Funny looking primers

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by AMBASSADOR, Jun 16, 2010.

1. AMBASSADOR

AMBASSADOR New Member

Bought a used 1982 Browning BDA.380ACP.shot my factory loads and reloads,here is what the primers looked like upon inspection.Any ideas as to what caused them to look as they do?.

Attached Files:

2. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 New Member

Primers??

The first thing I would check would be the head space of your barrel. To me it looks like you have too much "slop" in your chamber??
    You may have a gunsmith check with "Go"/"No-Go" guages??
    The cheap fix would probably be a replacement barrel..Poss. aftermarket would work??:confused:

3. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Looks like a lose chamber to me as well.

Or it is an over pressure but it would show more flow around the firing pin and nothing else.

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member

I would also look at the crimp. Too much crimp can cause excessive headspace. This looks like excessive headspace but not excessive pressure. High pressures will not show the rounded primer edges or the rounded appearance around the firing pin stike. The fact the area around the FP strike is raised and rounded tells me there was too much space between the case head and the breach face, excessive headspace.

5. Fuzzball

Fuzzball New Member

Take a look at the recoil plate in your pistol. The firing pin hole will be the size of the ring around the pin imprint. The primers are being pressed into that oversized hole. That's a manufactoring defect. If the pistol is still under warrantee I would send it back. In fact, I would send it back no matter how old it is or who the original owner was.

6. robocop10mm

That would have to be one really seriously oversize firing pin hole for those markings.

7. robocop10mm

Remove the barrel and drop a factory loaded round into the chamber. The base should sit even with or VERY slightly under the barrel hood (the squared projection at the top). If the factory round goes deeper than that, you have a chamber problem (time for a new barrel). If that checks out OK, drop one of your reloads in. It should stop at the same place. If it goes in deeper, you have an ammunition problem. The firing pin should fit in the FP hole in the breach face with little extra room, very little.

8. Missileman

Missileman New Member

I've seen similar results with too light ( or worn out) of a recoil spring--the slide releases early and pressure comes back through the primer. However, I can't explain the second indent around the firing pin dimple...

9. joshfireart

joshfireart New Member

I think Missileman might be on to the problem worn out or broken spring which is causing the head space issue and the dimple

10. Fuzzball

Fuzzball New Member

"That would have to be one really seriously oversize firing pin hole for those markings. "

Yeah. But, there they are.

11. res45

res45 New Member

Ambassador since you posted your find on the 380 I just remove my identical post and will pass along what the primer strike on the Glock looks like. You run across many different one's when you pick up lots of range brass fired for all types of firearms.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  12. AMBASSADOR

AMBASSADOR New Member

Found the cause

This is what caused the funny looking primers!.I am told that Beretta does this on thier firearms to avoid any problems when stripping a round from the magazine.

Attached Files:

13. robocop10mm

A perfect explanation. Not oversize, but chamfered. Never noticed that before.

14. AMBASSADOR

AMBASSADOR New Member

Found the cause of the funny looking primers!

I am told that this is what Beretta does to thier pistols to avoid any AD,s when stripping a round into the chambers.

Attached Files:

15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Put in a new firing pin spring. Looks to me that the old one is worn out.

Although I am not familiar with a chamfered FP hole on the breach face I'm sure that is what is causing the mushrooming of the primer. A stronger FP spring will reduce the distortion.

16. Fuzzball

Fuzzball New Member

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  17. Fuzzball

Fuzzball New Member

"Put in a new firing pin spring... A stronger FP spring will reduce the distortion".

Wellll, that could be true for a bolt rifle. Don't think it will help a Beretta handgun tho. ??

18. AMBASSADOR

AMBASSADOR New Member

Found the culprit

My camera solved the problem for me!.

Attached Files: