Can someone identify this round for me

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by lifeguardkliff, Oct 13, 2013.

1. lifeguardkliff

lifeguardkliff New Member

Found this bullet at my local range an wanted to see if someone could identify it for me

Attached Files:

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Cast lead rifle bullet- from a handloader. Can't give you specifications on weight or caliber until I get my eyeballs re-calibrated.

3. lifeguardkliff

It's 100% copper no lead

4. CamoToe1

CamoToe1 New Member

Barnes TSX. .30 cal?

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Dude! Yer FINGERS are purple in that picture! No idea you had a copper bullet!

And yeah- Barnes would be a very good suspect. This is a recovered Barnes Triple Shock- barnes triple shock.jpg

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

Depending on diamater solids like that are typically used for very dangerous game. That one looks like it expanded correctly. They are designed to have petals that fold out but not completely mushroom so it cuts a huge bloody channel through the beast. hope is in it dying before it gets close enough to sht stomp whomever shot it. If they expand too much it won't get far enough into the critter.

Ages ago it used to be hardened lead then in the 80s it was tungsten core in a casing of lead with copper jacket. Now the preferred dangerous game bullet is copper solids.

Copper solids have no jacket to shed and will only expand if its designed into the bullet.

7. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

Looks like a Barnes TSX. It's an all copper hollow point. Good for hunting, not so good for home defense if barrier penetration is a factor. The copper petals tend to sheer off when passing through glass or metal giving it the wound profile of an FMJ.

8. lifeguardkliff

Yeah I was sitting by a reef tank so the color was a little weird but you def called it on the round thanks for the help