Help identifying Automatica Espanola "Bufalo" 765 .32 cal

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by soonlar, Mar 15, 2009.

1. soonlar

soonlar New Member

I have a Automatica Espanola "Bufalo" 765 .32 cal that is my dad's gun (who got it from his dad (my Grandfather). My Grandfather was in WWI, not sure if that is where he picked it up or not or if it was just traded from a buddy way back then.

My Grandfather told my dad the firing pin was missing. I am not sure how to determine this and not really sure if I should even try to do a test fire since it is so old now. It has a 7 round clip with it, with some really old bullets (that I will never fire).

Does anyone know who makes this gun?
    What year it was produced?
    Where I can find an owners manual?
    Should I just take it to a gunsmith to have them look at it?

Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

2. JiroZero713

JiroZero713 New Member

Looks like some form of Browning gun....perhaps a Colt?

3. dcp1987

dcp1987 New Member

found it
    it's a bufalo 7.65mm made by gabilondo y urresti
    they were manufactured in between 1918 and 1925
    there are 2 versions with either 7-round or a 9-round magazine
    all the info i have on it is for the basic model without the ornate designs on it.
    the basic model in fair to good condition is worth between 100 and 125 bucks.

i hope that helps

4. soonlar

soonlar New Member

Thanks dcp1987!
    Do you think the ornate etching design makes the gun more valuable? Is the etching something done by the manfuacturer or maybe 3rd party or the owner? I haven't been able to find any pictures of one of these with the ornate gold etchings at all.

5. dcp1987

dcp1987 New Member

the ornate gold etchings most likely add value. especially if they are from the manufacturer. if its from an owner or a 3rd party it's probably doesn't change the price that much. personally i would get it cleaned up really nice and hang it on the wall. i don't think it's worth it to get a new firing pin unless it has alot of sentimental value. I can't see putting that much money into a gun that you wouldn't see a return on.

6. Dcomf

Dcomf New Member

It's a copy of the Browning 1910. Get it cleaned up and replace the firing pin and take it out and shoot it and enjoy.

7. WILDCATT

WILDCATT New Member

spanish gun

clean it and get a pin,put the ammo away as it is probably corrosive.the enjaving was probably done by manufaturere to raise the price,as spanish could do it cheaply.alot of those type guns were engraved.I lived close to that era.b 1924.:rolleyes:

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

As far as testing the firing pin- try this:

REMOVE the magazine. Cycle the action, and insure that the chamber is empty- no ammo in the pistol. Then do it again (because it is easier to do it twice than patch the hole in the ceiling, and explain it to your wife :eek:)

Find a skinny pencil that will fit into the barrel. Insert it with the eraser first. Point pistol up, release safety pull trigger. IF everything is in working order, and firing pin is in place, should pop the pencil up a a foot or more. Do not point it at your face.

If pencil pops up, recover it, check eraser. Should have a mark in the center from the firing pin striking it. Eraser cushions pin to prevent dry-fire damage.

9. POC

POC New Member

If this is a copy of the 1910, shouldn't a holster for a 1910 fit this gun?

Thanks,
    Patrick

10. WILDCATT

WILDCATT New Member

pistol

the ruby and buffalos ect may have been sold to french in WW1 I do know the ruby was issued to chauchat gunners.Johnson Smith co sold those mail order before WW2 for about $10.or less.I used to wish for one but $10 was a lot of money.my first factory job was $.35 an hour in the press room.or $14 a week.:rolleyes: