British Enfield 303

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Peter185, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Peter185

Peter185 New Member

Inherited this rifle with lots of cartridges. Can the 303 cartridges be used in any other caliber hunting rifle?

2. Sniper75

Sniper75 New Member

How many rounds do you have??? The only ones I can find is $40 for a box of twenty for my rifle. Any other rifle I am almost 100% that you can't I imagine someone out there might know something but again I don't think so

3. Catfish

Catfish New Member

Your ammo can be used in any other rifle chambered in 303.

4. ACRhino

ACRhino New Member

I think Savage had a .303 chambering ... and there is always the Vickers machine Gun lol.

5. 303tom

303tom New Member

As if you can`t tell by my handle, (YES) I have killed several White-tail with a Enfield.

Attached Files:

• No4.jpg
      No4.jpg
      File size:
      102.6 KB
      Views:
  6. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

The .303 British cartridge can be utilized in any firearm chambered for the .303 British cartridge. I'm not familiar with any modern bolt action rifles that are chambered in it, but I'm certain there are several out there.

7. TLuker

TLuker New Member

Ruger makes a nice single shot in .303 British, but that's about it. Occasionally you see an older rifle in .303 British that's not an Enfield but it's rare. Savage had a .303 Savage cartridge but that is an entirely different caliber than a .303 British. Savage also produced an Enfield in .303 British. It's possible they produce a hunting rifle in .303 British but I'm not sure?

8. TLuker

TLuker New Member

Please Post Some Pics of That Enfield?

Peter185, post some pictures of that Enfield. They're great guns. There's a lot of different types of Enfields and they all have an interesting history.

9. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Nice rifle :cool:

10. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

The Savage 303 and the British 303 are NOT the same caliber and are NOT interchangable.

11. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Or the Bren light machine gun ;).

12. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

REAL good point of fact :cool:

13. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

let's see some pictures of yours!

here's mine, dated 1906:
    [​IMG]
    it's wearing an old Bushnell ScopeMaster 6X with post reticule to kinda keep with the vintage look & feel of the gun

i didn't get on the ball quick enough so i missed out on deer season this year but this belonged to a great uncle of mine & it was his deer rifle for many years.

in the stores around here .303 is close to $40 a box after tax so i feel your pain sniper75. but i've bought shells online for as cheap as $15 or so for a box for S&B, so that's probably your best bet too.

14. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

That is i think the best looking sporterized rifle i have seen.

15. zimm

zimm New Member

P-14 rifles were made in the U. S. for Great Britain during WWI and were chambered for the .303 British cartridge. This rifle was the basis for the M-1917 rifle used by the U. S.
    It is my understanding that G.B. did not issue P-14 rifles to front-line units during the war.

16. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

Mod Santa Fe,Golden State Arms 303 Brit.jpg
    This was my very first rifle, given to me 50 years ago when I was 13. It was sporterized by Golden State Arms. I recently (about 12 years ago) put a different stock and a scope on it. it is still my favorite rifle.

17. TLuker

TLuker New Member

The Twins (They're Not Identical)

The one on top is a 1944 No4 with a Charles Daily 4x16. I got it from my Daddy when I was 16 (He got a new .270). He says that was the day I started killing deer and he stopped. We still joke that you could shoot a deer in the hoof with this gun and it would still drop in its tracks. Unfortunately, the foregrip has started warping and touching the barrel. It has been temporarily replaced. I'm either going to insert a metal rod to straighten it or just put it back as is and retire the old war horse. This is my sentimental favorite.

Bottom is a 1943 No1 with a Simmons 44mag. It's the redheaded step child of my guns; tough as nails but still shoots great.

Enfields are great guns :)

Attached Files:

18. 303tom

303tom New Member

I have one other sporterized Enfield but it is not a .303, this one is a 2A.

Attached Files:

19. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Great looking rifle also

20. DunRanull

DunRanull New Member

OP, you do worse than a nice .303 converted to sporter or left as-is. Having a lot of ammo is a GOOD thing. I got a nice post-ww2 Lee-Enfield from the widow of a departed ww2 vet. With it came a bunch of ammo, most in original packing, marked "Lend-Lease" Made in America by Winchester I believe. There was a lot of loose ammo which I shot up and saving the Lend-Lease stuff for a future collector perhaps.
    Mine was a "Fazakerly 1948" or 47. Shot very accurately, so well that I started to reload for it. The only downside was the wood. Looked as if the Brits recycled old wood on new firearms. Not that it helps much but the Russian 7.62X54R, the Jap .30 cal Arisaka and the .303 were designed along similar lines. The ammo isnt interchangable but close.

I know people from western Canada- BC- who grew up on the Brit .303- bear, deer, elk or whatever, the round being very popular and cheap up there at the time, kinda like the '06 Springfields were here...