High Standard Model "B"

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by mattsk8, Sep 18, 2013.

1. mattsk8

mattsk8 New Member

I recently inherited this semi-auto hand gun from my grandpa. Before I do anything w/ it, I was wondering if there's anyone here that has any familiarity w/ it.

My first issue is, last night I was just looking it over. When I pulled the slide back, it slid right off (cutting the crap out of the palm of my hand).

I watched a youtube video on dis-assembly/field strip takedown, but the version in the video I found is a little different than mine. My version has the lever on the back upper side of the gun that you press down on and it has the longer barrel.

Can anyone here help me begin to asses the working condition of this gun? My grandpa actually gave me 3 of his guns and I considered selling this one for different 22, but after reading up on these I guess they're pretty decent. At this point, I'd like to learn more about upkeep and if or how to fix the slide.

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Is this the video you are referring to?
    http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=/
    The operations should be very similar.
    Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the gun. If you can post detailed pics I may be able to be of some help.

3. mattsk8

mattsk8 New Member

Thanks! I'll take some pics of it tonight. When I click the link you posted, it just takes me to YouTube's main page.

This was the one video I found. My gun is very similar to the one in the video, it just has a 2" longer barrel and my release button for the slide isn't a button on the top of the gun, its a lever on the side.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD43GAZ3TZ0[/ame]

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Yeah. That's the video I attempted to post. Lol

5. BillM

BillM New Member

Cut and pasted from somewhere: (looks like there are a couple of versions of the B--with different procedures) If yours is
    the type with the button on top ofthe slide, it's the same as my HD--and if someone has taken it apart without following
    the proper procedure, you need the compress the recoil spring then push the button on top of the slide to hold the spring
    compressed.

"Does the gun have a round button on top of the slide or a round or rectangular button protruding from the rear of the slide? Here are the disassembly procedures AFTER removing the magazine and making sure the gun is unloaded.

If it has a button on the back of the slide, push that button in and at the same time move the rear lever on the LEFT side downward and hold it while pulling the slide off to the rear. To reassemble, put the slide back on while holding the side lever down, then push the rear button and hold it while releasing the side lever. The lever should snap up parallel with the slide and there should be spring tension on the slide - not, push the rear button again. If the lever still does not snap up or there is no spring tension on the slide, come back, you have done something wrong.

If there is a round button on top of the slide, to disassemble, pull the slide all the way to the rear and push the top button down and hold it down while you push the slide forward all the way. There should be no spring tension on the slide. Then turn the lever on the right side down and hold it while pulling the slide off to the rear. Whatever you do, DO NOT force the lever down without disengaging the recoil spring. If you do, you have a gunsmith job coming up or you may have ruined the gun. To reassemble, put the slide back on and push it forward while holding the right side lever down. Release the lever and it should come back up. Then pull the slide all the way to the rear. The button on top of the slide should pop up and spring tension is restored to the slide. "

6. mattsk8

mattsk8 New Member

Took some pics last night and got tinker w/ the gun a bit. I think I may have figured out what happened (why the slide slid off).

Here's a pic of the gun itself.

[​IMG]

This is a pic of it w/ the slide off. The metal pin that sticks up on the back is sharp, and sliced my hand pretty good (probably should've had stitches). My brother in law pointed out that I've already been injured by this gun and haven't even fired it yet :eek:.

[​IMG]

This is what I'm pretty sure the issue was. If you look where I'm pointing my pic, there's a small channel carved out of that small rod at the end of the spring. That channel is supposed to grip the pin that sticks up on the gun (the pin that sliced my hand). The rod was spun, so the small channel couldn't catch that pin and therefore the slide just slid off when I pulled (mildly hard) on it.

[​IMG]

Can anyone tell me what the function of this catch on the front of the slide is supposed to do? I'll post 2 pics, one of the actual catch while the slide is off, and one of me pointing to it's location w/ the slide on the gun.

The catch is the little thing at the top of the slide.

[​IMG]

And this is where its located on the gun w/ the slide on it.

[​IMG]

7. mattsk8

mattsk8 New Member

(One more pic)

I also think I figured out how to tell if the pin is correctly grabbing the channel in the small rod. When you look at this picture, at the back of the slide there's a metal rod sticking out, this metal rod is the spring loaded rod w/ the channel carved out for the pin on the gun itself to catch. If the pin is properly seated in this rod, when I pull the slide back, the pin that can be seen in this pic will move into the slide as I pull it back.

My only fear is that maybe it's worn and just let loose. I hope not but I'm a bit nervous whenever I pull the slide back. I definitely don't hold like I did when it sliced my hand open!!

[​IMG]

8. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

It Sounds like the gun was put back together wrong. Cycle it a bunch of times to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    It's hard to see the Pics on my phone but I think the "catch" you're looking at is your ejector. Again, It's tough to see on the phone. I could be wrong.

9. mattsk8

mattsk8 New Member

Thanks! I did cycle it a few times last night, but I will some more tonight as well. It seems to be working at this point.

This is my first handgun. What is the function of the ejector? And how do I know its working properly? While cycling it, it doesn't seem to hold anything. The small catch just slides into the gun frame itself when the slide is in the forward postition.

Also, I did some searching and found this forum, I may post over there as well.
    Rimfirecentral.com High Standard

10. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

You'll know if the ejector is working when you shoot it. If it isn't the empty casings won't be ejected from the gun and the new round won't chamber. Basically the gun won't cycle properly.

11. BillM

BillM New Member

The part you are asking about--the little spring loaded hook on the slide--
    is the EXTRACTOR. It hooks the rim of the chambered cartridge, and when
    the slide moves rearward, either manually or as a result of the gun firing,
    it extracts (pulls) the casing out of the chamber.

On the top of the frame in your picture with the slide off, there is a little
    nub sticking up on the left side, just to the rear of the magazine well
    opening. That's the EJECTOR. As the slide (with the casing held to it by
    the extractor) moves rearward, the ejector hits the rim and ejects the
    casing from the gun.

Most (but by no means all) guns, regardless of action type, have some
    form of extractor and ejector.

Nice old model B. Feed it standard velocity ammo and it will still be
    a functional family heirloom for your grandchildren. Hypervelocity ammo
    and Mini-Mags are NOT the ammo for this one.

The recoil spring in the old High Standard fixed barrel guns can be a little tricky, and the guns can be ammo sensitive and require a little magazine
    tuning---but they are and will continue to be crazy accurate and a pleasure
    to shoot.:)

12. mattsk8

mattsk8 New Member

Thank you for this info!! Sorry for the late response but I wanted to shoot it before I got back, and yesterday I finally got to :D.

All kinds of problems. For starters, I got a quick lesson in how not to hold it; when I fired it I had my thumb too high and the slide kicked back and took part of my thumb knuckle's skin w/ it :eek: (won't be holding it like that again!).

But, the first issue is the slide. I'm not sure what the thing is called, but in the picture of the gun on page one w/ the slide off it, it has the sharp nub that sticks up on the top rear of the pistol that is supposed to grab the spring loaded pin located in the slide itself (the pin is in the picture just below the pic of the gun w/ the slide off). This spring loaded pin has a channel to allow the "sharp nub" to catch it, and the pin keeps spinning in the slide so the channel can't grab the nub, which allows the slide to basically come off.

I'm guessing this may be related, but I also had issues w/ the clip jamming. When I shot it, I got the first 3 rounds off fine, but the 4th didn't fire.

There is a gunsmith here in Grand Rapids MI that says they're familiar w/ these guns. Would it be better to take it to the smith and just have it fixed, or should I figure this out myself so I know how to fix and clean it for future use or issues??

13. Mongo

Mongo New Member

Those High Standard pistols are close to target grade, very accurate. The down side is replacement magazines are hard to find and expensive.