Do you prefer an ak or an sks?

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by hq357, Sep 16, 2013.

1. hq357

hq357 New Member

Please tell me why :)

2. hq357

hq357 New Member

I kinda prefer the sks over the ak since you can carry more ammo on you with the 10 round clips they are smaller and can alot more in pouches then you can ak mags. The sks is milled which means it has less vibration= more accuracy the bayonets are nice and long and can be folded down to use as a makeshift tripod, they are heavier which makes for a pretty good battle spear if you ever ran out of ammo haha :) and they are cheaper! What do you prefer? :)

3. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

AK. Tradition wood. Looks, functionality in close quarters over the longer SKS. and because Diane Feinkenstein really really hates AK's more. If I want something more for longer range, I'd use something with better ballistics and trajectory than the 7.62x39

4. JosephMD

JosephMD New Member

I own neither, but a Russian buddy of mine owns a few of each (I'm assuming you mean AK-47, but he also has a few AK-74s). He prefers the SKS because they are more of a shooters firearm, oddly enough, of the one's he's collected, the Chinese type 56 is his favorite. That being said, if he had to pick one or the other to take to a fight, he'd go with the AK-47, since it is stupid reliable, preferring the Soviet made one. He's even built his own AK-47 receiver.

J

5. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

They are both products of a failed Communist system. They appeal to the masses just like Soccer? I really don't understand either one. :D

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

Was he, by chance, drunk, and beating a $2 sh!t shovel into a receiver?

7. shadecorp

shadecorp New Member

SKS
    It is a solid bit of work.
    Reminds me, somewhat, of my old M1.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  8. hq357

hq357 New Member

Close quarters battle id like an ak but a good one like a saiga/alrsenal. an all around general purpose thats used for hunting recreation shooting and just fun id like an sks :)

9. Donn

Donn New Member

Neither do I, for two reasons. I have a real problem with weapons the VC and NVA tried to kill me with, and these days, Haji using the same weapons to shoot at my kid.

10. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

If they were never invented, then it would have been some other model. A gun is just a tool. its the people behind them. And thank you for your service.

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

This^^^
    Why demonize the gun?

12. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

I loved my old SKS and still regret selling it. That said, if you were to offer me my old SKS back or any random AK model, I'd probably take the AK.

It really is an update to the SKS. Easily detachable magazine, better aftermarket support, maybe a little less accurate(?). From a civilian standpoint I don't see a lot of difference between the two and you can make an SKS about as functional as an AK these days but the AK is so much easier to make it into what you want.

13. Mongo

Mongo New Member

Do you also have a problem with German Mauser's, Luger's, Japanese Arisaka's etc?

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

I've actually heard that sentiment from a lot of Vietnam Vets. Only from a few current vets.

I think it may have something to do with the different cultures we grew up in.

I know/knew several WWII and Korea vets who really liked and respected the guns used to try to kill them. My grandmother still has a little training rifle my great uncle brought home from Germany. He used it to escape a POW camp.

15. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

Aesthetically I like the AK, but overall I prefer the SKS. I just think it is overall more well built and heavy duty than the AK. What it lacks in looks it makes up for in durability and performance (not that an AK is not super durable itself).

16. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

I couldnt agree more. I think most of us live by the arguement that its not the gun that kills people, its people who kill people.

17. towboater

towboater New Member

My uncle fought the Japanese. He brought back a Jap gun. He still disliked Japanese, but he didnt dislike the rifle.

18. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

And I truly understand Donn's reasoning why he dislikes the ak and sks. Didn't mean to offend or bring up past memories.

19. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The AKs and SKS etc. are military weapons. That is one thing. The thing that scares me is getting on a Russian or Chinese air line. The flight attendants can milk a goat at 30,000 feet and never spill a drop. And they do.:eek:

20. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

I have both AK & SKS, I think I like the AK's a little better because of the looks I get when I pull the AK's out of the cases.