favorite carry location

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by swordfish, Jun 13, 2008.

1. swordfish

swordfish New Member

What is everyones favorite place to carry concealed, why do you use that location on your body? Do most people use a holster or not use one?

2. matt g

matt g New Member

Strong side FBI cant when concealed, USGI shoulder holster when out in the woods.

3. jtmat

jtmat New Member

cheap holster I cut the bottom out and cut off the snap down on the top. Best holster I ever owned... and I own a few. Fast to draw and fits my gun perfectly.

Glock 40 goes on my strong side.

My 22 lr 5 shot derringer goes in my right pocket.

4. G21.45

G21.45 New Member

:) Yes, you should use a holster. Right-side @ 4:00 o'clock and IWB is preferred. I'm ambidextrous and, sometimes, carry left-side @ 8:00 o'clock. The only problem with left-side carry is that I'm unable to present the weapon as easily or direct the muzzle as well for my left side while I'm sitting down behind the wheel of a vehicle.

One of my acquaintances is a left-handed FBI agent (now retired) who dealt with this disadvantage by carrying his backup revolver on the inside of his left leg.

I agree with the others: A 15 degree forward cant is better than straight up and down for anyone who spends a lot of time sitting down. My suggestion would, also, be to stay away from crossdraw or SOB holsters because each has significant disadvantages to the user.

Here's one of my everyday IWB carry rigs.

[​IMG]

5. pistolwhip23

pistolwhip23 New Member

i carry a shoulder holster considering i only have a crotch rocket for transportaion. so i always have a jacket on for easy concealment. ive only had my chl for a few months so thats my fav so far i think my other choice would be OWB on my back

6. G21.45

G21.45 New Member

Don't slip and fall backwards - Ouch! :eek:

(And, if I ever need a gun in a hurry, I hope you're the one who's standing in front of me when I decide to make my move, too.) ;)

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Left side, cross draw, IWB, has a cant about 25 degrees, thumb break retainer. Conceals well, retains weapon well, quick access. When in a vehicle, strong side holster does not give me good access. However, that is a small 357- other folks, other guns, other answers, but YES- you should use a holster. Even in a pocket carry, you can get enuff crud (lint, Frito crumbs, etc) to interfere with the function of the weapon. Also keeps you from dropping weapon onto the floor in a bathroom stall, and having it slide 2 or 3 stalls over (Say, wouldja mind sliding that back over here?):cool:

8. lawdog

lawdog New Member

Concealed-Carry location

My off-duty/CCW rides in a strong-side, forward-cant, holster.(S&W 66)
    Reason: the mind reacts to threats by telling the muscles to reach for a weapon in the same place that the duty weapon is located. You don't want the hesitation of having to "think" where your weapon is before you reach for it.
    I also carry a 45LC/.410 deringer in a SOB, horizontal carry holster.
    I have been an officer for 27 years, and these have served me well.

It would be assinine to carry a weapon NOT in a holster, because of debris entering the weapon, snagging on clothing, etc.

9. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I carry my 1911 .45 on my right side cause my right hand is my gun hand. I'm left-handed but I find it easier to shot right handed. I'm that way with pistols as well as shotguns and rifles.

10. ScottG

ScottG New Member

So what's "appendix carry" and what are the advantages or disadvantages of carrying that way?

11. truevil1313

truevil1313 New Member

I carry my .45 in a IWB on my strong side, and my BUG(p-32) in a pocket holster, in my left rear pocket. I can shoot with either hand, so I like to have one that I can reach with either hand.

12. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Colt 1991A1, 230 grain JHP, Galco Summer Comfort, strong side.

13. rrs

rrs New Member

.357 carried on strong side with holster.

14. ranger_sxt

ranger_sxt New Member

GLOCK 19, Appendix...

15. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I carry my 1911 .45 on my strong side, right hip. I'm left handed but I prefer to hold the pistol in my right hand.

16. retleo99

retleo99 New Member

I prefer to always use a holster. I have a soft suede-type leather holster (sorry, can't recall the brand) that fits inside the pants, either on the side or the small of your back. If you position the clip under your belt, it's virtually impossible to see. My 1911 fits nicely and I prefer the small of my back.

The other one is called a Pager Pal. It's a sturdy leather holster with a pager attached (you can use anything else that has a sturdy J-hook, like a cell phone holder). The standard one holds anything!!!, with exception of a small derringer or .25 type, but they have a smaller version for those. It is ordered either left or right handed and is a cross-draw type. I shoot right-handed, and it goes inside the pants to [in my case] left of the center of your belt buckle and to the right of your pants pocket. It holds my 1911, my Glock 30, and even my old S & W Model 19 or 36, from my old LEO days when you could carry anything as long as it was a revolver and carried .38's. The nice thing is you can sit comfortably with weapon secure, even with shorts or cut-offs. I demonstrated to one woman, using her husband's Desert Eagle, how it fit nicely and she could sit comfortably with it. The only drawback was that her cut-offs were so short (nicely very short, I might add) that the barrel protruded outside the shorts, otherwise you'd never know she had it.
    The preferred method of draw is to take your thumb (non shooting) and pull out the front of pants slightly near the dummy pager, pull the pager up slightly then retrieve the weapon with your shooting hand. Another method, which I really like, is referred to as the "Dirty Old Man Draw." This works great with my Colt 1911. Either reach in your pocket or find the end of the barrel from the outside and simply push up while grabbing the grip. This sounds like a lot of motion, but with practice (And you SHOULD practice repeatedly with any piece of equipment you use) it's done in the blink of an eye.

I got one at a Gun Show here in Ohio, but this was a one time thing for the Sales Reps. The company is based in Texas and you probably will find them in that area, as well as the East Coast. I was so impressed with this holster that I emailed the Owner of the company, as they had no Reps in our area.

I ended up driving to Harrisburg, PA, for a "training" session. The area Rep. was training 2 others, so I was instructed to "observe" and basically keep my mouth shut, lest I mess up the other trainee's sales. I did what I was told, and upon calling the owner the following week, received the news that I hadn't shown very good sales potential. Go figure. Anyway, I'd still put up the startup cash and travel to shows in OH, MI, IN, & KY as needed, I believe in this holster that much.

No hard feelings, Ron. I'll give out the website (www.pagerpal.com) not as a sales rep, but so people can check it out for themselves and make their own decision.

Bob

17. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

On duty, or off, I prefer strong side, OTW in a kydex holster. Usually Fobus or Blade Tech, depending on the pistol of the day.

On duty backup, J-frame snubby in support side (left for me) trouser pocket in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster.

Always with a reload.

[​IMG]

18. ranger_sxt

ranger_sxt New Member

Fobus holsters are not Kydex, they are injection molded...

19. dogwalk

dogwalk New Member

The Nemesis is my favorite for my j-frame snubby and I rarely leave home without it. I read with interest about those seeking advice or those giving. At 70 yrs. young, I've carried a lot of sidearms in most any type holster. I just regestered on this site today, so am looking forward to visiting it regular. respectfully, dogwalk

20. freefall

freefall New Member

I carry my NAA .380 Guardian in my right hip pocket in a pocket holster I made with a piece of heavy leather attached to the outside to break up the outline and make it look like a wallet. If I'm feeling insecure I carry my SP101 in a shoulder holster I made, straight rip-off of an "Original Jack-ass Leather" model. No way, No how, N'Obama!