Concealed Carry Random Tips

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Jesse17, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

OK, what I want to see here is your random CC tips. The things that you didn't think of before you started carrying, but found out afterwards...

For instance...

1. If you're worried about how to conceal a LCP, spend a few weeks pondering how you could get away with carrying a Government size 1911. As you're doing things through out the day thing about how your 1911 would feel and how it would print. After that the idea of someone seeing your LCP won't hardly cross your mind.

2. Tight jeans don't cut it. Even my LCP prints in the pocket of tight jeans, even with a pocket holster. Having a set of keys in the pocket with it helps, but looser pockets are the key!

and go!

2. stevetinman

stevetinman New Member

I have 3 carry guns. I also have IWB holster for each one. They are very comfortable and with a light sweater on it is hard to see a print. I usually carry a Kimber Ultra II .45. I also carry at times a Beretta 84F .380. It also is very easy to conceal. The big gun is a Sig P220 Super match which is little bit larger but still hides well. I have 2 holsters from Nick Matthews and 1 from Ritchie Leather. Both make fine custom holsters. The key is to get a good IWB holster and wear it all of the time. Soon you forget it's there.

3. Alchemist

Alchemist New Member

While driving/sitting (especially in a vehicle), an IWB holster MAY sometimes ride up higher than it should be... So... Before stepping out of your car (or after sitting anywhere for a long time)... Check it and push it way down against the belt where it should be. Otherwise, the whole holster AND gun could come bounding out easier than you think. This is a much more important consideration for big-bellied people as the belly tends to bend the holster/gun outwards and over the top of the belt if it's resting too high.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  4. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Sorry, I will NOT give up my Sergio Valenti jeans.

#1 is a good tip.

5. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

Just Googled them. Please tell me you're joking!

[​IMG]

6. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

If you haven't tried Appendix carry I highly recommend giving it a try.
    Most people don't make it a habit of staring at peoples junk so it makes an ideal hiding place, the butt doesn't print like a behind the hip or small of back carry can, and it is very fast and easy to access.
    A small frame revolver like my LCR disappears under a t-shirt and is comfortable all day sitting, walking or standing. It took me a few times to get used to carrying it "there" but is now my favorite way to cc.

7. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

Can you bend over with one there? What about a larger gun?

8. BrianS

BrianS New Member

I don't know about having a pistol aimed at my junk all day. :)

9. ajbeau

ajbeau New Member

cc tip

An inexpensive belt slide holster(without the belt) and my keltek p11. Fits in back pocket of my jeans, even with top of pocket, an un- tucked tee shirt, conceals gun from view. Very comfortable, slide shape evens out the gun to look square. It keeps the gun oriented in pocket as well.

10. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

No problem with movement. Works great with a snub revolver and should be fine with a compact auto. A larger barrel revo or a full size auto isn't going to work well with bending sitting, etc. But I'm not going to be able to really conceal a full size auto really wearing shorts and a t-shirt. The 2" revolver conceals all year and is way better in the warmer months than carrying nothing at all;)

11. Bushman

Bushman New Member

Random Tip #3:
    Don't ride the "Orbitron" at the county fair without a retention type holster.
    Just sayin'.

12. orangello

orangello New Member

I don't carry, but a stripper friend advised strongly against carrying at a gentleman's club. :p

13. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

My random tip is hit the gym, lose that belly, build up some He-Man shoulders like mine :cool::D. My XL shirts fit my upper body perfectly and is lose around my hips so I have zero concerns of printing anything, even my full size M&P. No beer belly also allows me to instead of loosening up the belt one notch to allow for a IWB holster, keep it in the same notch to keep my gun super tight to my body - zero shifting. :D

Wear shirts made of heavy cotton/material.

Two shirts nearly eliminates any possible printing. White T with a button up works wonders.

Loose/large pants pockets if your carrying a pocket pistol. I check pants specifically for this before buying.

Try to avoid the normal "tells" of carrying concealed. Don't "guard" the side of your body your firearm is on, walk normal, get a good holster so you don't have to "check" it every ten minutes.

One of my random activities when shopping with the wifey is trying to spot people who might be carrying. If you know what to look for, you'll be surprised how many people carry. "If a guy is wearing a fanny pack and still keeps his wallet in his back pocket, there is a gun in his fanny pack".

Every guy behind the counter in a gun shop is carrying. Ask them for tips and tricks.

14. WDB

WDB New Member

The belt needs as much of a consideration as the holster. If you think your IWB, paddle or belt holster scucks, it might be the belt used to hold the holster. A good belt will help even a bad holster work better.

15. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

On your first day of carrying, if you go to work and find one of those 'party poppers' that shoot out confetti, don't pull the string on on it.

I swear I thought those just had a spring in them, but the thing sounded like a .22lr going off, and left a gunpowder smell in the air. One woman screamed, and I just knew everyone thought I had a gun on me...which I did. :eek:

16. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher

S&W Bodyguard 380 and Ruger SP101, both in pocket holsters.

I wear cargo pants. I could probably get by with a 1911 in my pocket if I had a belt that would hold my pants up. Don't wanna look like Matt Foley.

17. Bootsdeal

Bootsdeal New Member

I wear plain Wrangler jeans like you buy at Walmart or Academy. They're regular fit, so I can carry my Taurus 738 in my hip pocket (no holster). I place a thin piece of leather, cut to fit inside the hip pocket, between the pistol and outside of pocket to prevent printing. I can even carry this way with shirt tucked in. It simply looks like a wallet. I carry with one in the chute, can sit all day, drive car, etc. with no problems. The gun simply does not move.

18. RJMercer

RJMercer New Member

Don't boot (ankle strap) carry if you have scrawny chicken legs. You'll have a hitch in your gait and you can only blame it on a pulled hamstring for so long.
    Plus side: it wont leave a visible print

19. freefall

freefall New Member

I noticed myself leaving the Fred Meyer store with 5 bags of groceries in my left hand and nothing in my right to leave it free.:eek: Started looking for other guys doing that.

20. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

I'm the first to work in the mornings before light, and I too noticed myself trying to carry my coffee and paperwork in my left arm so I can walk through the parking lot with my right hand "casually" in my pocket. :rolleyes::eek: