AR rail without removing front sight?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by SkilletFan24, Jan 8, 2014.

1. SkilletFan24

SkilletFan24 New Member

I was wondering if there was any rail out there that I could attach to my AR without removing the front sight/gas block. I built my first AR on Monday for $470 and am already eyeing some upgrades, but I would like to avoid removing the gas block at all costs if possible. Right now I'm using the standard A-2 hand guards. Thanks for any help y'all!

Attached Files:

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member

Skillet,

The easiest quad rails to install are for example those like the Surefire Model M-73 type two piece quad rail. Which by the way would just fit on your M4 Hand Guard Length Rifle. Many companies are making them and you can put them on your rifle simply by removing your standard M-4 Hand Guard that you have. But one thing you must do when you install them is re-zero your rifle because they will change the barrel harmonics of the barrel. Causing it not to be zeroed as it was previously. It is simple! Put them on as instructed and re-zero your rifle!:)

3. SkilletFan24

SkilletFan24 New Member

4. KG7IL

KG7IL New Member

There also rail add ons that mount to your existing hand-guard.

I linked the first one I found, no recommendation, just an example.

It is wedge shape to accommodate standard fore grip.

I added one. I decided to neatly drill and tap my rail for a cleaner mount, but they come with the necessary hardware.
    I added one on top for a 45 degree light mount. didn't want sharp edges around the rest of the fore grip.

Easy installation.
    Remove grip, bolt in place, Re-install grip.

http://www.midwayuk.com/John-Masen-Picatinny-Style-Accessory-Rail-AR-15-Blue

[​IMG]

5. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

I currently have a lightly used UTG drop in quad rail I'm not useing but it had a rock solid mounting on my AR and I was impressed with it and they are around $60 new.

My .02¢

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  6. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Vltor Cas-V is a drop in install for carbine length.

The Cheapest solution is a Magpul MOE handguard and a polymer rail section.

7. SkilletFan24

SkilletFan24 New Member

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  8. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

I just grabbed a magpul carbine handguard for like $30. Its solid and has mounting points for rail sections