AR-15 scope question

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by bigred61, Sep 3, 2013.

1. bigred61

bigred61 New Member

Not sure if my question goes here or over in the hunting forums....

Anyway I have a S&W M&P with a 1:9 twist that I would like to take white tail hunting. It is what I have access too, and I am pretty confident in my abilities to take the right shot. I know there is a lot of discussion about .223/5.56 and deer hunting but that is not my question or the purpose of this post.

My question is about a scope. My current set up has a 512 EOTech on it. I have seen the G33 magnifier that can work in conjunction with the 512. But at $500 that just about eats up all my budget. If I can find a decent scope that can work for a hunting set up on a ar, then I might be able to get it for a bit less, freeing up some funds for other needed gear.

So I guess I have 2 questions really, is the 512+G33 combo any good as a hunting rig, or should I just get a dedicated scope with a quick mount?

Other question, any decent scope options in the 200 to 300$ price range that will work at the range(100 to 200yd) that I will be working at?

Thanks in advance guys!!

Ashton

2. Rick1967

Rick1967 Active Member

I am the king of cheap. No one will ever accuse me of buying more expensive than I need. I have a 1 in 7 twist barrel on my AR. I am running a Simmons 3-9 x 40. It says 8-Point on it. I don't remember where I got it. But I have never spent more than $100 on a scope. I can shoot 100 yard 3 shot groups with the holes touching each other. It can't be too bad.

3. Rick1967

Rick1967 Active Member

You should stop by the introductions area and say "Hello". Welcome to the forum.

4. bigred61

bigred61 New Member

Roger that!

5. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member

Ashton.

Obviously the EOTech 3X unit would work just fine for deer hunting with the 223/5.56. Since all shots should be taken at closer ranges. But the other issue is if you are looking for a quality quick disconect scope mount for the full sized scope you are looking there around $199.00. Then if you buy a good scope for around $300 you are goiing to have right at $500 anyway. So if that be the case I would go with the 3X unit. That way you would not have to keep re-zeroing the rifle each time you changed optics. Quick disconect or not you are going to have to re-zero! The other lesser expensive way to go for example is to buy like a Rock River High Rise Cantilever Mount 1" Part No. AR0130T and then get a fair priced good quality scope and you will come in Under $350.
    Good Luck on your choice and excellent shots will be required but can be done!

6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Active Member

I have my scope mounted on a 1 inch tall x 6 inch long riser. I am able to switch back and forth with my Red Dot and my carry handle. I have not had to re-zero yet. I simply remove the entire riser with the scope on it. But I have not tried to shoot it past 100 yards either.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

nikon m223 with a adm qd mount excellent scope and superb mount

8. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member

Rick,

I understand what you are saying but being an accuracy freak what is zero for one person may not be for another. If we are speaking about hitting a target it can happen but if benched very seldom the rounds will hit in the exact same spot. May be off only an inch or two but will normally be off some. Of course it would still hit a 8 inch target at 50 or 100. The easy and cheapest way is a cantilever mount and a good scope like JonM suggested. When scoping an AR Rifle with a normal sized scope a cantilever mount or similar mount is necessary for proper eye relief and adjustment of the forward and rearward movement of the scope. The eyepiece should be even with the back of the charging handle when in the proper position.

9. emo

emo Lifetime Supporting Member

Just because you have an EoTech doesn't mean you need to use their 3x magnifier. Take a look at the magnifier from Vortex.
    http://www.amazon.com/Vortex-VMX-3T...378254342&sr=8-1&keywords=vortex+3x+magnifier

10. bigred61

bigred61 New Member

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

dont get so happy...

the vortex magnifier is not very good at all. field of view is very much like taking the insides of an inkpen out and trying to look through that. the fish eye effect is simply aweful.

its one of the few vortex products that really is terrible.

i have one so im speaking from experience

12. bigred61

bigred61 New Member

Not to question your experience, but there are quite a few good reviews out there on it.

Just a question, you do not happen to have an astigmatism do you? I have found with some clients in my line of work if their astigmatism is "against the rule" as it is called, they tend to have distortion issues looking through certain optics. The fish eye effect you describe is almost word for word what I have had another client describe.

Again not trying to discredit you, just curious, as looking around for the last 15 min so I have not seen a poor review.

Ashton

13. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Utg makes a good inexpensive fts magnifier. Works well with the eotech.
    I'd take Jon's experience over random reviews.

14. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Honestly, if you are getting a magnifier, just get a 1-4x or 6x. They are just as light, almost as fast at 1x, and if you choose carefully will have a much better eyebox at full power. Its all about getting the fastest sight picture so you can take a shot.

15. Triumphman

Triumphman New Member

Right now, Bushnell has a great AR Scope out. It's a 1x4 with either Illuminated Reticle or without Illuminated Reticle. The IR will be the "Throw-Down" Model. It has a Rod that you can use to quickly change from one zoom to another. It's getting very good reviews on such a new Scope. I understand the Glass is very chrisp, and the Reticle is a Horseshoe design to immediately guide the Eye, with a Dot in center.
    Walmarts in area is selling either the IR Model, and some Wally's are selling the non-Illuminated Model, so you might want to look around. It goes from $250 to $297 depending on what Model. WalMart (sometimes) will also Price Match even from an Internet Site if you find it cheaper.
    Del

16. samnev

samnev New Member

Sorry but I couldn't disagree more than to put a cheap scope on any rifle. I have seen to many fail both on the range and in the field. Cheap $200 scopes do not have the resolution, clarity, lack of chromatic aberration durability, accurate tracking, quality turrets and reliability that the more expensive scopes have. I have seen Tasco, Barfka, Simmons. NCStar BSA scope fail the first time they were at the range in my many years of shooting both at the range and in the field. You can find the new Weaver line, the Bushnell Elite line for a few dollars more and have a decent scope. One doesn't have to buy a Vortex Razor, Nightforce, USO, Schmidt and Bender, Hensoldt, Premier and the like unless they require scopes that will be used under extreme conditions. You get what you pay for in an optic. There is an old saying "The cheap comes out expensive" that couldn't be more true than when buying a cheap scope.

17. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Who are you disagreeing with? I must have missed the post.

18. bigred61

bigred61 New Member

Lots of good discussion here guys, thanks for all the information. I feel like I need to explain my self a little more.

I have a $550 budget, whether I buy a magnifier, or a scope and riser/mount is really my question. I like the G33, and there does seem to be other magnifier options, but I can not help but wonder if, by using a magnifier, I may miss out something that the scope would provide or do better. To me it seems the scope is designed for the long shots, and the magnifier, is secondary, is there something lost in that equipment difference?

I may just end up doing a scope and riser/mount. Come April I am getting a Savage 30-06, I may look into doing something where I can switch the scope between the two of them. Going with what Sniper was saying I am sure I will have to re-zero, but April is still pretty far off to decide anything yet.

My earlier comment about a $200 scope was incidental based on the fact that what ever optic set up I choose, if I spend less than $550, I can have extra funds for other gear I have been looking at.

@JonM - is there any particular nikon m223 you would recommend? There seems to be quite the spread of options.

Ashton

19. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I have a Nikon ProStaff 2-7x32 on my range rifle. I really only use it to shoot 50-200yds (mostly 100), so it works fine. I think I paid $150 from Midway a few months back. No issues so far.

I also have one of those Primary Arms 3X magnifiers that came free when I bought an EoTech a few months back. It's still new in the package, and I'd probably make you a killer deal on it...but generally I think you'd be better served hunting with a decent magnified scope.

20. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I bought a Nikon Monarch African 1-4X20 and its a great scope .I did buy it used from a guy that had it for a month and decided he wanted a red dot instead . I paid $250 for it with the forward mount . Its crystal clear and more than gets the job done at 400 yards . yet on 1X its very quick to get on target with both eyes open

[​IMG]