Are there any budget shotguns?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by DerickVonD, Jul 5, 2012.

1. DerickVonD

DerickVonD New Member

I don't have a lot of money, but really want a shotgun. I don't need one with a whole bunch of bells and whistles. I'm looking for a shotgun I get buy used if need be for around $100-$150 and I'd like it to be about to hold 6 or more rounds. Are there any out there?

2. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

For that price you may find a used Maverick 88 or H&R Pardner but for 200-225 you could get a new one.

3. longunner

longunner New Member

+1 for the maverick 88 it was my first gun and I love it. It gets a bad wrap but the only differences between it and a 500 are the location of the safety and that the parts are made in Mexico.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Shop around for some of the JC Higgins pump guns. These were made mainly by High Standard for Sears, and are High Standard Flight Kings. Have purchased some for under $100. shotguns 001.jpg

12 g and 20 guage JC Higgins- Mdls 20 and 21.

5. orangello

orangello New Member

I picked up my Mossberg 500 in a pawn shop for $100, back in 1995; it was uuuuuuuuuuuuugly but reliable.

6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc New Member

Yeah, checking teh used shelves in gun shops or checking pawn shops is often a good way to find a shotgun on a budget. I've seen Remington 870 express shotguns in our local pawn shop for $295 and Mossberg 500s for $150-175. Savage/Stevens shotguns also run around $125-175.

7. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

8. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

I do not know what you plan on getting but I will be at the gun show in PG and selling one or 2 along with one or 2 rifles depending on what I decide. I do not know how good you are with guns but one of my shotguns that I got recently needs a little work on the outside but shoots very well. Its a mossberg 500a 12ga that someone didn't take care of. Ill probably end up selling it for 125. It just needs some tlc to get it looking nice again and I have other things to work on before it.

9. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Pawn shops, local want adds, or new maverick 88 for cheap, also new england h&r, partner shotguns are cheap

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have to agree with the others, new there is the Maverick 88 or the H & R Pardner. used hit up the local gun stores and pawn shops. i bought a used Maverick 88 12ga several months ago for $120. actually it's in really good condition and shoots pretty good. there are some good deals out there you just got to go looking for them.

11. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

i must've really lucked out cuz i just picked up a used Mossberg 500A for $130 after shipping & it looks near new.

i second the JC Higgins recommendation, great guns, super smooth action. my local wal mart has a New England Pardner pump for $160ish i believe so that's something to look for

12. ryevick

ryevick New Member

Congrats on your purchase, I was about to suggest the I.A. Hawk 982/Rem 870 copy... it gets huge reviews... I just bought one new for $177... looks like I got their last one but they are still out there.

13. mrfox556

mrfox556 New Member

Hit the pawn shops. I had a jc higgins I paid 125 for. Gave it to a buddy's dad. Great budget gun.

14. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

used 870 express, mb500, h&r but remember you get what you pay for start saving to upgrade if you buy it for the right price now you will not loose on a trade