Custom 20 gauge slug gun

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by cva209x50, Mar 3, 2014.

1. cva209x50

cva209x50 New Member

My idea for a custom 20 gauge bolt action slug chucker :

24 inch blued rifled barrel with rifle sights
    Recessed target crown
    Black walnut stock, medium gloss
    Black grip cap and fore-end tip
    Front sight hood off of a Marlin lever rifle
    Limbsaver recoil pad
    Sling swivel studs
    Built on the 700 platform
    Length of pull : 14"

2. JTJ

JTJ Active Member

3. cva209x50

cva209x50 New Member

Kinda yes and kinda no.

Reliability : m700

Either or (scope or iron sights) : Browning a-bolt

Accuracy : m700

Store shelf appeal : Browning a-bolt medallion

Recoil management : h&r71 ultra slug youth (7lbs)

Power : modern sabot slug ammo

;)

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

given the criteria you are asking for, yes it's possible, but owuld be a very limited market due to the high cost of building one that fits that criteria.

those Savages are going to cost over $600, so given that, what price range would you imagine yourswould come in at? IMO, probably well over $1000. pretty much a very limited market in terms of sales.

5. kfox75

kfox75 New Member

Cool idea, but not something I would part with my hard earned cash for. I have a 50 plus year ols Mossberg 185-d that still gets the job done for about a sixth of what the Savage 220 runs.

If you must blow a grand or more on a slug gun, feel free to contact this company: http://www.tarhunt.com/Tarhunt/SlugGuns/RSG/ they also do custom builds.

6. cva209x50

cva209x50 New Member

Boyd's now makes wood stocks for the savage 220 bolt action. :D

In the words of Gary busey : "YAYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!" (Recent TV commercial he was in)

7. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The savage slug guns are pretty reliable. A lot of people hunt with Savage slug guns, I have never seen one break, never heard anyone complaining their gun has broke. I do see the Savage slug gun downing deer. I hunt with a club that drives deer. Most of the slug guns are mossberg/remington pumps or savage slug guns. Lots of places we hunt the landowner won't give us permission to use a rifle. Can't complain about free hunting.

8. cva209x50

cva209x50 New Member

My friend Michael had his bolt action slug gun slam fire on him. I keep thinking my a300 Beretta is going to do that.

9. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The firing pin can get stuck in a bolt action. People let guns sit until all the lubricants are gummy. Then they are surprised when something goes awry.

10. kfox75

kfox75 New Member

Was it a Mossberg 695 by chance?

http://www.mossberg.com/usa-recall-detail

Mossberg recalled the model 695 for "slam firing" in the late 90s. I can see where he would be a little gun shy after that, but it is no reason to distrust all BA shotguns. i use 2 BA shotguns that have been out of production since the 21950s, and the only issue I have ever had is a broken trigger pin. But down, smooth, and blued a steel rod, issue solved.

11. cva209x50

cva209x50 New Member

It mighta been a mossberg. I keep thinking cheap autoloaders would do that.

12. coopertrooper

coopertrooper New Member

I built this one with aluminum and a savage bolt ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1398821168.819630.jpg

- coopertrooper

13. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

CT that is a nice rifle.

14. cva209x50

cva209x50 New Member

What caliber?

15. coopertrooper

coopertrooper New Member

Believe it or not it's my custom 12 gauge

- coopertrooper

16. cva209x50

cva209x50 New Member

17. coopertrooper

coopertrooper New Member

Pretty great, with bird shot it shoots a half-dollar sized hole at 50 feet

- coopertrooper

18. cva209x50

cva209x50 New Member

I thought it was a slug gun

19. Hookeye

Hookeye New Member

I still don't understand why folks would want a bolt action shotgun for deer.

Like a tuned pump rig..........sub 2" groups @ 100 yards, fast second shot capability...............if you flub a shot that might be a nice thing to have. Or if you do drives, or aren't afraid to take movers.

Flubbed a shot once. Tip toes, 20+ft up in a treestand, trying to clear a big nearby branch to pop an 8 pt that had been running does back and forth in the tree farm below........for 45 minutes.

Popped up in a little clearing, and I yanked it.
    Recoil had the gun cycle on it's own pretty much, and the next shot dumped him.

The old 870's fast 2nd shot saved the day.

20. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I prefer a pump myself. Some people do like the bolt action shotguns. A friends wife has a 20 ga Savage. She kills as many deer as anyone else. The bolt action must work for her. She has a hard time with pump shotguns. Her arms are so short. I am sure there are plenty of other reasons to like the bolt action.