870 express & 870 express magnum.

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Zamzow, May 11, 2013.

1. Zamzow

Zamzow New Member

What is the difference between the 870 express and the 870 express magnum. I own both but I just inherited an 870 express magnum. They both hold the 3 inch shell, they both have the 28 inch barrel they look like the exact same to each other except one says 870 express and the other says 870 express magnumCheck out BloodBrothers, rated 4.7 stars! Use the download link and enter my Invite ID (LJToV) to claim a gift. http://bit.ly/mobage_bloodbrothers

2. bowhunter17

bowhunter17 New Member

I thunk that the Express can only hold up to a 3" shell while a Magnum can hold a 3 and a half inch shell.

3. akers06

akers06 New Member

No the super mag is the 3 1/2" gun....I always thought the magnum was 3" and the regular express was only 2 3/4" but I guess not lol...but I do know for sure that the super mag is the 3 1/2"

4. Virginian

Virginian New Member

3-1/2" is SuperMag as akers said. The first Expresses were introduced after Remington stopped making 2-3/4" chambered 12 and 20 gauge pump guns. All 12 & 20 Expresses are Magnums as they are capable of firing 3" shells. The rollmarking has switched around is all that is going on. What does the barrel marking say? 2-3/4" or 3". With the ones I have seen, the box still says Express.

5. GTX63

GTX63 New Member

My 870 Express Magnum, bought in 92, takes 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells, came with the 28" barrel and a 20" slug barrel.

6. Zamzow

Zamzow New Member

They both take up to the 3 inch shell.

7. kfox75

kfox75 New Member

From what i cam see, the only difference is the name (and serial number sorry, couldn't help myself. :D). I have seen no difference between my buddy's express and my express magnum is just that, the name. We have even go as far as to switch parts with each other's shotguns while at the range, and neither he nor I had any problems when we did so.

8. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

One jams some of the time and the other jams the rest...

9. Virginian

Virginian New Member

You have to take HockaLouis with a grain of salt. A Remington was mean to him when he was a small child, and he can't get over it.

10. akers06

akers06 New Member

Lmao mean ole remingtons

11. kfox75

kfox75 New Member

Always do. Some of us swear by Remingtons, and some of us swear at them.

Got a friend that suffers from the same condition when it comes to Mossburg 500s. When he was in his teens (Circa 1965), my buddy Gary had a model 500 that had a defect in the fire controls and in the bolt. If he racked the slide with the gun pointed up, all was good. if he pointed it down, or racked it with the muzzle pointed towards the ground, he got a bang out of it. the safety was on, and the boogerhook was nowhere near the trigger when this happened. The problem was found and fixed by a smith, but he has never trusted a model 500 since. Two days after getting his 500 back he went to the smith's shop and traded it in on a used Ithaca model 37 which he has used ever since.

Point is, I'm sure that Hocka has his reasons for disliking Remingtons. Just something to think about, that's all.

12. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Yeah, you guys figured me out -- I had a bad personal experience with a Remington. In fact, a similar problem as above but with an 870 Express. Damn thing actually went full auto on me! Maybe that's what "Express" meant when everyone was sure it meant they were being put together like fast food... Scared me so bad I almost upgraded to a Mosin Nagant.

:rolleyes:

Sorry team, the recent 870's are just not quality arms. Might look nice but they are not reliable anymore. Buy anything else.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  13. kfox75

kfox75 New Member

Got a good chuckle out of the upper part. I wouldn't know about the newer express models, both mine and my daughter's are pre 2003 models, and so far we have had no problems with them. Have heard quite a few folks talking about quality issues with some of the newer ones though, so it does make me stop and wonder just what is going on.

What happened to Gary is straight up God's honest, His father, cousin, and brother verified the story when I asked them about it. Pretty scary sh!t right there.

14. Virginian

Virginian New Member

I have seen a Browning Auto Five that went BANG if you dropped a shell in it and released the bolt. I have seen a Winchester Model 12 that went BANG when you closed the action firmly. I have seen an Ithaca 37 that set off the round in the magazine. Any mechanical device is subject to failure. Remember that and be safe.

15. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Well, let me comfort you with the recent words of the President of Remington: "it's not the action, it's the pointability." No sh!t, the guy actually runs around saying this of the Remington 870 because the quality is so bad...

16. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Full auto pump?

17. nixfix

nixfix New Member

Can you explain how a pump goes full auto? With the next live shell sitting in a separate tube from the barrel and chamber, I can't imagine this.

18. kfox75

kfox75 New Member

Very true. Murphy's Law is always in effect no matter where you are or what you are using. I'm sure we all remember rule #1.

"What ever can go wrong will go wrong, at the worst possible time."

This is why I drilled safety procedures into the minds of every person I have ever taught to shoot. The only reliable safety in the process is the trained shooter. Do NOT rely on the mechanical parts to work correctly, be prepared for the worst. Not doing so can cost a life.

19. kfox75

kfox75 New Member

Guess Hocka should have put that part in green. Sarcasm alert!

Maybe someone at Remington Added a large heavy spring behind the bolt by mistake. Or someone in R&D really screwed up when they sent their test model to the shipping department. :D

Had he used green, it would have been more obvious.

On the other hand, if someone makes a full auto pump, have them send it to me. Strictly for demonstration purposes, I promise. ;)

20. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Well, all magazines have the next round separate from the barrel and chamber at some point, but, yeah, I was as surprised as you are.
    :rolleyes: