Fairly new owner.

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by VitSports6, May 21, 2011.

1. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

Hi all.
    I am a fairly new owner of my XD40SC, I got it used in a trade a few weeks ago, It needed a little love, So being the curious one, I tore it down, Everything came out, Now I am not a gun smith, I just enjoy learning about new weapons.
    I will sat it breaks down quite easily, Even all the pin's, I wont say its the easiest pistol to break down completely, But its not all that bad, My biggest issue was the grip safety spring, I launched that sucker a few feet away, Luckily I was in a small roof with cement floors, But, I wasn't sure how it came out, Everything eventually went back together, I wish I had taken some pic's, But, I'm sure they could be found on the web.
    Lucky for me there isn't any rust that could be seen, I did clean quite a bit of lint and other "crud" out of it what it was apart.
    I have put about 50 rounds through it and it seems to be quite a nice little shooter.
    I have the shell that was shot through it from the factory, It was first shot Oct. 31st 2007.
    Maybe next time I disassemble it I will get some pic's with a few tip's and tricks.
    Thanks for reading, Sorry for not having any pic's :D

2. CA357

CA357 New Member

Congratulations are in order. Enjoy your pistol.

3. Tonopah

Tonopah New Member

Very nice gun

I have an XD 45, never had any trouble with the gun.

4. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Glad to hear you are happy with your XD. I have the XD45 and it has been a flawless performer so far. I have upwards of 5K rounds through it.

5. fireguy

fireguy New Member

Nitro, how does the grip size compare on the xd45 to the 9mm? I haven't held one and am trying to figure out if I want a modern style .45 or the 1911.
    I have size M hands and was told by a friend that the xd45 is huge. What say you?

6. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

Thanks all.
    I need to get out and practice a bit, I have been doing far too much remodeling...

7. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

I haven't compared the two. I have decent size hands so I didn't notice if the grip was big. Like any gun purchase, I would recommend test drive one at a range that rents them or at least go to your gun shop and see for yourself.

8. skulcak

skulcak New Member

Enjoy and have fun with it

9. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

So I was bored last Friday awaiting a 3 day weekend, So with nothing to do, I decided to tear the XD40 down again, I still have some issue with getting the springs for the Magazine release and grip safety back in the first time, But that is where the paractice comes in I guess.
    I tried to post this very shabby cell phone pic last Friday as well, But the wireless internet wasn't working :rolleyes:
    But go figure, It still WORKS!

Attached Files:

10. bohica83

bohica83 New Member

I myself have what some might call "medium" sized hands. Me I would call them perfectly fit for the things I need to do..sized hands...but I also have an XD 45 ACP and have put a little more than 1500 rounds through it and have no issues. If you feel that you might need a smaller/more comfortable grip I would go with an XDM as they have a more ergonomic grip that also fits quite well.