Good .22 Plinking Rifle?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by codydperry18, Nov 27, 2011.

1. codydperry18

codydperry18 New Member

Hi. I am looking to get a nice .22 here pretty soon for shooting cans and targets. I really want something that looks like an M4/16, MP5, or AK 47/74. I found a couple so far that look like an M4 and MP5.

HK Rimfire MP5A5- MSRP: $500 (H&K 22 Rimfire - MP5 A5)

American Tactical Imports MP5- MSRP: $423 (American Tactical Imports)

Chiappa Firearms M-Four-22- MSRP: $449.....Online Price: $381 (Chiappa Firearms M-Four 22 Rifle .22 LR 16in 28rd Black for sale - 19422-CHI - Tombstone Tactical)

Are any of these any good for can plinking and steel spinner targets? Any other reccomendations? My price limit would be about $500

2. humboldtshooter

humboldtshooter New Member

Ruger 10/22 is a great rifle. If you're looking for a more tactical look, they offer the SR-22 model. The 10/22 is onenof the most recommended .22 cals out there. I should be adding one to my collection soon.

3. humboldtshooter

Mossberg tactical .22 is a cheaper version of the AR style aswell. Around $250

4. codydperry18

codydperry18 New Member

Is the Mossberg Tactical .22 pretty reliable? Well made? Any problems with them?

5. humboldtshooter

It's based off of the mossberg plinkster action, just a different stock. I've heard it is a good rifle for the price, but has some problems ejecting spent casings. It is a very light rifle and feels a little cheap. I've held a few and actually wouldn't mind adding one to the rest of the guns. There's some good reviews on youtube also.

6. pooky7774

pooky7774 New Member

7. Dino1

Dino1 New Member

How bout the S&W -M&P 15-22?
    I've heard good reviews and pricing appears to be within your budget.

I own the Colt/Umarex M4 OPS.
    It's been an awesome gun, but it's a little pricey.

[​IMG]

8. zpatatus

zpatatus New Member

Personally I'd get a 10/22 and put an Archangel stock on it. My next choice would be the above mentioned CMMG if I didn't already have an AR15 in which case I would buy a dedicated AR22 upper.

9. Howdy

Howdy New Member

Howdy,
    I like the 10-22. I have 5 of them here. All have different stocks which give tatcical looks. Ebay is full of tactical stocks for them. My favorite is a youth model which has a shorter barrel. I have one with a red dot sight on it and use the Ruger 25 round magazine. My only problem is that my pond is running short of snakes and turtles this time of year. Have a goodun!!!!!!

10. humboldtshooter

Honestly I agree with the 10/22. There's not too much competition out there. Once I get my AR lower built I will be buyin a .22 and the first on the list is ruger.

11. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher

Smith & Wesson M&P AR15-22. It's my more fun than a barrel of monkeys gun. I love it. It is by far the easiest rifle design to maintain. Separate the upper and lower, pull the bolt, and cleaning is amazingly simple.

If you buy one, you will not be disappointed.

12. dmp

dmp New Member

I have the 15-22 and absolutely love it so far. (have owned it less than a week :) ). The weapon is fantastic for plinking, varmints, etc. I like it better than my AR15 for a couple reasons - namely, cost per shot.

My son's first time shooting the 15-22: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZvOlworhig]Son plinking w/ the new .22 rifle - YouTube[/ame].

13. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Great lil gun unless its a budget thing then look at marlin model 60 or one of the many good bolt guns from marlin or savage the 15 22 is nearly $500

14. dmp

dmp New Member

Nearly $500? yikes! Right at $400 retail around here. Still, good chunk of change.

15. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Thats a better price tthan I can get around here. Figure u order it ship it to the local dealer that took it from 400 to now 470 or so add the dealer fee for the transfer an its rigjt at 500

16. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher

I paid around $500 for mine, but it was right at the time the 2nd gen came out and they were flying off the shelves. I've seen a number of lower price points around $400 since then.

17. JTJ

JTJ Active Member

I have 2 of the 10-22 rifles and they are good guns. My wife won a MP15-22 at the FNRA Dinner and it is a very nice little rifle. (It was my ticket but it is hers.) Much easier to clean than any other semi 22lr I have had. I put a laser on it and a 1.5-6x scope on it and it is very accurate. It has eaten a lot of ammo the Rugers would not. Only fail was with Velocitors which are pretty hot. Rapid fire from the hip with the laser is a lot of fun. The butt stock adjusts to fit almost anyone and you can add lots of different stuff to the fore end. Laser and bipod in her case.

18. pooky7774

pooky7774 New Member

i agree with jtj the mp15-22 is a sweet "plinker" but what i cant get around is why would you spend between 400-500(depending on area lived in) for a polymer gun that you can not change barrel on when you can spend 447 for the cmmg that uses true ar parts were you could put a 223 upper on it and truely have a ar-15 (since the lower is a true ar-15) you'd have the big boy gun only starting backwards with the 22 first but i believe it is better option than s&w mp-22
    just my 2 cents
    SEMPER-FI

19. dmp

dmp New Member

This is why I did not buy the AR Upper:

Wanted an additional rifle. I can shoot the AR while my Son or Daughter or Wife shoots the 22 right beside me. When the zombie squirrels attack, we double our chances of a hit. :) It's like getting the CMMG upper AND a "FREE!" Polymer lower!

20. REDTAIL

REDTAIL New Member

A Remington Nylon 66 is an excellent plinking & small game hunting rifle, If you can find one for sale grab it.?