bullet weight vs recoil in magnum revolvers

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by spittinfire, Nov 9, 2010.

1. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member

I've been making the step from 357 to 44mag and yesterday I discovered something. I picked up some 185gr ammo thinking recoil would be lighter then the 240s I had been shooting but I found the opposite to be true. When shooting a cylinder of 240s and then switching to 185s I found the recoil to be sharper, muzzle flash was larger and muzzle rise increased. The 240s has slightly more recoil but it was easier for me to control. If I could find a handful of 270s I'd give them a try.

I decided to try it with my 357. Loaded a cylinder of 125s and then one of 158s....same thing.

Anyone else experience this or am I alone in liking heavier bullets in handguns?

2. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

The lighter the bullet, the faster the acceleration, which creates a sharper felt recoil. The heavier bullet accelerates slower creating more of a thump in your hand verses a sharp crack.

Or , put it this way;
    Short barrel time=shorter duration and sharper felt recoil.
    Longer barrel time=longer duration and more of a thud than a crack in felt recoil.

Jim............

3. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Spitty,
    Did the lighter bullets print higher on the target, or is this a perceived increase in muzzle rise?

4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Interesting Jim. My high school physics teacher would insist that the heavier bullet would cause more recoil. Is this a matter of perception in that the recoil impulse of the lighter round is "sharper" but actually less if it were measured?

(Also possible that Spitty is a sissy-boy :D)

5. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Handgun Recoil Table
    Load used.........................weight....Recoil E. (ft. lbs.)..... Recoil V. (fps)
    .44 Rem. Mag. (200 at 1000) 3.0..............6.7..........................12.0
    .44 Rem. Mag. (200 at 1219) 4.1..............6.3......................... 10.0
    .44 Rem. Mag. (200 at 1295) 4.1..............7.2......................... 10.6
    .44 Rem. Mag. (200 at 1326) 3.0..............11.9.........................16
    .44 Rem. Mag. (225 at 1239) 3.0..............12.4.........................16.3
    .44 Rem. Mag. (240 at 1144) 4.1..............8.0 .........................11.2
    .44 Rem. Mag. (240 at 1172) 4.1..............8.4......................... 11.5
    .44 Rem. Mag. (240 at 1200) 4.1..............8.9......................... 11.8
    .44 Rem. Mag. (240 at 1271) 4.1..............10.0.........................12.5
    .44 Rem. Mag. (240 at 1450) 3.0..............22.5.........................21.9
    .44 Rem. Mag. (300 at 1187) 3.0..............22.6.........................22.0

Recoil has a lot to do with bullet weight load used velocity the bullet is moving and the weight of the gun. Also if your hands don't fit the revolver well or any firearm the recoil will feel much worse for you.

6. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member

To me if felt harder to keep the muzzle down but my impact point didn't change.

Could be....

Masterp, I was thinking the same thing. The recoil didn't bother me, I just found the sharper recoil of the lighter load less pleasant to shoot. The heavier bullet gave a firmer but more controlable recoil then the lighter. 240gr WWB JSP and 185gr Remington JSP, if you want to compare them. The same felt recoil is the reason I'm not a 40 fan.

Tango, you're right about grip fit. I had to play with a few things before I found what works for me.

7. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Spitty, I'm a sissy boy myself. I shot one of the light scandium framed .44s once and didn't enjoy it at all...

8. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member

I'm using Pach grips and shooting gloves. That combination allows me to enjoy shooting it and hit what I'm aiming at.

9. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

This is a very interesting thread for me. Thanks.

10. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I have Pach's (or Hogue's) for all of my revolvers as wood is for pictures - not shooting IMHO. Never tried a shooting glove but I will if I ever get another big bore revolver...

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

there is a measurement missing. in car engines they have have torque which is the measure of power an engine has and horse power which is in a round-a-bout way the rate at which torque is built.

i used to have a 338 winmag and i simply did not enjoy shooting it. a very unpleasant round. my 458 winmag and 458 lott using full power loads is more pleasent than the 338 was. there is no doubt which is the more powerful round. and which generates more recoil.

with higher speed rounds the recoil force is applied in a far shorter duration.

if you load your own you can tailor rounds to suit your preference and tame down the rounds you shoot then hand the rube on the lane next to ya a full power load to "try" if they are giving ya hell.

i keep a few full power 458win mag 525 grainers handy for such folks. someone always has a smart comment about my big bore rifles so i let em try for themselves.

12. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member

I was thinking about a pair and stumbled on a pair of Uncle Mikes at an outlet for $8. They are a nice soft leather with gel in the web of the thumb and all 5 fingers are left open. I was worried they would change my grip but they didn't at all. They really help my grip and absorb recoil. I shot my 44 for an hour yesterday with nothing but magnums without a problem.

13. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Givin all the same conditions, the heavier bullet will recoil more, fact of physics. But, givin the shorter duration (barrel time) and faster acceleration of the lighter bullet, it will have a sharper felt recoil. Kinda like a slap in the face verses a heavy push. I worked-up a sheet of .357 loads for a magazine article way back in the seventies and had one 110 gr. load that clocked 1635 fps. out of a 6" Colt Trooper. The actual recoil of the gun was not that bad, but the felt recoil was brutally sharp. The 158gr. loads with the same powder (not the same charge wt.) had more actual recoil, but were more of a punch than a slap as far as felt recoil.

Jim.......

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I find this similar perception when comparing the .40 S&W to the .45 ACP.

I will shoot my 45 all day long but after two mags of the 40, the fun has gone.

Lighter/faster vs Big and Slow.

Go BIG or porch plink! - cane

15. cliffspot

cliffspot New Member

Grips and gloves = recoil control

Recoil control....I went thru about 8 different grips before I settled in on a Pachmayr Gripper for my Security Six 357 back in the '80's. Haven't had a revolver from '92 until last year. Got a Bisley in 45 Colt....with hot loads you want the wood grips so it doesn't torque your wrist! And as for a shooting glove, try the gel padded bike gloves with half fingers. Works great for me!