?

16. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

I have carried in that position but I'm left handed so keep that in mind. After the belt is buckled, just position the gun so it's not interfering with the belt. Once you do it, I think you'll see it's not a problem.

17. supergus

supergus New Member

so, what to You use supergus?

I'm still waiting to get my carry weapon, but I'll be using either IWB or OWB (depending on the weather) strong side. I just sold my house so I'm goin' gun huntin'!!:D :D :D

18. DoubleAction

DoubleAction New Member

The Small Of Back (SOB) holsters is one which I seldom use, outside of that of deceiving those around me that I'm carrying. Rarely do I give any thought to using such a holster these days because of the steel rods I currently have in my own back.

By opening the sides of my jacket, the fact that I'm carrying is not revealed. This would relieve any suspicions on the part of others who might have reason to think otherwise. This particular steel frame pistol might appear to be very uncomfortable, where as, it really isn't, but a smaller, lighter, pistol or revolver might well be a much better choice for this holster.

[​IMG]

19. DoubleAction

DoubleAction New Member

I forgot to add that the holster is the Galco S.O.B.

20. Fozzy_Bear

Fozzy_Bear New Member

Typo. "Do" not "to"

What type of holster DO you use?