hi point

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by jekyllandhide, Jul 23, 2012.

1. jekyllandhide

jekyllandhide New Member

i want a cheap gun to protect my home looked at the hi point 45. but i dont know a lot about them want a glock 40. but i can't afford one right now so who's got one and who likes em.

2. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Perhaps you should broaden your horizons.

Google J&G sales.

3. orangello

orangello New Member

Shotguns make good home security devices and a less expensive than many handguns. My go-to is my Mossberg 500; consider them or their budget model, the Maverick 88.

4. Gert999

Gert999 New Member

ya look for something in between i got a ruger p95 for 360 more then a hi point less then a glock and good gun

5. KeysKelly

KeysKelly New Member

If money is the main reason I would look at a Taurus. I think Taurus is by far the best kept secret in handguns. A lot of people don't like them but I am a big fan. I own 3 Taurus handguns and have owned several others.

6. jekyllandhide

jekyllandhide New Member

i heard the millitary look into useing them and did,nt couse of jams not sure just heard and i have a rem shotgun but its so long if you go though your house poke it though a door and they grab it its not yours anymore a pistol is easier to keep close and keep you safe a shotgun is for shoting though doors and making alot of damage im sure some will disagree but i dont like a long gun for clareing a house.

7. KeysKelly

KeysKelly New Member

Where did you hear the Military was looking at Hi-Point? My beliefe is "Never say never" but I highly doubt any brance of the US Military was considering using Hi-Point.

8. jekyllandhide

jekyllandhide New Member

a marine he said they look at a couple to replace the m9 for a cheaper side arm but they didnt for reliabilty resons

9. JPCooter

JPCooter New Member

Grab a copy of shotgun news and check out Sarco, they have several handguns the Arcus 94
    ( hi-power copy 9mm) for $175 or a Rock Island Armory .45 (1911) for about $300.

10. JPCooter

JPCooter New Member

Not to mention the Shotgun news has several other distributors that have pretty good deals too.

11. jekyllandhide

jekyllandhide New Member

thanks it will help

12. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Hi Point = better than a sharpened stick

13. orangello

orangello New Member

I installed a shorter barrel and a stock with pistol grip on my shotgun, to make it handier for inside work. Each to his own.

Don't forget about used firearms available at pawn shops and such; the economy has a lot of people pawning/selling their firearms.

14. jekyllandhide

jekyllandhide New Member

Yea i agree and pawn shops around here want as much for used guns that you put 100 bucks with there price you can buy a new last i checked he had a marlin 30/30 for 300 and you can by s new at wal mart for 350 or so

15. orangello

orangello New Member

You have to shop around and be sure to act like you are looking for a "toy" that you don't really "need". "Toy" prices are more negotiable than "need" prices, IME.

The last firearm i bought used was a cz75b with almost no wear, but with some discoloration on a part of the slide from sitting in the same spot too long, $400.

16. jekyllandhide

jekyllandhide New Member

Theres only two pawn shops in town and the only good gun shop is 30 min away

17. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

This is just my opinion on HiPoint...

I'll probably never own one. I don't make a ton of money...but parlay what I do make, with the priority I place in firearms...and I feel I can afford a lot better. They're ugly as sin, feel odd, are top heavy, and just altogether awkwardly weighted. But from everthing I've seen, they do shoot pretty okay. Hmm...maybe someday I'll buy one just for the heck of it. But I'm fortunate enough to have options.

For the price, they seem to be excellent guns. (<---) Just take note of that context. If you can afford better, get better. If your budget is under $200, go for it. However; if defending your castle on a budget is the only priority, do look into a basic pump shotgun. There's really no better 'bang for your buck' home defense option than a pump 12ga.

18. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I had a hipoint .40 cal for awhile, I bought it new just to plink. In hindsight I'd take the 200 bucks I spent on it and put it down on a new rock island .45.

I've got a rock island and love it, I wouldn't trade or sell it for nothing. It shoots great, has never jammed since I've had it (even with hollow points) and only cost me 300 bucks.

19. jekyllandhide

jekyllandhide New Member

Ok il check it out but i do have a ****gun in the top of my closet just wanted sinething liter i will still have the shotgun but with a pistol me and my wife can both defend

20. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member

Agree and I will take it a bit further. There is no way in hell any branch of the military or a branch of anything would consider the hi-point even if they were getting them for free.