FNH FiveseveN locking up!

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by MegaSlammo, Jan 4, 2012.

1. MegaSlammo

MegaSlammo New Member

I can't put more than two rounds downrange without the slide locking to the rear as if my mag is empty, leading to me having to chamber to the next round and in the process chucking a perfectly good round to the ground. SO irritating and disappointing from a $1100 pistol! Any thoughts?

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired

Where is your thumb when you shoot?
    If you are right dominant, try to cover you right thumb with the left.

3. MegaSlammo

MegaSlammo New Member

I'm shooting fine, it isn't my grip or my stance...there's something mechanically jacking up. I've even tried different magazines, target rounds and hollowpoints.

Sent from my DROID3 using FirearmsTalk

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired

How does it do for someone else?

With it being fairly new, you may want to call Customer Service.

5. MegaSlammo

MegaSlammo New Member

It does the same thing for anyone else who fires it. And I fear if I call them I may have to send it in, when I can just take it to a gunsmith in my area. Could this have anything to with my firing pin?

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired

If it is under warranty, do you want to pay for the repair?

It has to deal with the slide stop. It could be that loose lips of the mag allow the rounds to hit it.
    It could be that the mag release is loose and allows the mag to ride up and activate the stop.

If it were firing pin, the slide would not lock back, but fail to go into battery.

7. MegaSlammo

MegaSlammo New Member

That's a good point...and the possible broken parts aren't within my skill of DYI...plus a gunsmith would probably charge an arm and a leg.

8. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I'm not familiar with this design but I have known other auto pistols locking the slide to the rear on every other shot. This is usually due to the slide lock being machined slightly too long and protruding into the mechanism far enough to be activate by the next port side round in the double stack magazine.

Most slide lock/levers do protrude into the gun near the mag. I would check the interior face of it for brass transfer and if found, have a gun smith "lightly" file it down until it stops contacting the port side rounds in the mag.

Tack

9. MegaSlammo

MegaSlammo New Member

Now that you mention it, I did notice after my last attempt to fire it, during the afterward cleaning there was a noticeable amount of brass deposits, like something's shaving the casings. Would this only require a filing-down then?

10. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I know the Kahr P380 had similar problems on the initial run and my suggestion above was thier factory fix.

Tack

11. MegaSlammo

MegaSlammo New Member

Well I'll probably contact FN then, but what's nagging me is that I have put around 300 rounds through it since I purchased it...50 of them being target rounds...and never had a problem! I mean it's a GREAT pistol, just jerking me around now.

12. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I'm not a gun smith and don't know if your parts are forgings or MIM so I would check with a smith, but yes, if the slide lock is draging enough to produce metal shavings then there would be enough contact to activate it and cause the problem you describe.

Tack

13. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

What is the recommended round count for recoil spring replacement? It could be that initially the spring was stout enough to overpower the dragging but it's now weakened to the point that it no longer can. Regarded a well fit pistol should not generate substantial brass shavings.

14. MegaSlammo

MegaSlammo New Member

Okay...hopefully any repairs I need to get aren't too costly, this pistol wasn't cheap in the first place- let alone the ammunition.

15. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Id call fn and get them to fix it if its still under warranty. If i payed that much for a firearm it better work everytime no questions asked.

16. 1stMarine

1stMarine New Member

How are the ergonomics, and accuracy on your FiveseveN, I'm personally thinking of grabbing one up soon.

Never Forget.

17. MegaSlammo

MegaSlammo New Member

It's phenomenal, but it isn't for everybody. The accuracy is VERY exceptional...and the recoil is surprisingly low, so get used to the grips and 40 rounds later you can maintain accuracy as fast as you can pull the trigger.

18. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

I'm assuming you've taken the pistol down as far you're comfortable with and scrubbed out any deposits. Beyond that, call FN before you take it to a gunsmith. FN might know of the issue and you don't want to pay a dime if its something simple you can do yourself. Don't take a file to anything until you talk to FN though.

19. MegaSlammo

MegaSlammo New Member

You're correct, it'll take a bit more experience to disassemble this thing further than removing the slide...but I do a light oiling before a day of shooting and a thorough cleaning with a bit of CLP after I'm done, as with all my other firearms. I'll be calling FN today, and believe me, I wouldn't dare work with any parts of this handgun until I knew exactly what I was doing.