Air Marshal?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by JW357, Sep 14, 2013.

1. JW357

JW357 New Member

Anyone here ever been an Air Marshal or know someone personally who has?

I'm curious about this job. What can you tell me that isn't covered on the website?

This is a very general question. I want to know anything you know about it.

Pay? Benefits? Choice of domestic vs international flights? Time off besides leave? Issued firearm or do we have a choice? etc.

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

The only thing I know about it is that my step brother was turned down because he had a voluntary car repo when he was 19. He was around 32ish when he applied. They did a background check on everyone in the family and even asked what livestock and pets we all owned.

I could imagine their info on me...
    Marine combat vet...awards and citations... goldfish and kitten owner.

3. JW357

JW357 New Member

Interesting. I'm not too worried about the background check part. Its still interesting they would turn him down for that, though.

4. sbeezy

sbeezy New Member

Maybe they thought he was too old, but didnt want to "discriminate" so they used the repo as an excuse to not hire him. Although being turned down for that would annoy me more than being told I'm too old.

5. indy36

indy36 New Member

In one of the "Recoil" magazines they did a write up on them. They have the toughest handgun qualification of any position in any force, which makes sense when you think about it, being inside a plane (small space full of people).

6. JW357

JW357 New Member

Yeah, I was talking to a buddy last night who has a friend (I know, I know - it sounds like a "I know a guy who knows a guy" situation) who is an Air Marshal. And he said something similar. Basically they get a lot of very specialized training, but also some of the best LE training around.

7. indy36

indy36 New Member

I'm sorry, just looked. Wasn't "Recoil" but rather the winter 2012 edition of "Firepower". Looks like this: image-1300942143.jpg
    Here's the article title block: image-2104516781.jpg

8. JW357

JW357 New Member

9. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

10. TankTop

TankTop New Member

Just become a federal agent in any agency and you are automatically an Air Marshal. Also they don't try to take back the plane, just protect the door to the pilots in a hijack situation. Just what was told me by a federal agent.

11. JW357

JW357 New Member

Please explain what you mean. The Air Marshals fall under the TSA which falls under DHS. FBI or other federal agents would certainly help out the plane if they happened to be on it when needed, but that isn't their primary job.

:confused:

12. JW357

JW357 New Member

Sounds like it can get much more than that. And it never says you need a doctoral degree to make $55k.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Also, I don't know how reputable this source is, but:

http://work.chron.com/salary-range-federal-air-marshal-5852.html

13. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

On almost any flight you are on there will be a number of armed Federal Agents. Agents from ICE,FBI,Marshals Service, the list is endless. They must ID themselves to the Capt. on the flight deck. Air Marshals are seldom alone on domestic flights. Under Obama arming of pilots has declined. Federal Law Enforcement jobs are "Frozen" for the most part and agents are not being replaced.

14. JW357

JW357 New Member

That makes sense. But still, the job is attractive to me because of the (seemingly) excellent training.

Also, I won't be looking for a job anywhere for about 3 or so years. Maybe things will be different. Also, I have a feeling I would stand a good chance of getting the job, if they were hiring. I'll leave it at that.

15. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

If you are veteran you will be first in line. Veterans receive Preference on these jobs. Other Federal Agents are used for this protection as well. Many agents have similar and more training. Many agents who were recruited from the U.S. Border Patrol, ICE etc. have not been happy about their choices. :(

16. JW357

JW357 New Member

Veteran, check. Security clearance, check. Bachelors (by the time I get out of the Corps), check. Handgun experience, while not a necessity will probably help, check.

Let's do this.

17. partdeux

partdeux New Member

As someone who spent a LOT of time on commercial flights, it got to the point where I actively looked for a job that did not involve air travel.

18. manta

manta Active Member

A important job but I can't think of a more boring job.

19. JW357

JW357 New Member

I agree. 95% or more of it would be boring and uneventful. And who knows? If I try for it and get it, I might not be able to stand it for very long. But it seems like the benefits and training would be worth doing at least for a little while.