Company waits until April 3 to resume orders? (passover)

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by StainlessSteel215, Mar 26, 2013.

1. StainlessSteel215

StainlessSteel215 New Member

Purchased an XD 9mm from BOTACH Tactical last Friday night....paid in full and gave my FFL details, etc. Yesterday I finally get an email that I must now wait until Wed April 3rd for Passover to end until orders will resume. Is this standard practice for some companies, that observe the Jewish holidays?? Although I'm patient enough to wait until then, I feel it a bit unfair to subject your customers to a holiday that many probably dont observe.

thoughts?

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

You should have been informed before placing the order. Sounds like an excuse to me.

3. StainlessSteel215

Agreed, and no I wasnt informed ahead of time.

Again I will be patient because I have no choice, but I certainly prefer NOT to wait a week until operations resume. I just feel its a bit unfair to your customers

4. MattShlock

MattShlock New Member

Holy cow! I have never heard of such a thing. Well, I guess it is just the decent thing to do to respect their observance and be patient. You might point out they should make people aware in advance but I understand them not making it perfectly clear. Still, it isn't justified in business where they are a minority affected by their religion.

I bought something from B&H Photo in New York recently. Their website said they were closed Saturdays but open Sundays so I figured that one out but I didn't care -- it was a great internet order and the timing was no issue to me.

Funny thing... I worked for a Jew who owned a few mostly toy stores. Pretty big company actually. He was open for Jewish holidays (I just heard yesterday it was Passover but have no idea how long it apparently lasts) and closed the stores for the big national holidays including Christmas. I was an Assistant Manager and volunteered to skeleton-crew my store, the Headquarters branch, Christmas Day. Just for a few hours.

I saw families needing last minute toys and batteries not included. A mitzvah. LOL He wouldn't consider it.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  5. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Any company with unique or curious rules on shipping should list these rules. Anyone contemplating the placement of an order should be made aware of these rules.:(

6. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Yes, you should have been made aware there would be a delay for 'the holidays' but I never did understand why 'we' only observed Christian Holidays and not Jewish one. :confused: OF course, then there's always going to be the retort, "What about all the other religions and their holidays?" :cool:

7. StainlessSteel215

No, I get it and can understand Winds.....although Im not well versed in the Jewish holidays and not sure why they cannot conduct business. I thought it was just a matter of giving up bacon and meat ;)

Its all good, just wondering if this was highly unusual or just something that must be respected and left alone. Again, a little courtesy heads-up to your customers would have been appreciated since I have nothing to do with Passover

8. steve666

steve666 New Member

I don't have a problem with their chosing to observe Passover, however I agree that you should have been made aware of this in advance. We have a meat market here in Indy that closes for vacation following the 4th of July for the rest of the month, that is boldly announced on their website and at their physical location. There are a number of companies that close for the Christmas and New Years holidays, but usually they make you aware of this.

9. StainlessSteel215

Well, its now been over 2 weeks since I purchased this gun and not only did I have to wait a week for Passover which was UNKNOWN TO ME AT PURCHASE....I cant even get a email or phone response as to when my freakin order will ship.

I was patient at first.....now.....not so much.

10. 303tom

303tom New Member

Sounds like THEIR policy, I say live with it or shop some where else, this is America................

11. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

According to Jewish law, you can't work during the observance of Jewish holidays and the sabbath. That goes to include non Jewish employees working for Jewish companies. You are not allowed to even make money during the observance of Jewish holidays and the sabbath. There are some Jewish people that aren't orthodox, hence they don't observe many laws and will open on the sabbath and the holy days of certain holidays. Believe it or not, some Jewish company owners will go as far as to make written agreements with certain management employees to divert profits on sabbath and holy days in order for them to remain open during those days.

12. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I think the point is, Tom, that the buyer could not make an informed decision and was arguably misled through obfuscation. Yes, this is America. Still. I guess.

Coupled with the lack of response to an unexpected delayed order I can now only say screw Botach for these poor, compounded, business practices. Botach is deceptive and their advertising here on FireArms Talk should be rejected going forward!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  13. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Lifetime Supporting Member

It may be their policy, but it's sh!tty customer service to not disclose it until after the purchase is made.

I'd be tempted to cancel the order and buy from someplace local.

14. StainlessSteel215

^ Thats how I'm starting to feel. Going on 3 weeks now, and after 2 emails and a freaking voicemail I get NOTHING in response yet. They do have my money which pisses me off.

15. StainlessSteel215

Day 18:

I've now left a voicemail and 3 emails.....Not a single email or phonecall returned to me. Called 3 times today and a not a single person answered the phone. Tired of their ****. Sent a cancellation email....lets see how fast that gets a response

16. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

And don't forget to notify Firearms Talk and have them do something as well with this "advertiser."

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  17. StainlessSteel215

Yupp, they should know about this. I paid for the gun immediately (without ANY notice of this Jewish holiday work stoppage) and got a mass email about their closing after the fact....a few days later.....and nothing in direct response to me since.

Some of the worst customer service Ive experienced. In fact, its non existent!

Never again

18. orangello

orangello New Member

Have you sent them a link to this thread? Have you considered using their name in your signature on more than this one forum? Have you called your credit card to request a stop payment or something of that sort from the credit card company?

Have you contacted your Better Business Bureau yet?

19. johnr43

johnr43 New Member

"THOUGHTS?" I think you should be more considerate of the Jewish faith. Civilization owes much to what God has done through His "chosen people". Indeed, they are to be a "light unto the gentiles". Not preaching, just sayin'... and no, I'm not Jewish. :)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  20. orangello

orangello New Member

I wonder how we would feel if a similar situation happened to one of our online orders due to a Halal holiday for an Islamic-owned vendor with poor communication skills? I would be pretty darn pissed off myself.