going back to school

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by potentialglock, Jan 13, 2013.

1. potentialglock

potentialglock New Member

So this will be my first semester back at school since getting my CHL. Should I carry on campus? I know law forbids it but after all the mass shootings in recent years at campuses it seems almost silly not to. And of course I think the point of CC is so nobody knows its there. I've been debating. The worst I've done so far is carry into places where they might throw you out. I'm debating if I should carry on campus or not

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I carried at my local community college when my ex gf went there. She did too. When I went there I left my gun in the truck just outside the shop doors and all the welding instructors knew it. Heck all of them carried in class too. As long as it wasn't seen or pulled wo dang good reason they didn't care and actually liked the students being armed

3. potentialglock

I'm going to ODU. Seems like the most liberal school I've seen. Thank god I live off campus and only go 4 hours a week.

4. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I went to OTC in Springfield Mo. It was kinda liberal.....but I went at evening and we had a psychology ward that had escapees all the time just down the road.

5. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

When you go back are you GOONG to learn how to spell going? :D Sorry I couldn't resist.

6. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member

Do not carry anywhere the local and federal law says you cannot carry.

I know it sucks, but if you get caught, you can kiss your license good-by, plus it makes all others with a carry license look bad.

7. potentialglock

Tracking phone

8. potentialglock

Wtf?? F@$%ing

9. potentialglock

Whereas these gun free zones are proven to work..sheesh....so my options are to defend myself.... die.....or hopefully just carry safely and never get caught

10. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Odu is in ohio right? Id know for sure which state your in but my phone app doesn't show states for people.

11. potentialglock

That's Ohio state. Old dominion university. Norfolk virginia

12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

For obvious reasons, the forum cannot reccomend that you break the law. In this case, it is a matter of school policy, not law, if you have a CHL. Violation of that policy CAN result in your expulsion from the school (their policies are on line for viewing). There IS a provision for requesting an exception- good luck with that.

The Community College system in VA does not have the same restrictions. Any particular reason you wanted to go to ODU? Program there not offered by another school? Scholarship?

13. potentialglock

Good business school

14. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

How would anyone confuse ODU with Ohio State? :eek:

FYI there is a university in Ohio called Ohio Dominican University (ODU)

that's the problem when using just initials and someone else is trying to guess what school you're talking about.

Ohio State University
    Oklahoma State University
    Oregon State University

anyway, to your original question, should you carry at school? that's up to you and only you can make that choice. My opinion is that concealed means concealed, and if nobody knows you're carrying, then nobody will know that you're breaking the law.

but, none the less, you're breaking the law, and that's your personal choice that only you can make.

While I may entertain the idea of carrying into places of business that has a "no guns" sign posted, I do so knowing that all I am guilty of is criminal trespassing, and that if I'm found out, the property owner can press charges against me for trespassing only. When you start talking about places recognized in the state law as being a gun free zone, such as public schools, government buildings, etc. that's a different animal. if you're caught there, you can lose your CCW.