Anybody ever take a pig with an ar?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by lifeguardkliff, Sep 22, 2013.

1. lifeguardkliff

lifeguardkliff New Member

It's got my license and would like to use my ar for a purpose other then killing paper. My instructor said (without me asking) a 5.56 would not kill a pig but I have seen videos of people taking out bore from 100yrd with an ar15 not an ar10 which the instructor said it must have been cause the guy in the vid must have been shooting a 300 win mag but I know 300 win mag isn't possible in the ar 15 platform so I am asking for all the knowledge of the forum to help me out do I need to use my shotgun or can I take my baby on a date and dance with the big boys... Thank you in advance for the impute

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

556 is plenty for hog in the common 50-200lb range, especially if your using 60+ grain softpoints

you prolly need to redo any classes as your "instructor" doesnt seem very well informed. no telling what else he has told you that isnt correct.

3. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

By his logic I guess all the pigs I've shot with a .223 died on accident......

Yea I'd find a new instructor. :)

4. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Any 50-75gr spftpoint, V-tip, or JHP should do the trick on pigs 300lbs or less.

5. BVAL

BVAL New Member

Yes you can use the 223 Rem / 5.56 to take hogs. Use 50g or heavier solid or soft point bullets.

Best bullet placement is right behind the ear or between the ear and eye. I have taken many a hog in my life time with an AR-15. Bought one back in 1978 , have hunted with it all these years. I'm not afraid to take the shot if it is presented to me as stated before. If you must know, I have taken them also with 22lr and 22mag rounds. It all boils down to bullet placement.

6. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

68grainers to the head behind the ear BOOM goes the dynamite Hog DRT....

7. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member

Quit scaring the pigs to death! :eek: :rolleyes:

8. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

Do you have to have a small capacity magazine to hunt with?

9. 1911love

1911love New Member

In FL no regs on hog if hunting on private property. Public land has to be a 5 round mag for a rifle. Not sure if you need a license on public land. I would think most states are like this because hogs are so invasive and not indigenous.

If you're looking for private land to fold them, see if any paper mills are in your area. A lot of times they will pay you to send the hogs to hog heaven.

10. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

No regulations for hog hunting on private land in Arkansas.

Public land however, changes from WMA to WMA. No mag cap unless specified.

11. Chainfire

Chainfire Active Member

I never took a pig with an AR, but my best friend took one to the senior prom.

12. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

I have never seen a pig with an ar.
    But I have seen a monkey with an AK

13. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

Chain and SS... Bravo

14. DropZone889

DropZone889 New Member

That should be noooo problem man, I live in FL and I once took a manatee back in '73 (275lbs) so I see noooo problem.

****Now nobody freak out just kiddin! I love manatees.

15. BVAL

BVAL New Member

Yes you need a license to hunt hogs on public land. Also this goes for all the different wildlife management areas, in the state of Florida. It is also true that the magazine limit to use in semi-auto center-fire rifles is 5 rds. Hunted here in Florida all my life, fun going after those pine woods rooters.

16. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

I've got friends who hunt hogs all year round and the only thing they use is AR15s. They have no issues with them. They kill them all the time and donate the meat to a homeless shelter when their freezers are full.

One of them uses M855. (Cheap mil-spec .556NATO with the steel penetrator.)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  17. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

What about hitting it with one of these? 130 Hornady V-Max 300 AAC hand load.

image-4293116959.jpg

18. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

Vmax isn't bonded, hit any bone and you're SOL. Even if you dont hit the bone you're not getting much penetration with jt. Works great on smaller game though!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  19. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Kills pigs just fine for me. Never lost one using it.

20. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

I asked my buddy, he said we had the problems we had with it because we were using the 32 grain. My bad.

:)