can i make my own suppressor

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by jscooper1975, Jun 26, 2012.

1. jscooper1975

jscooper1975 New Member

If i make my own suppressor how do i go about making it legal to have

2. linuxuser3890

linuxuser3890 New Member

First don't even start to make the parts until you file the correct form with the ATF. After that point you should know more from them.

First you may want to research putting it as a trust. And you also need to research local laws to even know that you can have it where you live.

Also once you complete the build and serialize it you cannot alter it unless you are a manufacturer of silencers so better have a good design that you like.

3. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member

LinuxUser gives some good advice about the trust, because you are entering into a sensitive area. Contact a firearms attorney and DO NOT do the paperwork yourself. It is full of pitfalls because you are applying for permission to become a suppressor manufacturer, and it's a bit different than transferring an existing one. Also realize that after you manufacture it, you may still have to transfer it to yourself for personal use depending on your state laws.

A competent attorney is worth his weight in gold and will only cost a few hundred dollars for the initial consultation. Take it seriously and it will go smoothly!

4. Run2trouble

Run2trouble New Member

Get in touch with Matthew @ http://www.arsenalattorneys.com/

It will be the best $395 that you will spend on your gun stuff.

You will need to submit a for 4 to the ATF with a $200 check for your tax stamp and I believe a set of plans for your can.

As it has already been mentioned, head over to silencer talk.com for a wealth of info.

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

without the proper paperwork filed with the BATF and approval, i wouldn't even consider it. manufacturing is different than ownership. best suggestion, consult and attorney well versed in firearms laws to keep from running afoul of the BATF. those people have no sense of humor, or cut any slack for good intentions.

6. jscooper1975

jscooper1975 New Member

Ok thanks guys i haven made one i just worded that wrong

7. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

If you're just looking for the appearance they make fake suppressors for airguns. You may be able to find one that fits. Might be asking for trouble though.

8. jscooper1975

jscooper1975 New Member

I guess ill just go to my class 3 dealer and get one that way seems to be the easy way thanks for all the info

9. floppablebootydisk

floppablebootydisk New Member

sure doesn't sound like a right.

10. Run2trouble

Run2trouble New Member

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

getting a good one from a real manufacturer is the best way. there is more to it than the youtube videos showing various suppressors made from stuff at kmart.

there are very large pressures high high heat and gas erosion problems to deal with that make homemade supressors pretty worthless for much more than a few shots.

buying a good high quality suppressor that will serve you for years of use is very important. while you CAN diy one your just pouring money away. one thing you should look at is the warranty. make sure whatever brand you get warranties against baffle strikes they DO happen even with the very best. its how your treated afterward that matters.