GA to FL carry permit question...?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by MoreAltitude, Nov 13, 2012.

1. MoreAltitude

MoreAltitude New Member

I have a current GA carry permit, and official residency in this state. Additionally, I also spend a lot of time in FL, with the ability to change my residency there, which I have been thinking about doing for awhile, for numerous private reasons. My question is about the firearms training class requirements in FL. I'm assuming that since I would be new to the FL permitting system a firearms class would be in order to gain issuance, since GA does not require this. Conversely, given that FL honors my GA permit for carry, maybe the state regards that as grounds for issuance without the firearms class requirement? Pretty sure I already know the answer to this, but thought I would ask..?

2. chuckusaret

chuckusaret New Member

I would suggest you Google and review Florida Statute 790.06

3. MoreAltitude

MoreAltitude New Member

4. 25-5

25-5 New Member

FL requires as part of any reciprocal agreement, that you are a resident of the state that issued your CCL. If you become a resident of FL only, your CCL situation changes. If you plan to move I would check with FL, otherwise you are fine.

5. MoreAltitude

MoreAltitude New Member

Thanks chuckusaret, yeah after reading the statute in its entirety it looks like I would have take a class to meet the eligibility requirements under the FL system. Not against a class " there's always something to learn I guess", just the cheapest sob you ever met...

6. utf59

utf59 New Member

If you're a veteran, a copy of your DD214 will fulfill the requirement. The last I checked a hunter safety course (which can sometimes be found for free) will also satisfy the requirement.

Neither of those options will include any discussion of Florida law on the subjects of carrying a concealed weapon and use of deadly force. You'll need to study Florida's laws, and I strongly recommend Jon Gutmacher's book on the subject.

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired