Compact 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Engine5truck, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Engine5truck

Engine5truck New Member

Hey guys, I'm looking into getting a compact 3"- 3.5" 1911 for ccw. I have around $1000+ price range. I am looking at a colt defender. Any other options?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

2. JW357

JW357 New Member

Which caliber do you want? Traditional .45 ACP?

3. Engine5truck

Engine5truck New Member

.45 ACP of course lol

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

4. Engine5truck

Engine5truck New Member

The defender I found is 1080 out the door. Good price?

Kimber Custom Covert 2, S&W model 29 .44 mag

5. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

Not bad, that's about going rate. I paid the same, or very close to it. It's a great option, I love mine. There's also the Colt New Agent, which tends to sell for a little less.

I don't have any first hand experience with the officer sized Springfields, but many people swear by them.

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have the SA Loaded Micro Compact 45. great pistol, well made and very accurate. i bought mine a few years ago andi think they have since dropped it from the SA line-up. i am not seeing it listed anymore.

when i bought mine, i was trying to decide between it, a Colt Defender and a SA EMP in 9mm. it was a hard choice but the SA won out. the Defender was a very nice pistol as well. i seriously doubt i would have been disappointed had i chosen the Defender instead though.

7. Mouser

Mouser Member

Some are outspoken about Kimber but I have nothing but good results with my Kimber Crimson Carry

Attached Files:

8. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

I passed up a great deal on the .45 Micro about a year ago, been kicking myself since.

Having taken a recent interest in .40, now the EMP is calling me.

9. Axxe55

EMP and the Micro Compact 45 are very similiar pistols.

my Micro Compact was $1299 with taxes included. at first i was a bit hesitant about the pistol because of the price, but after a couple thousand rounds of factory ammo and my own reloads and how sweet it shoots, the hesitation has long didappeared! i only made a couple of minor changes to the pistol. i replaced the ambi-safety with a single sided, and replaced the slide release lever with an extended version, because of the stiff recoil spring for a faster reload. the recoil is a bit different than my full size 1911 using the same loads, but isn't punishing, just feels different. i have even let my 10 and 12 year old nieces shoot it a few times and they have no problems with the recoil.

10. bigjim

bigjim New Member

While I am taking a chance of getting tromped on by everyone here, don't get me wrong, all the pistols mentioned are excellent and good choices, BUT.

To make a short story long, my favorite was a 4 inch Kimber Eclipse II, but an all stainless steel gun does get heavy after a while and after 2 hours carrying even in a shoulder holster my back and shoulder would start complaining loudly. The solution would be a 3 inch barrel one, but I am a awful shot with a barrel that short. So the Kimber Crimson Carry Pro that I couldn't stop drooling over was not a viable option.

So the alternative option was to get something that conceals well is a 45 ACP and feels like a 1911 in the hand, that turned out to be the Bersa Thunder 45 Ultra Compact Pro. Not as nice a trigger as the 1911, not as costly as my Kimber (1/2) the price, but a pistol that works VERY well and fills the need. (3.6 inch barrel, 8 +1 45 ACP double stack and very accurate) Best concealed weapon (comfortable) that I have ever carried with the exception of a 380 (too small a caliber).

So don't hit the dislike button just yet. Take one out for a try, otherwise you could get one of the more prestigious ones.

Jim

Kimber officer size
    [​IMG]

Bersa 45 shown next to a CZ 75 P-01 compact (9mm) for size comparison
    [​IMG]

Better picture of the Bersa
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  11. Engine5truck

Engine5truck New Member

I have no issues with Kimber. I have one and absolutely love it. Haven't had a single issue at all other then from ammo. I'm debating on the reliability of a 3" or should try for a 4" with the compact grip.

My buddy has a bersa and I liked it but I am more along the line of a 1911 for ccw. I just have it out for that 1911 style lol

12. Gabill

Gabill New Member

I have both the Defender and New Agent. I like the New Agent better. quick to get on site. have shot the Kimber and the XDS and like the New Agent better. if you can shoot them before you buy them i would advise it.

13. Engine5truck

Engine5truck New Member

What's the difference between the new agent and the defender?

14. Engine5truck

Engine5truck New Member

Just checked it out. I'm not sure how I would feel about the trench style sights. I do like the safety. We have a gun show coming up so I'll be looking for all of theSe

15. Gabill

Gabill New Member

Defender has regular sites, New Agent usually has trench sites. Mine has trench sites.

16. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

My Kimber Compact (Commander slide, Officer frame) has been flawless, and cost less than both my 3" Colts.

17. Gabill

Gabill New Member

I know of several that love their Kimbers, I love the way my Colts feel in my hand and shoot. I have never owned a Kimber, but have shot several.

18. Axxe55

i like the looks of the Kimbers, but at the price of a Kimber, until they decide to offer more than a one year warranty, i would never buy one new.

19. KG7IL

KG7IL New Member

3" Covert Ultra ?

Attached Files:

20. Engine5truck

Engine5truck New Member

Nice I have the custom covert the ultra would be nice but $1500 for a sub compact at the same price for my full size I'll pass lol