.357 ammo question

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by snakedoc, Jul 15, 2011.

1. snakedoc

snakedoc New Member

Decided that I would see if anyone had any recommendation on a gentle .357 carry load? I have been told that most .357 users with 2-3 barrel use a +p .38 load.
    I run two boxes of ammo this afternoon through the standard Qual course. I tried a box of 110 gr. and a box of 158 grain. The 158 grain shot best for me however was a little brutal by 2nd box. LOL
    A friend told me he runs Federal Nyclad and also recomended the Win. Ranger in a .38 +P but I don't either comes in a .357. Favorite loads?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

for SD you prolly wont have time for a reload so going through a second box is not gonna happen. if you can fire 6 shots without issue your good to go.

3. CA357

CA357 New Member

A number of ammunition manufacturers make .357 mag specifically for short barrel revolvers. Look into Gold Dot, I think that's one of them and they make good stuff..

4. freefall

freefall New Member

I've been using Remington 110 gr in my SP101. Shoots pretty well to point of aim and is gentler than the 125 gr stuff.

5. OldManMontgomery

OldManMontgomery New Member

Jon answered the question, but...

The 158 grain loading was getting a little brutal at the end of the second box?

Yes. And?

You also said that worked the best for you. I'd go with what works the best, actually.

The best stopping .357 Mag ammo is the 125 grain Federal stuff. However, it is hard on guns and rather impressive in blast. It is not 'plinking' ammo. Nor should it be.

Bullet placement is key, so find what is most accurate in your gun and your hands. Then make sure it is suitably powerful to stop an opponent.

6. snakedoc

snakedoc New Member

I think I may have found a link for the Gold Dot load for the shorter barrels.

I didn't have any .38 practice loads and wanted to try the new tool out. The tempting smell of gunpowder and burnt Hopes #9 were too tempting.

Over 2 boxes of magnum later,I was still having a blast. Although the last few rounds were rough,I still had fun.

It seemed a little tight fitting so I think the person I got it from probably ran just the .38 loads. I gave it a good cleaning when I got home and noticed the carbon build up.

I pulled up the ballistics today and was very surprised what the .357 ballistics were. Never thought I'd like a wheelgun,but I'm hooked I think..:)

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired

I noticed that you also had another post with the same title and question. Please don't do that.
    Although some of us may not answer in a timely manner, you will get an answer.

By keeping to only one post, all the answers will show up in one thread.

8. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher

I remember reading study results that indicated out of a 2.5" barrel, magnum loads are not efficient at all. Shot power out of a very short barrel like that top out with +P ammunition. At least that is what I read.

Now from what it feels like in the hand, I'm skeptical of those conclusions. The 158gr rounds are brutal in my SP101. The 125gr rounds are more manageable. But for carry, I choose the +P.

One local LEO I spoke with recommended not carrying magnum rounds at all. Regardless of power or over-penetration issues, if in a defensive shooting situation, an attorney would have a hayday labeling someone who carried full magnum loads as a vigilante.

9. freefall

freefall New Member

So by that logic we should all carry .25 ACPs?

10. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher

Just passing along info. I don't claim it as my own.

11. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Any 357 with less than a 4" barrel is very significantly robbed of the round's cabability,just as any .44 magnum with less than a 6" barrel is robbed of it's cabability.I belive than the recoil from muzzle blast is less affected by barrel length than the projectile's velocity is,so you still feel that .357 with .38 velocity(well,a little more than .38).My philosophy is .38-get a 2",.357-get a 4" and .44m-get a 6".

12. SgtSam

SgtSam New Member

I notice that no one has mentioned the Remington Golden Saber ammo. Their .357 loading in the Golden Saber is not a full-house loading like the other manufacturers are using. It's not plinking ammo either. But, you could almost classify it as a .357 -P, or a .357 light. Yes, it still steps out way in front of a .38+P. But, it nowhere near a brutal as the regular top loadings in the .357.

Try some and see what you think.

13. snakedoc

snakedoc New Member

Will do. So far I've been very impressed with the .357. No plastic,no mags to lose and feels good to have on.

Got it in a Bianchi Shadow 7 holster(strongside) and I love it. That has to be the best holster I have ever worn. You can it strong or cross for driving or running the tractor or what not.

It feels good to carry .357 . Reminds me of what Skeeter Skelton and Elmer Keith wrote about when I was a kid reading their articles.....Now if I could about 1/2 as good....

14. Dragonheart

Dragonheart New Member

To reduce the felt recoil drop the bullet weight down to 110 grain Hollow Point.

Yes, shooting through with heavy bullets is a real problem everyone carrying for self defense should be aware of. A 9mm with a 147 grain bullet will easily go through a human body. A 357 magnum has even more velocity. The lighter bullets tend to expend the majority of their energy on the target. The higher velocity you will get using the 110 grain bullet out of a 357 magnum will cause tremendous tissue damage if used for self defense, with less chance of shooting through.

15. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup

I have shot 110, 130, 158 and 180 (Buffalo Bore). I have loaded in the Ruger is 130 gr SD. The Buffale Bore is fun to fire to feel the recoil; but, I only shoot 1 or 2 rounds very rare to shoot. I prefer at the range HSM 158 gr. very mild recoil.