best way to sharpen a knife?

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by beastmode986, Jun 27, 2012.

1. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Whats the best way to sharpen a knife? I bought a sharpener that has the knuckle guard on it and i do like 20 strokes on a knife and its still not sharp i can run my finger across it and not even get anything close to a cut. I have files (never tried them) what do you guys reccomend?

(when i test the sharpness of my knife i lightly and slowly run my finger across the knife and when i think im about to get cut i stop so i dont get a cut for those wondering, dont want anyone thinking i purposely cut myself)

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Get a lansky sharpening kit.

3. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Lansky basic set

ForumRunner_20120627_031309.jpg

4. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

Gramps used a wet stone.. I've gotten some knives sharp as hell with this. I'm still not as good as he was though.

ForumRunner_20120627_044107.jpg

5. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Find a method that works for you and apply patience. Somedays I find great success with an Ark. black stone. Other days I have to go to a gimick sharpener just to get a working edge. Patience seems to be the underlying key to a sharp knive for me. JMHO

6. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

I have always used wet stones. The edges on my chef's knives and hunting knives could be used to shave with. No better edge than with a wet stone done properly.

Jim....

7. W. C. Quantrill

W. C. Quantrill New Member

The first thing is that you may have to re-shape your knife edge then sharpen it. Some steels just wont sharpen, or if they do, they will not hold an edge. SURGICAL STAINLESS STEEL, blades for the most part are 420 stainless, and they do not have the carbon content to hold an edge. They are tough and make good pliers, but they are gooey and gummy and will not hold an edge.

If your blade has been used until you have a thick round edge surface, then re-shaping the edge is in order before you even begin to try to get it sharp, I agree with the Lansky. If you work an edge then hold the knife edge up to a light and you can see a shine down the edge, then you have not gotten the edge reshaped yet. If you can file the edge, then likely the steel is too soft to hold an edge.

I polish my edges in with a belt grinder. But, for field use, I carry a Lansky kit. Begin with a coarse stone with plenty of oil and work your way down until the knife will slice paper without snagging.

8. Dan308

Dan308 New Member

9. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Once sharp I use any large piece of leather to finsh.

10. bkt

bkt New Member

I use two stones - one medium, one extremely fine. It takes a little practice to do, but you'll get outstanding results.

Then, I use some jeweler's rouge for polishing steel rubbed on a leather strop and I polish the bevel. It only takes a few minutes to get a mediocre blade razor sharp.

11. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

oki thanks for the tips ill purchase stones soon. However my knife that i carry isnt to sharp after filing,sanding,sharpener and using the coffee mug trick.Its very weird.

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

Send me a pm, tell me about your knife. I may sharpen it for free. You'll have to pay for shipping.

13. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Or ill sharpen it.

14. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

No no no. give a man a fish he eats for a day teach him to fish and he eats for life. Just doing it for him isn't gona help him at all. The knife will get dull again and then he will be rite back where he started.

15. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

If you go w a lansky buy a good steel or diamond rod.......preferably both.

16. Gone_South

Gone_South New Member

I went to the local hunting & fishing supply place today looking for a wet stone & they didn't have any. He did show me a contraption called wicked edge that is supposed to be the bees knees.

Only $275.00 plus other attachments that would push it to $400.00 give or take.

Holy crap. All I wanted was a wet stone!

17. blittle

blittle New Member

I have a Spyder Co. sharpener that I love. It comes with 4 triangle stones, two rough, two fine diamond. I've always achieved pretty good results. I also use a jewler's rogue as someone else mentioned, when it is available to me, which my cousin has at her pawn shop, but it's too much of a drive for me to go to just to sharpen a knife.

18. trip286

trip286 New Member

Best way to sharpen a blade? Send it to me along with ten bucks. I shave with a straight razor, you know I'll get it sharp. I use three different stones and a strop. I do skip my coarse stone if I don't have to use it.

Really, we should sticky a blade sharpening thread. And for the hell of it, I'm going to get started on an article for sharpening. I know not everyone agrees with my method, but it's the same method used for hundreds of years, and it gets my face baby smooth.

If folks want to use expensive contraptions, doodads, geegaws, and/or machines, and it works for them, fine. But I'll share mine tomorrow when I'm not tired as hell.

19. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Yes, stones have been used for a very long time. I even saw a gent sharpen a kitchen knife w the back of a plate once. However, keeping a consistent angle is difficult and for some, downright impossible. We joke about idiot scratches on 1911s, yet many a good knife has been down that road. :eek:

The easiest system I have used to date is Spydercos. Nothing is foolproof but It is easier to maintain a sharp knife w a quality steel than it is to sharpen from scratch.

A sticky on sharpening is overdue but you should also have a primer on steel. (S30V, D2, ZDP 189 )

20. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Is this how you sharpen your ka-bar??? Oh wait I forgot some punk ass kid is now using it for a can opening pry bar;) sorry Walt couldn't resist:p