All guns stolen :(

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by alaskandude33, Oct 12, 2013.

1. alaskandude33

alaskandude33 New Member

Parents got divorced over the summer. She stole all my guns and sold them :(

2. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

If you don't have a police report on this you need one right NOW! This can come back and haunt you forever if you don't have documentation of the theft.

I feel bad for you, but this is a perfect example of yet another reason to secure your firearms.

3. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Wait...Parents split...And your guns got gone...Somersetting sounds off here....
    File them as stolen. Then let the chips fall...

4. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Report them stolen immediately.

5. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

You are absolutely right. I tried to be nice about it because nobody wants to file against a parent, but the guns were stolen. He needs to report it. If Mom gets an attitude about it she needs to consider what can happen to her kid if these guns ever get used in a crime. He has nothing on record right now, and he desperately needs something official.

6. GTX63

GTX63 New Member

And then after you found out, she gave you the money and the buyer's information, right?

7. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

A big question here is whose name is on the bill of sale for the guns.

8. JW357

JW357 New Member

That's a good point. If they're legally hers, I doubt there's much you can do.

If YOU bought and paid for them, file them as stolen with the police.

9. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

Good point. I think most of us were working on his statement

but he might not be the actual owner. Still, even if they were gifts, it's still theft.

10. Rick1967

Rick1967 Active Member

Hey Alaskandude33...are you a minor? Do you live with one of your parents? If so she may have been within her rights. If you are of age and were simply storing them at your parents...different story. Did she know they were yours?

11. Airborne1

Airborne1 New Member

If they are his guns, or his fathers and in one of their name's she knows they are not hers, and it is Theft!
    I would first tell her to either get them back immediately or you are going to file a theft report!

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i think we need a few more details than simply his one little comment.

is the OP a minor or an adult?

who bought and paid for the guns?

whose house were the guns in?

13. Rick1967

Rick1967 Active Member

The age of the OP is of great importance here. If he is an adult he has a legitimate complaint. If he isn't old enough to legally own a gun...he hasn't got a leg to stand on.

14. Axxe55

exactly. if he is a minor, not that what she did was morally right, but may be legally right for her to do. the OP's age is a big factor in this.

15. Rick1967

Rick1967 Active Member

Depending on where they live it might not be theft. Colorado is a community property state. If the OP is a minor and the guns were the fathers, then in Colorado they would be equally hers. She would have the right to sell them.

If the OP is an adult and she thought the guns were her husband's...she could have sold them not knowing they were not legal for her to sell.

If my mother sold my guns because she thought they were my father's I would be bummed. But I would not try to charge her with anything. I would want to find out who bought them just to make sure they were not a felon. I would expect my mother to give me the money she got for them.

16. Axxe55

plus many times during a divorce, things can get pretty heated and emotional between a husband wife. many times they will do something simply out of spite to hurt the other person. i have seen that many times.

17. alaskandude33

alaskandude33 New Member

Only problem is I'm not Technically old enough to "own" them. She claims their registered to her but there's no handgun registration in Alaska. I can't report them stolen because my little sisters with her, and at about $5,000 in guns, she'd get thrown in jail and my little sister would end up in foster care. It's a long story but my parents got divorced and I drove my mom and two sisters to Wyoming to start a new life outside Alaska. When I got there after over 48 hours of straight driving, she kicked me out of drivers seat, threw my cloths out the door and drove off. No argument or anything went down. OCS and the sheriffs office had me stay with my grandparents and then I moved back up to Alaska with my dad. Among my guns, she also stole my trumpets, my welding/fabrication equipment, all my positions and both my dogs...

18. alaskandude33

alaskandude33 New Member

*note: I worked my @$$ off for all of those guns. I paid for every last cent of them and for every single round fired from them. They were MINE

19. Axxe55

then you definately need to file charges on her and let the courts straighten it out. or get your father to file charges on her.

20. alaskandude33

alaskandude33 New Member

I've already tried. The court won't care. I'm a "minor" and she purchased them. I however paid for them. It's pretty messed up.