Curious bout a marlin

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by PatrickHarrison, Nov 27, 2011.

1. PatrickHarrison

PatrickHarrison New Member

I was in the pawn shop yesterday and seen the price on a rifle it was $260 it was bolt action and rolled my eyes another remington 770 i thought nope it was a Marlin never heard of it i think x7 possibly. These rifles worth a damn, would like a range report if its good id possibly find a 270 caliber one.

2. Triumphman

Triumphman Member

From what I know about the XL(long action)XS(short action) Marlin series of rifles, is that they're very good rifles. Being a caliber of 270, it'll be the XL model of Marlin. Suppose to have very good accuracy along lines of Remington 700 and Savages. Don't own one, but have been looking around for one used in my area. That price is very good, IF it's a true Marlin. To be sure of one part, is to look at barrel(on both sides) to see if it has the "initals" of JM on left side of barrel near the action. If it doesn't, but has the "initals" of REM on right side of barrel, then it's a Marlington. Can't stop there, because now you need to look at serial number to make sure it wasn't under Remington's takeover/build time period between 2007 and 2010 where Remington used Marlin's barrels, before they had the proper barrel stamps. Go to Marlin Owners Group for serial numbers to get lots of info and also check out the proper XL/XS forum page to get more info on these series of rifles.
    Del

3. PatrickHarrison

Alrite hell if remingtons in on it eh im alittle skeptic bout there company. But if its a true marlin ill comply to it

4. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Hey patrick I tried to sent u a reply to the private email u sent u need to delete some of yer messages I cant send u any yer box is full it said

5. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

The x7 marlins are every bit as good as a savage period I have 4 an every one is dead accurate less than a half inch at 100. Anyone that says they arent have never had nor shot one period

6. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Them budget so called marlin x7 series are ever bit as good as a savage I have 4 of them well built, dead accurate, all shoot .5 or under at 100, thats a fact, anyone thats says any less has never shot nor owned one period

7. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member

Patrick,

I am a Remington fan. But Marlin makes a darn good rifle. I think retail on the X-7 new runs around $300. They also have a good trigger in them now!
    I would not be afraid to buy one. And 270 is a great hunting cal. Every Marlin I have had are very accurate including my little Marlin 917-V 17 HMR I now own.
    Marlin has made barrels on the QT for other companies for years!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  8. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

If it is a marlin then it will say marlin on the side of the reciever. Also it will have a red firing indicator that sticks out from under the back off the bolt.

9. PatrickHarrison

Seems like a nice rifle the way yall talk!

Btw Mike its cleared

10. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

I love my Marlin XS7 in 308. Very accurate. The factory trigger and recoil pad are awesome.

11. fmj

fmj New Member

REMINGTON MAKES DAMN FINE SHOOTIN' IRONS!!

Why would be skeptical of a Remington?? Marlins have a good reputation as well!

12. PatrickHarrison

After my old mans 770 is no good then a email i read plus the ammo is crap and a bad knife haha no thank ill take Winchester or Savage

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

patrick, just make sure it's the X7 series of rifle and not the MR7 they made several years ago as they are not the same rifles. from what i have read, is the MR7 was a decent rifle but sales wise was a failure, nothing wrong with it, just didn't sell very well. then several years later, Marlin gets back to building a bolt action centerfire again, the X7 series of rifles. now that being said, i own and shoot three of the X7's, and they are very well built rifles and accurate too. price wise, the X7's are a budget or entry level rifle, but shoot and look like a more expensive one. they are priced at or below the Remington M770 but act more like a M700! i too in the future plan on adding a XL7 in 270 to my collection. hope this helps.

14. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

The 770 is the ONLY pos remington centerfire out that i know of

15. Axxe55

i don't have a clue as to where they came up with the M770! and the M710! what was Remington thing of? :eek:

16. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Try a cheap version of a tikka t3....very cheaplly made

17. Axxe55

i don't know how good the tikka t3 is, but i don't like the looks of it. like some of the browning rifles, very well made and accurate rifles, but i just don't like the look of them for some reason. my dad had a few when i was a lot younger, and one of them i have always liked, the SA-22 rifle.

18. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Hey axxe I do have a tikka t3 its a great gun, light weight ,accurate, the fit is very good. I cant say anything bad about it, but my marlin x7 rifles are just as good half the price. But I would never turn down a tikka very good quality rifles

19. Axxe55

my reasons are based on the look of the rifle, just like the Blaser rifles, those are very well made rifles and very accurate for a take-down rifle but i just never liked the way they looked. the craftsmanship was very good too. i'm sure the tikka t3 is a well made gun, coming from sako, it's just a personal preference and not based on the rifle fuction or performance. i do like the looks of my marlin X7's though! mulie i got an idea for a custom X7!

20. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

How about a.zebra wood stocked x7 or a fine walnut like the mark 5 weatherbys