First AR-15 Palmetto Spikes Build

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by luan87us, Jun 29, 2011.

1. luan87us

luan87us New Member

Finally ordered all my semi-BIY AR-15. I have only put the orders in today so I will post picture and progress as soon as I receive them. Hopefully not too long from now. Here is my configuration:

- Spike Tactical Stripped lower $79.95 + $22.50(FFL & BG) = $102.50
    - Palmetto State Armory MOE LPK $52.95 + $7 SH = $70 (Ordered with my 92FS holster)
    - PSA 16'' 5.56 NATO M4 Premium Upper w/MOE and MBUS $469.99 + $15 SH = $484.99
    - Palmetto State Armory MOE Stock Kit $79.99 + $7 SH = $86.99
    - 2 x Magpul PMAG new M-Rev 30rd - Flat Dark Earth $28.40
    - Ar-15 Engraved Ejection Port (Zombie Hunter) $14.99

Total Cost: $779.5

Pictures coming soon!

2. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

3. luan87us

luan87us New Member

Why can i edit this post but not my original post? o_O

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  4. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Congrats...sounds like a nice SUR. I also like the way you have accepted your fate by deeming this your "first" build.

5. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Good news! I'm real interested in how the Palmetto State Armory stuff works out...

6. luan87us

luan87us New Member

So far the MOE pistol grip is kinda tight to fit in the lower receiver. I haven't really try to put it all together yet as I'm waiting to go pick up my friend punch set to make it a bit easier.

7. Car54

Car54 New Member

The two that I did were the same way, you have to use a bit of force to push it on. Watch out for the selector spring, make sure it stays straight and doesn't kink.

I used PSA on two lowers and had one disconnector that gave me fits before I had it seated properly to insert the trigger pin. It was extremely tight fitting. Let me know how yours goes.

Have fun and good luck.

8. luan87us

luan87us New Member

Finished installing the lpk into the lower. Had some problem getting some of the roll pin in -_- those things are hard to go in. Scratches the lower receiver a bit by the rabbit ear when I was installing the god damn Trigger guard but it isn't noticeable, just some light chip i'm sure some touch up black paint will make it goes away. However I could not get the threaded screw to go all the way into the MOE trigger guard and I think it's tripped now so I can't take it out either but it seems to hold very tight I have gotten it down far enough I hope. Any suggestion on what to do with it?

It took me a bit over an hour but I had to run up and down grabbing different tools out of my tool box to get the job done and I was also chatting with other people while working on this. I think if I was to do it again it would be a lot smoother if not faster. I think my engineering/machining background kinda help me a bit with this since I'm pretty familiar with putting stuff together.

I also tried to paint the lettering and the logo. It looks pretty nice but I can't get all the white excess to clean off the lower. It still leave some white stain on it which I have tried cleaning up with different kind of paint remover. I used Acrylic paint and some toothpick for this task. I wish I know before hand that the white stains will not come off I would have been more careful and slowly write the letter with the tip of the toothpick instead of wiping it over the writings -_-! lesson learned. (Coloring letters on my friend Saiga 12 tomorrow)

Here is a good trick to install that front detention pin. I pushed one of my pin punch that fit the pivot pin ears from the other side and using my finger to push the detention pin flush then let the punch hold down pin. Then I slowly push the pivot pin in while keeping a lot of pressure on it to make sure the detention pin won't go flying off.

Overall I had fun and frustration assembling the lower receiver. Also learned a good deal of how it actually operates. My function check seems to be as exact as all the guides for it out there. One thing I would change is to cover up the area where I'll be putting in the roll pins so that I won't chip the receiver :p

Here come the pictures:

[​IMG]

9. Car54

Car54 New Member

Hey luan, looks good. I can see the marks near the trigger guard. A little black matte touch up paint and only you will know it's there. I put a little piece of tape around each area that I'm working on to prevent the &%#@&'s.

Try some "goo gone" or "goop off" with a q-tip to get rid of the white stain.

10. luan87us

luan87us New Member

I tried Goo Gone but doesn't seem to do much help. Should I try harder? Lol. I put a bit too much paint in those lettering. It fills all the way lol. But yeah for those scratch I'm pretty sure some touch up will completely cover it. I'm eagerly waiting for the rest of this ar to arrive next friday and go break some stuff with it up at the lake lol.

Do I need to do anything testing once I put the both halves together? Where do I need to lube ar? I really have no clue. I've been looking at guides and tutorial but they all said to just use a bit of clp?

11. Car54

Car54 New Member

Tango has a sticky on it:http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/how-lube-your-ar-15-a-30881/

If the paint didn't come off with gentle rubbing I wouldn't do it again. I might suggest some acetone but I'm not really sure if it will act against the coating too. If you have some available, you could try on an out of sight spot first. Or give Spikes a call to their CS number.

12. luan87us

luan87us New Member

One more question. When I was installing the disconnector spring I put the bigger end on top. Will that cause a problem? Should I take out the assembly and but the bigger end down to the bottom?

13. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Yes, put that spring in right. You don't need disconnector trouble, believe me!

14. Car54

Car54 New Member

Yes, like Quentin said you don't need trouble's. When the large end of the spring goes in, push it until you hear/feel it "click".

15. luan87us

luan87us New Member

Took it out and fixed it. Couldn't believe myself how fast it took me to take it apart and put it back together this time lol. I can know say I am glad I built my own Lower receiver. May be I'll build my own upper soon for my next ar.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  16. luan87us

luan87us New Member

Finally after much anticipation my upper has arrived. PSA 16" Premium Complete Upper with MOE handguard and rear MBUS, 4150 steel, 1:7 chrome lined lead-lapped barrel. This upper also comes with PSA premium BCG. The charging handle works, didn't look too special just a normal charging handle. The upper fit on the Spike's Tactical Lower perfectly as if it was manufactured by a same company. Going to test it in the field tomorrow with some of my friend. Since the MBUS was pre-installed I wonder if it zeroed or not. Enough text here come pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  17. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Really nice job!!! I'm just getting starting with my first AR build right now. My stripped lower and all the lower parts are on the way. I went with a Stag lower and all RRA lower parts. I'm leaning towards getting a complete RRA upper from the factory too.

luan87us, tell me about the rear MBUS you have mounted on your Spikes upper. Is that a Magpul Gen 2 MBUS? Looks good, how does it work? The Magpul Gen 2 is the one I'm thinking of using.

I'll sure be interested to hear your range report! :cool:

18. Car54

Car54 New Member

Great job luan. I really like the MOE look and the color fill. Range date is when?

I'm putting one together to leave at my brother in law's house so I don't have to fly back and forth with a gun case each time. He called yesterday and said the upper was just dropped off. I have the lower put together here in Fla., so when I fly up next month I'll take it with my checked baggage. And yes, photos will follow.

19. Gatoragn

Gatoragn New Member

A secondary benefit of 2 stage triggers, no disconnector! :)

20. luan87us

luan87us New Member

went out to the mountain to shoot the beast today. It zeroed right out of the box lol. I did not have to adjust anything to hit clay targets at 25 yards. I will need to go to a proper range to see how tight my grouping will be with this upper. Btw this is a PSA upper not spike's. PSA did a great job on this upper, I absolutely love it. It is more accurate than my friend Ruger 556. We had to spend almost an hour to zero my friend ruger while my started hitting stuff right out of the box. Put 75 rounds of different brand 223 and 5.56 with 55grs and 62grs through the beast and no failure at all.

The MBUS i have is gen 2 according to PSA. I think they might have zeroed it for me before shipping it out because god that thing is dead on lol. Also the bolt carrier wasn't super dirty after 75 rounds. I am very HAPPY with this purchase. Absolutely love the gun. Waiting to get the Magpul sling for it as I just put the ASAP end plate on. Thinking about the vortex strikefire as well but I might just stick with this iron sight for awhile because it's so accurate already.

This PSA premium upper is REALLY premium without the price tag. I bought it for $469 with the MOE configuration. Dead on accurate out box. And PSA told me the barrel is lead-lapped so that means it doesn't require break in and is more accurate than normal barrel. Snakedriver I would recommend this upper to you instead of RRA. I know RRA is a good company but with the money you're going to spend I bet you can get much better configuration from PSA. They actually just introduced their CHF barrel upper with the TRX handrail for $499.99. Check out their website. They have some good config.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011