girlfriend looking for a gun need suggestions

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by endobro, Jan 4, 2014.

1. endobro

endobro New Member

My girlfriend is looking for a handgun. Semi auto, 9mm, target shooting and home defense, full size or compact, under $550 new, purple or pink or badass looking. She says she enjoyed shooting my M&P and her uncles ruger.

I don't want to sway her opinion and have her get what I want. I want to be able to give her suggestions based on quality, and performance and let her make the choice. And give her suggestions on some guns that may fit her hands better then others so if any women could add some suggestions it would be appreciated.

2. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I have been married to the same woman since 1995. My advice, take her to a gun store and let her choose. Do not say a damn thing! Do not make any faces or sigh/groan/moan. Trust me. Dude......TRUST ME!!!!! Even if she asks for your opinion...do not give it. "Honey, choose the one you want."

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

my best suggestion is to take her to different gun stores and let her handle many different ones. my best advice is to keep most of your comments private and answer her questions when she asks for advice or suggestions. try and remain neutral. this is based on what is best for her needs and not yours.

other women are just like other men in regards to pistols. everyone has different hands sizes and what feels right to one person, whether it's a man or a woman, might not be right for another person.

sometimes what women choose to own sometimes will suprise us men.

4. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Let her feel them and pick one that feels best in her hand . If she chooses a semi auto make sure she can work the slide easily . If she cant she should be looking at revolvers . Dont moan and groan about the price, looks , caliber, capacity etc, Its not yours its hers and if she decides she wants a 22lr or .380 or .45 acp then let it be . I dont recommemd a .40 or 10mm for a starter but if thats what she likes make sure she shoots it first before you buy one to make sure she can handle the recoil and doesnt limp wrist it and make it jam .
    Good luck brother

5. Fred_G

Fred_G New Member

Good info above. I have one suggestion. See if you can find a handgun instructor in your area, perhaps they could show her how revolvers vs pistols work, and might have a few she could shoot. Just step back, let her decide.

6. endobro

endobro New Member

Thanks guys. Definitely makes sense. I'm looking forward to heading up to look at some guns with her soon.

7. BillM

BillM New Member

Yup. Take her shopping.
    My wife decided this year she wanted to try USPSA Production division, after shooting
    Single Stack for 4 years. Had her tiny hands on just about everything. Ended up with
    a M&P Pro 9L, with a purple flake backstrap from Gun Goddess on it. Now she wants
    to have the slide cerakoted, but only if they can match the shade of purple on the
    backstrap.

8. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

9. AR10

AR10 New Member

Women are not so different from men. What male has one gun?

We say, let the women pick out their own gun. How about, pick out their own guns?

We learned what we like by trial and error. The ones we don't much care for, we sell or put at the back of the safe.

Women tend to be more practical, and spend less money on some toys, but it does not have to be that way.

What guy has never walked out of a gun
    shop with two or three guns, or that many in a month?

Let the gals enjoy the money, and spend some of it.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  10. hardluk1

hardluk1 New Member

Beg , barrow or rent pistols for her to shoot. so she can decide with you know where around well perhaps be around top load mags. many ranges that rent pistols will let a new be shoot whats available in one caliber to try out if too.

11. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool New Member

Buy her some flowers, jewelry, and chocolates. Apologize. :p

12. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Women face a lot of unique challenges with handguns that men have a hard time getting their head around. If you have a handgun she likes to shoot drop her off at a range on ladies night. She will get a lot of input from other women. I shoot IDPA with a lady that loves Glocks but none of them fit her hand. By the time she has the grip cut down to fit her it is very thin. Her guns feel way out of balance to me. What I feel doesn't matter, she scores as well as anyone.

13. Axxe55

exactly what unique challenges do women face that men don't when choosing a firearm? care to elaborate or explain that comment?

women face the same problems as men. finding something that suits their hands. the better a handgun fits a person's hand, usually the more an accurate shooter they are with that handgun. also the better that they can control recoil.

i hope you are are not infering that women are the weaker sex. because i am sure there are plenty that would disagree with you on that.

14. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member

Endobro,

I will also beat the same drum as the others with great advice on this Thread! Take her to some gun shops (Not just one!) where she might be swayed or think she has found the weapon without the benifit of trying several before making a decision! Also find a large gun show in your area if possible that is a great way to see many pistols that might be the correct one for her. This way she can compare, feel and handle many and find exactly what she likes and most important what fits her. Everything from anatomical fit to being able to "pull the slide back effectively" grip angle, size and similar issues. Of course the issue of PINK also puts some restricions on you as well. There is much more to it than just liking the looks of a pistol. Good Luck on your search! I am sure if you spend the valuable time she will find the best for her. As a rule it is hard to find a pistol for a lady that is small enough to carry and also very good for actual target shooting. Most smaller pistols are not designed to take prolonged target rounds being fired through them as a steady diet. They are made for a reasonable amount of rounds and for the purpose of protection should the situation arise.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  15. Axxe55

another suggestion i will give is this. if in a gun store and the salesman is trying to push a certain brand or type of handgun upon her, like they keep going back to a particular gun, and trying to push it harder than the other ones she may be interested in, leave. leave immediately. they do not have her best interests in mind and are trying to push something they have been stuck with.

suggestions are fine. but pushing something isn't. if they use comments like, this one is more suited to a woman, or or i think this one would be better for you than that one. walk or run immediately and find another gun store.

16. hawkguy

hawkguy Active Member

good ideas....i will just add......when you take your GF to the gunstore, have several models previously researched and have an idea of a half dozen pistols you are most interested in.

man or woman, as a newbie especially, i think it is a bad idea to go into a gun store w/o an idea of what you want and rely on the LGS counter worker to make recommendations. that is too much of a crap shoot, with some gun store employees being very good and others....not so much. do your research PRIOR to walking in a gun store imo. just have the employee direct you to what you want, ask no questions or opinions....they'll likely give it to you w/o asking anyway...:p

use the info highway and be informed on every gun you pick up....THEN decide the one that fits your hand and style the best. :) this is your best chance of purchasing a gun you will be pleased with for a long time.

just my 2 cents.

17. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I strongly agree about researching before you go shopping. I have bought a few guns just because I liked the way they felt in my hand that I could have avoided, had I done some research.

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Firearms Talk mobile app

18. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

Problem solved, m&p full size/compact or ruger sr9 full size/compact. Or if you really want to spoil her get her a walther ppq in 9mm. They go for around $530 around here in nw ohio. All of these are great choices with different blackstrap options. Let her hold these three and I guarantee she will like one of these

19. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

I would only suggest providing her with facts about pistol size and what is used primarily for what. Ammo caliber info such as what has or has been known to kick more or less than what. Round capacity of certain caliber or designed pistols. Steal vs polymer. Hammer vs Striker. Safety and or de-cocker. Just give her all the information you can provide her to make the best informed decision possible. Pick her up a couple of magazines and books to do a little research on her own. If feasible let her shoot everything she may or may not be interested in.

20. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Make sure she shoots different trigger types and understands what she likes. Trigger is the most important feature/function of a gun and single deciding factor in how a person will perform with it.
    From there, rinse & repeat what had been stated above

Sent from my SM-N900T using Firearms Talk mobile app