century ak's

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by juststartin5272, Oct 3, 2012.

1. juststartin5272

juststartin5272 New Member

Are they descent? Any major issues with them?

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc New Member

Century has a few varieties out there now. Which were you interested in?

The early WASR rifles often had canted sights, canted gas blocks, and mag wells that were loose and allowed the mags to wobble more than "normal". Some of the later assembled ones seem to have been assembled a bit better.

Not too familiar with their more recent offerings.

3. Nihilist88

Nihilist88 New Member

As far as my understanding is the 10/63 is one of the better AK rifles you can buy on today's market. I have not had much experience with them. Only heard praising from a lot of people. I am more of the Yugo AK guy.

4. orangello

orangello New Member

One of my shooting buddies has a WASR10 he purchased new a couple of years ago; it is fine. The sights and mag wobble bug didn't bite it.

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc New Member

Just got back from test firing the WASR 10/63 that I just got in a trade and cleaned up. It has straight sights and ran a good mix of FMJ, HP, and SP ammo. Sights were regulated well for windage but a touch low.

6. juststartin5272

I was looking at some of there's 74's want something that my wife would be able to shoot comfortably. She has a bad shoulder that unfortunately is the same one she would shoulder the rifle with.

7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc New Member

the 5.45 would be a bit gentler, but the 7.62x39 is not a punishing round, and with a good comp/muzzle brake they are pretty gentle. Definitely less kick than my .30-30.

8. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 New Member

Its hit or miss really, some are great, some are total crap, I've had experience with both...

Always inspect the rifle prior to buying, as this pretty much rules out getting a lemon. I wouldnt pass one up at a good price. FYI, $500+ ain't a good price.

9. juststartin5272

Thanks for the tips as I know nothing of aks except that I'd rather have one than an ar. I don't know what it is but I think I like to root for the underdog and it seems like everyone has an ar

10. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Just get them both. :)

11. juststartin5272

Its hard with young children the wife tends to ft upset when I tell her we don't need food just a new gun lol

12. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc New Member

Do you have friends with AK or AR types that you could shoot. I will say that my wife has shot both but she definitely preferred the AR for the location of controls and recoil as well as aesthetic preference. She also liked the fact that we could really tailor the parts to her exact liking.

For ease of use, and modularity I have to agree with my wife. The AR is tough to beat.

13. nfafan

nfafan New Member

Consider an HK93/HK93 clone. I had a Century (contract-built) C93 and it has to be the sweetest shooting 5.56 rifle on the planet.

You could probably hand it to a 6yr old to shoot, or brace it against your chin and shoot it as it is that nice of a shooter.

I've been half-tempted to scrap the notion of all the AKs and switch over to the roller-locked 93 as the peer platform to my ARs. At least I'd have ammo compatibility.

14. juststartin5272

What would be a reasonable price on a clone like that. I found a c93a3 on centerfiresystems.com for $499.

15. nfafan

nfafan New Member

That's not a bad price, when they were first sold they were over $600, think I paid $500.00 and change for mine at Dunhams.
    A year ago they were being delivered with 2 40rd mags and a beater bayo - except from J&G which always holds back a mag. How nice.

Centerfire has them on back-order now. They take an NFA HK sear-pack so they have become massively popular with the HK crowd saving the wear on their real HKs.
    And just so you know, C93's start as REAL HK-33 parts kits that Century jobs out to possibly two different builders.

Good parts - bad builders.

Before buying, there are some caveats to learn - too much to post here. Go visit the clone subforum of HKPro and start reading C93 posts - several of which are mine;

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-clone-talk/

See also here for C93 posts...

http://www.militaryfirearm.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?23-Cetme-HK

http://www.militaryfirearm.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?65-Cetme-HK-Building-Resources

If after reading you decide to get one of these - see if there is Dunhams nearby - they sold them and that way you can hand-pick one.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  16. Riverg420

Riverg420 New Member

I bought a CENRURY AKMS UNDERFOLDER 7.62+ 39 a few days ago fired around a hundred rounds out of it so far the sights were dead on right out of the box shot 3 inch groups .I'am very happy with my purchase i think its a fine weopen:D

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  17. g24t

g24t New Member

Just Bought a Polish, already had two romanian, trigger pull was great on all three and accuracy was good as well right out of the box. All three had folding stocks, very pleased.
    G24t