For wife...which carry revolver fits?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by CHLChris, Sep 8, 2010.

1. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Hello, all!

My wife is really comfortable with revolvers over semi-autos. She's fired both and really feels good about carrying a revolver. She has her CHL and we're about to pick up a revolver for her.

Here is the thought process so far:

**.38spl (maybe +p) will be perfect for her and she feels comfy shooting it
    **She has some hand weakness issues so we want steel to help absorb recoil
    **DAO is just fine and no hammer would be great
    **Smaller is better, but steel is important
    **I was thinking (for me...), "Why not go with .357 just so we have one in the house?"
    **Money isn't really an issue that would hold us back from anything in this category

After all of this we have tried the Smith and Wesson 640. My main purpose for having a .357 was to carry it as a trail gun, but my new .45acp 1911 would suit that purpose just fine and I wouldn't trust even .357magnum against a bear, anyway. If I was really in badlands, I'd want to take my shotgun with slugs or buy a 45-70 lever-action rifle.

So, since my wife would never use the .357 capability, this opens up the field a bit.

I love Cane's LCR. I'd buy that before a .38spl Airlight any day. But, steel still might be better.

Thoughts? I can't wait to have a revolver in the house, anyway.

2. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

You looked at the Lady Smith line of pistols?

3. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

The Lady Smith is not really a line of pistols, just pretty grips on standard J-frames. Is there a particular model that I am missing?

The only steel-frame short-barrel revolver in the Smith family is the 640. Is that right?

What about other brands? I have definitely heard that recoil on the LCR is somewhat equivalent to heavier steel short-barrels. That makes it a big contender. It is certainly more carry-able.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

my opinion is to never buy a weapon chambered for 38special. always opt for the 357mag. you can shoot 38sp. out of it and ramp up to 357mag for special occasions. the 357 chambering will give you far more versatility.

5. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Well..What I'm meaning is there are a crap load of small revolvers out there with Lady Smith stamped on the weapon. It's more than a set of grips. I got one for my now X mother in law (Model 60LS)

A friend of mine got one of those Charter Arms 38 snubbys ( I think it was the Under Cover 38) for a woman a while back. It seemed to work well enough but I really don't have enough first hand experience with them. THe only revolvers I buy are Colt, Smith, And Ruger. It's the only ones I've kept for any length of time that to me where worth the money. The SP101 is a nice weapon and wont break the bank.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  6. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Very true for service size guns but the .357 j-frames are larger & heavier than the dedicated .38s.

I know we have a lot of LCR fans here, haven't shot one myself but I know folks are happy with them...

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  7. jetgirl

jetgirl New Member

Just a caution...The Airweights mentioned are not steel.
    They are a Titanium alloy which is the lightest of the light.

8. jbd

jbd New Member

Well I'm one of the LCR fan here my wife has mine now as her carry, so now I'm about to get another LCR. I might get the LCR 357 just because I will be able to shoot magnums if I want too. Anyway she should shoot an LCR if she can and see if she loves it the way my wife and I do.

9. cthompson54

cthompson54 New Member

Small Womans Revolver

Both my daughters ended up with 3" Model Smiths with larger Crimson Trace laser grips. They make smaller boot grips but they preferred the larger size. This with that little extra barrel and weight makes them much easier to shoot. As an added bonus Dad got his old Model 60 and a slightly used Kahr P9 out of all of it! The only thing I would add is to purchase some professional training (Non family Member!) with your weapon of choice. Best investment I ever made! Both benifited greatly, more than Dad could ever do. Ct

10. utf59

utf59 New Member

CHLChris,

I too would go for something in .357. Not just for the versatility of ammunition but because it will have a stouter frame, and that should help absorb recoil.

Have you looked at a Ruger SP 101? It has a pretty hefty frame.

I have shot Smith Airweights and a Ruger LCR, and the recoil was noticeable on both. I wouldn't think anyone who is sensitive to recoil would want to spend a lot of range time with either.

KWGaryM mentioned the .327 magnum, and that might be something to think about. Like the .357, the .327 will take non-magnum loads of the same caliber, so you can find something that "fits." I believe there are also models available that will hold one round more than .357/.38 models of the same size (6 vs. 5 in a snubbie). The biggest drawback that I see is the availability of ammunition (and probably the expense).

11. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

.38 Airweight J frames are they aluminum or titanium

12. jetgirl

jetgirl New Member

Titanium alloy... "mixed".

13. Johnny357

Johnny357 New Member

Since this will be a carry gun, the frame weight savings of a dedicated .38sp versus a .357 mag might be desirable. If she is planning on carrying it in her purse, she might experiment by carrying some extra weight in there for a couple of days to find the max extra weight she is comfortable with. If she spends most of her time indoors she won't want to be loaded with .357 anyway, I've read that can be hard on the eardrums.

14. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

Johnny, my .38spl airweight with the 2.25 inch barrel is hard on the eardrums, outdoors! Pulled the trigger once with no hearing protection on, only made that mistake once. Ears rang for four days.

15. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Thanks for all of the thoughts. Some response:

1) .327 vs. .357 is not the question. The .357 capability would just be for extra credit. Mrs.CHLChris would only be using .38spl. So considering the ammo issues of .327, I'm going to stay with 38spl (maybe .357).

2) Alloy frame isn't acceptable for reasons of recoil. It seems to me that I'd like to stay with steel frame or the LCR. I have read great things about the recoil of the LCR being more manageable than would be normally expected of a revolver of that weight.

3) Doesn't the Ruger SP101 have an exposed hammer? I'd really like to have an internal hammer like the LCR and the S&W640.

I know it sounds like I have my mind made up, but I really do have an open mind for any revolver that fits.

16. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Since you asked, here's my .02

Good reasoning there. The .38/.357 has been popular for so long it is a permanent fixture. Plentiful, quality and versatile ammo choices, very effective and just plain FUN! Personally I'd lean towards .357 especially if it was going to ever be carried in any bear country or to protect the home. The .357 would add the option of sufficient power for more applications, but you wouldn't be cutting your wife short with a .38 at all, especially if it has +p rating.

Chris. . . I've shot both a S&W Model 60 Airweight and the LCR. . . A LOT!

The first time I shot the Model 60 I was about 400+ rounds into a marathon Saturday and loaded it with .38+p. Recoil was NO factor AT ALL! More than my SP101 (much heavier) but Very managable. I jumped up to .357s and shot away. The gun was equipped with rubber Houges and recoil was present, but not unpleasant AT ALL!!!

The LCR also feels and shoots great. Recoil is very similar (if not identical) to the Model 60 using 38 +p ammo. I haven't shot one in .357, so I can't tell you.

Do yourself a favor and DON'T count out a S&W. Looking away from the model 60 Airweight is doing yourself and your wife a serious disfavor. That gun is just a pleasure to shoot. I like them slightly more than I do my SP101. . . and that says alot. I prefer my SP101 over the LCR, but everyone's different.

They come both ways. DAO or SA/DA. Mine has the exposed hammer and I really enjoy having the option of shooting SA. If you choose the SP101 (one of the best guns in my family for many reasons) have the trigger lightened a bit for your wife, she will shoot it better and enjoy it more.

My vote is a tie between the Model 60 and the SP101, both nearly perfect carry revolvers. However, the LCR and 640 are also wonderful options (just not my preference) and you will live a long healthy life with whatever you choose. You are on the right path!

Let us know what you bring home?!

17. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

One thing I've been thinking about is the S&W 442, which is an alloy-frame matte-black finish .38spl+p. If LCR is acceptable, the 442 (which is about 1.5oz heavier) should also be considered.

I asked my wife if her experience with the recoil of the all-steel 640 was barely manageable or just fine. She told me the recoil was just fine. This is the response that makes me feel that steel isn't a NEED for for her.

Alloy is so much more comfortable for carrying--she would feel much more comfortable with a revolver in her pocket while she's gardening, for instance--that we'd be remiss if we didn't consider some of the lighter alloys.

18. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I'll make you a deal on my LCR with laser grips. She deserves it. :)

19. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Active Member

I got my daughter a J series S&W 38sp. She is comfortable shooting it. It has a nub for a hammer, which keeps it from being caught in her purse if she has to pull it. The kick is not overwhelming and she is only 125 lbs.

20. crazycharlie2

crazycharlie2 New Member

Plus no sweat when when shooting +p .38 spls.