30-06 brass

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by ineverFTF, Sep 1, 2012.

1. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

I am going to purchase some -06 dies for my grandpas reloading press, and was wondering, will i need to bell the cases? He does it with his 44's just curious about the -06

2. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

While im here, does any one on here deal in dies and such? I dont wanna pay more than 30-40$ for the dies including shipping.

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

You can probably get lee dies for $40-$50. I can't answer the first question.

4. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

I just found some lee's at my local BP for about 35$
    Is it a get what i pay for thing? Or will they be quality?

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Lee is decent. They are good for what they cost.

6. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Alright thanks.
    I have a mossberg 100 in -06 any load suggestions?

7. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I could look one up with bullet and powder info.

8. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

I have a good reloading book, was hoping for personal experience. Thanks for the help.

9. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

My personal experience consists of molding my own round ball over a fire and knowing a couple loads for the 45-70. Lol
    Happy to help

10. Trez

Trez New Member

You shouldnt have to bell the case with jacketed, sometimes with lead depending if your using a gas check or if the bullet is oversized (most lead rounds are slightly)

I have a Lyman press and a set of Lyman 30-06 dies I would sell for about that price... ;)

11. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member

Lee dies should be perfectly capable of loading what you need. No, you don't bell the mouths of bottleneck cases when loading jacketed bullets. A simple chamfer shoud be fine.

12. cottontop

cottontop Guest

You can get a set of RCBS used 06 dies from the bay for less than $40. I personally prefer RCBS (or almost any brand of dies over Lee, but many here would disagree w/ me, and that is just my opinion after almost 50 years of reloading with every brand of dies that exist) and nothing wrong with used as they almost never wear out and will last a life time anyway. Whenever I get a rifle that I don't have dies for, I always buy used and put the money saved toward powder, bullets, etc.
    No, you won't have to bell the case mouths, just chamfer and deburr.
    cottontop

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

as said above just a chamfer of the inside of the case mouth is all thats needed. the only issue with buying used dies or new dies for that matter is being sure they arent rusted inside.

14. cottontop

cottontop Guest

dies

I have bought many sets of used dies and I never had any that were rusted, either inside or out. They are very easy to clean anyway. Just unscrew the depriming shaft or bullet seater, pull it out, and clean with your barrel cleaning stuff.
    cottontop

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

You havent been to wisconsin gunshows heh

16. cottontop

cottontop Guest

No, I buy my used dies off the bay. Never bought any at gun shows. An interesting note though, I have tried to sell and trade some Lee dies at the Local Lakeland gun shows, and no one is interested. The dealers said they can't sell Lee dies. They said they have no resale value; they also said that now if they were RCBS, Lyman, or Redding, then no problem.
    cottontop

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2012