first time buyer

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by stoneam2006, Nov 29, 2012.

1. stoneam2006

stoneam2006 New Member

I was wondering what's a good 1911 for a reasonable price. Any info would be appreciated.

2. StainlessSteel215

StainlessSteel215 New Member

What's reasonable for you? Everything has a price tag ya know?

Like between $600-800?

3. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Rock Island 1911s are great 1911s and they're very affordable.

4. stoneam2006

stoneam2006 New Member

I was trying to stay as close to 5 as possible but want a reliable and easily carried pistol for my money

5. stoneam2006

stoneam2006 New Member

And I've see the rock island and liked it very much that's actually the one I'm leaning toward right now I think they have a compact version too. Just wondered what else is out there similar.

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired

Welcome to the FTF. We have an area for "Introductions" and would appreciate if you stopped in there when you get a chance.

The RIA could do the job. The earlier RIAs had some quality issue problems, but they seem to be worked out.

What are your standards for reliability? As with any other 1911, you may want to wring it out on the range first before carrying.

7. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Welcome in both regards. I will tell ya this -- u r certainly looking for a 1911-type at the right time. The world's your oyster. Lotta choices, but they have tended towards LOTTA quality. Might wanna lightly-used one...

8. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

If and i say if, you can get another 200.00 your talking worlds of difference for the money. Kimber custom II one of Kimber's finest starts at 700.00 everywhere.

I honestly dont know if you can get a 1911 for 500.00

9. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

Rock Island and Metro arms both make affordable yet reliable 1911 handguns.

10. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw New Member

RIA is a good choice for sure, don't own one but have shot one. I have the MetroArms American Classic Government Model. It has been 100% reliable, shoots straight and has tolerated me running all kinds of ammo and magazines from cheap GI mags to Wilson Combat. The only thing you can do better than that is to pay more for a gun.

You should be able find the Gov't Model for just under $500.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  11. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Also consider Taurus in that range, more for their stainless model than anything else.

12. Grapevinebill

Grapevinebill New Member

I recently saw a new in box Rock Island Compact 4.25" on Gunbroker.com for $420. Look around, you'll find something you like.

13. stoneam2006

stoneam2006 New Member

Thanks for any info if anyone has a must see or shoot pistol out there let me know new to the pistol market

14. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Visit as many local gunstores as you can. They all have some kinda 1911's. Find one made by a well-known manufacturer that feels good and has a price you can handle.
    Beware the store that tries to talk you into one that is more expensive than makes sense to you.

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i would have to say in your price range, either the RIA or the American Classic 1911's are what you need to be looking at. both are very well made and decently accurate. the compact versions will be a little higher than the full size Government models though. i paid $595 for my American Classic Commander in hard chrome several months ago. very pleased with it so far. i had a Government sized AC and it too was a very nice pistol to shoot and reasonably priced as well.

16. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

I have a RIA for sale in the classifieds take a look at it.