First build, need help!

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by rugerry, Sep 4, 2012.

1. rugerry

rugerry New Member

OK, so this is my first ar build. I have been picking up parts a few at a time so I don't break the bank. So far this is what I have, spikes lower with dpms parts kit, dpms buffer tube, magpul Moe trigger guard (od green), and a geissele ssa two stage trigger. Thus for I'll only have around 50 into the build. What can I say I do a lot of trading :) . So now its a bout time to start the upper :-\ . I know some of the parts I want in the upper.
    -Spikes flat top upper
    - spikes 16 in 1/8 twist midlength chrome lined barrel
    - yhm diamond rifle length free float.
    as far as everything else, im up in the air. So if you have any suggestions or parts u no longer need, im interested in buying/ trading.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  2. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

If you know what parts you want, what is the problem?

3. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Sweet, let us know what she looks like once you get everything done

4. rugerry

rugerry New Member

sorry it posted half way through my post.

5. rugerry

rugerry New Member

Got most of my lower parts in the mail today. Need a take down pin spring, my son stole it out of the parts bucket. Anyone have one I'll gladly buy it. Then time for a stock. Was thinking magpul ctr. What do y'all think? After that, time for the upper. :) pics to come. This app is messing up.

Attached Files:

6. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

I'd get another barrel, imho Spikes oversizes the gas port on their barrels.

7. rugerry

rugerry New Member

What would you suggest around the same price range?

8. okdonk

okdonk New Member

9. rugerry

rugerry New Member

I would, but I'm set on building piece by piece. Just on of those things. One thing about buying a complete upper, I'd be buying parts twice. I have to have rifle length quad rail, or else my support hand would be on the barrel. :-\

10. rmwilder

rmwilder New Member

I have a Green Mountain barrel and it shoots great. I also use a midwest industry extended rifle quad. She looks great. :D

11. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I will say this I have a couple stripped uppers I have been waiting to build. However I cannot build the upper for cheaper than I can buy a complete upper from PSA with their cheap pricing right now .

12. GaMatt72

GaMatt72 New Member

I like my Daniel Defense barrel. It should be in the same range as Spikes.

13. rugerry

rugerry New Member

Well, just picked up a bad lever, afg2 grip and a magpul single point sling attachment. Time to buy parts for upper.

14. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Psa has good cl mp hp cmv chf barrels.

Ar15performance.com has nicely priced units as well, melonited too $175 I think?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  15. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Daniel Defense, Bravo Company.

16. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Very true! In fact I couldn't resist and ordered a PSA upper during their labor day sale. :p

17. Rhino24

Rhino24 New Member

Which upper did you get Quentin? I had to get one two for $294 shipped. 16" mid-length cmv. I already have the Hammer Forge "machine gun steel" mid-length upper.

18. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I have a couple of their 16" carbines and one of their 14.7 LW middys " this one is super light" . All run flawless as expected and cycle cheap steel ammo perfectly :D
    Im happy with all my purchases from them and they have free shipping right now over $50 the MOE 16" carbine they have for $319 is a decent deal as you do get the MOE handguard and the magpul rear sight with it in black or FDE.

19. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Q,
    When you get it and run some rounds thru it I would like your honest opinion of what you think of it . I have one gun that is approaching 6000 rds without a hiccup

20. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I got the 16" LW midlength for the same price. Not CHF. BCGs weren't in stock but this is a Christmas present for my son-in-law so I have time. Very curious to compare to BCM and DD. I will slap in a BCG just to test for function but won't put many rounds through it until I get a PSA BCG.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012