for .25 faster ccw draw, I'd give up 10m+

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by uanda, Jun 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uanda

uanda New Member

chest hits, (or hitting the man at all beyond 50 ft). I'd be WAY ahead to make such a trade, since such ranges are so rare (for non-merc civilians). :) My reaction, draw and 1 handed hip point shot (ie, hit the chest from arm's length) is .80 second, and .20 second of that is the reaction time. You can't alter your reaction time. So the actual ccw move is .60 second.

remove .25 second from .60 second, and the remainder is .35 second. It takes THE ATTACKER .20 second (or more) to react, too, AND .20 second (or more) to notice/decide, and .20 second (or more) to flick the gun over to "re-aquire" y you as a target, if you side step as you draw. If you draw FIRST, you have no reaction time, see? :) I need another .20 second to reliably get to eyelevel get both hands on the gun, and hit the chest at 10 ft.

so gaining that 1/4 second would let me beat the drop, as long as I sidestepped as I drew, and didn't miss or foul up the draw on my shirttail, that is. :) That 1/4 second time-savings CAN be arranged, if your hand is on the gun, in a pocket rig, at the start of the "timed event".

2. Rick1967

Rick1967 Active Member

Do you actually have a carry permit?

3. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

50 ft is 16 1/2 yards. I normally think in terms of yards, since gun ranges are laid out in yards, as are golf courses and football fields.

At 16 1/2 yards you are very UN-likely to need to draw on someone. They will probably be a lot closer than that. And beyond 16 1/2 yards you are going to have plenty of time to duck and cover -- side step and move to a protected position. If you're in a gun battle beyond 16 1/2 yards then you wandered into the wrong neighborhood and you ran into a bunch of dope dealing gang bangers who want your dope money or your wallet or your gun.

4. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

A clean, simple, double action pistol in 9mm or 45ACP drawn from a clean functional holster in concealment should be possible within 1 1/4 seconds.

Anything faster would require you to be in open carry mode.

The caliber is not going to matter for the first shot.

The caliber will only matter for your follow up shots. That's where the 40's and the magnums are at a huge disadvantage -- during the follow up shots.

5. therewolf

therewolf New Member

No offense, OP, but crank it down a couple thousand, willya?

You either drink way too much coffee, think too much, or are

waa-aa-ayy too concerned.

Guns are supposed to be a solution to a problem, not the

jumping off point for heart disease...

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

is this going to be a repeat of yesterday?:rolleyes:

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired

uanda, please lay off the caffeine.

8. manta

manta Active Member

Looks like it, and you thought I was persistent. :D

9. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

Uanda is all over the place with these outlandish posts. My timeline on the app is littered with ridiculous thread topics or posts from him and wild_dog.

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

don't forget that's Yes Sir, Mr Wild Dog!:p

old trolls and new trolls. there must be a troll convention going on!:eek:

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

this thread makes no sense

pm incoming

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.