A Little More Help From Former/Current LEO's

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by TimL2952, Oct 18, 2012.

1. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

Hey guys, I appreciate any of you taking the time to read this and offer any help you can.

I'm currently in school with a major in Ciminal Justice with an emphasis in Law Enforcement with a minor in Spanish.

I'm also on the University's shotgun shooting team. I've also been a gun nut since I was about 7 and spend the majority of my free time researching and learning.

The other day my professor who is a former Missouri State Trooper, Nevada State Trooper and St. Charles Police Officer was talking about Police Armorers and the job really piqued my interest after not being sure what I wanted to do with these studies.

What steps should/can I take to try to become a Police Armorer???

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member

Most agencies are not large enough to have a full time armorer. In the days of the six shot revolver, there was actually some work to be done on the guns. With the modern semi-auto pistol and limited amunition budgets, the guns just don't break. At best, you could hope for a small sideline in an agency working on some guns. Most places have a range officer that is also armorer trained.

Most manufacturers have armorers courses. I have been to S&W (revolver and pistol), Sig, Colt (AR's and M-16's) armorers courses. In an agency of over 1000 sworn, it was never more than a sideline. The occasional staking of a gas key or detail cleaning of an older Winchester shotgun is about it.

3. Car54

Car54 New Member

Is your underlying message, about your professor not being able to keep a job?

Seriously, I agree with Robocop. I know GT Distributors hosts Glock courses throughout the U.S, but I do believe they only accept certified LEO's for the course.

4. PC167

PC167 New Member

My department like most requires you to be a certified firearms instructor in order to be an armor.

5. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

Not at all. Every time he moved it was a promotion. State Trooper -> Chief of Nevada Troopers -> Moved back home as Chief of St. Chuck Police.

6. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

I had heard that it's mostly a side job that is combined with firearms instruction. I'm just not sure I can hack it as a patrol officer.

7. robocop10mm

VERY rare for a non certified PO to become an LE firearms instructor. Cops do not take instruction well from non-cops. You must have a certain degree of credibility to get to that position.

8. PC167

PC167 New Member

Agreed... :-D

9. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

Of course. I realize that means going through academy, getting the job, and being sworn in.

I just don't neccesarily want to be a beat cop.

10. robocop10mm

Well then, I think you have a nearly insurmountable task on your hands.