30-06, 300, or 308

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by johndeere, Dec 30, 2012.

1. johndeere

johndeere New Member

I am looking for a good long range deer hunting gun and am choosing between a 30-06 winchester which is what i have been hunting with, a 300 or a 308. If a 300 or 308 which producing company is the most reliable

2. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

how far of distance ? Out of those the 300 win mag would be my choice for the longest distance but its not cheap ammo , the 30-06 is a decent rifle at long distance but again its still a bit expensive , .308 would be my choice for mid length distance out to 600+ yards as its the cheapest ammo out there of the 3 listed . Really depends on what you call long distance . Will this be a bolt gun or a semi auto ?

3. johndeere

johndeere New Member

Probably a bolt and would like to reach around 800 yds

4. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

.30-06 Ackley Improved.

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

sorry John Deere, but you are approaching unethical hunting practices. what is the furthest you have ever shot at accurately? do you fully realize how far 800 yrds is? it's pretty dang far!

remember that in hunting you need to be able to hit a target of about 4-5 inches in diameter, consistently, each and every time you pull the trigger. realisticly can you really shoot that accurately?

the furthest distance i advocate anyone shooting at is the distance they can hit each and every time a person pulls the trigger. this distance will vary by caliber and the person doing the shooting. practice and more practice is the key factor in shooting accurately.

6. johndeere

johndeere New Member

I have had coyotes run across the field further than 800 yds away therefore being out of my range. While running a cattle farm you need to limit the amount of coyotes out of range so I can maximize my profits

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member

What does that have to do with deer hunting? IMHO, taking a "pot shot" at a coyote at 800 is a bad idea. I believe the first shot a coyote hears should be his last. I will not shoot "at" a coyote. I WILL shoot a coyote.

Deer are a different matter entirely. Until one can consistently hit a pie plate with the gun at the desired range, the shot should NOT be taken. 800 yards is well beyond the capability of 95% of the shooting populace. Way too many variables to consider. I would probably consider anyone who took such a shot to be not worthy of my conversation. I would not take that shot.

8. kalboy26

kalboy26 New Member

I would recommend a 300wsm, as that is what I use and love it. :) it is extremely flat shooting though, and can really reach out there. A buddy that I used to shoot with(until he recently moved) was out to 1000 yards consistent on a 12 in steel plate. I've only gotten mine out to 700, but I'm limited past that by my scope and me, not the round.

9. johndeere

johndeere New Member

Thanks i am now convinced to go with the 300 :)

10. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 New Member

My choice would be a 30-06 just because I reload for that caliber. A quality bolt action and optic is a must at long range, as well as skill. Shots past 400yrds gets a bit tricky unless you have done it. To hunt past that range you have to do it very well. If you take a shot at a deer at 500+yards you had better be able to hit the deer in the sweet spot. Like axxe55 said, you better be able to hit a 4-5'' target at those distances every shot. If you cant you have no business trying.

BTW if I wasnt reloading 30-06 I would go with the 300 Win Mag. I would love to have a 30-06 Ackley Improved. That turnes a very good .30 caliber into a great .30 caliber. .308 would be my last choice.

11. robocop10mm

You best plan on putting $200-$300 worth of ammo down range at that pie plate before trying it on bambi. Such a shot is not easy, with any caliber.

12. johndeere

johndeere New Member

That is cheap and also one of the best ways to spend money so i would be willing to spend over $500.

13. kalboy26

kalboy26 New Member

Take a look at the 300 wsm as well, some don't like it as much, but its a bit flatter shooting which I really like as I don't always have time to use a range finder to get my yardage and everything worked out.

14. robocop10mm

At least that is encouraging. Practice, practice, practice. Too many these days think a bunch of bling and $ signs guarantee an accurate shot. Few of them can hit the broad side of a barn, from inside the barn.

15. johndeere

johndeere New Member

Alright i will for sure take a look at the 300 wsm

16. locutus

locutus New Member

.30-06 or .308.

If you want to shoot living animals at 800 yards, the .50 BMG would be more appropriate. Preferably hard mounted on a vehicle.

17. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I would say .300 wsm. The 7mm is a good one also. But ammo is a bit more.

18. Hawkeye3030

Hawkeye3030 New Member

I have win 300 mag. It is accurate up 1000 yds+. I can shoot it up to 200 yds with no drop whatsoever. It is a bolt action rifle with a very sweet trigger. I put a muzzle break on it to save my shoulder from the massage therapist. You can go wrong. Check your Kmart. They are closing out their rifle ammo at half price.

19. Hawkeye3030

Hawkeye3030 New Member

I meant can't go wrong.

20. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

Seems to me 800-1000 yard shots are mainly done with targets for competition or the heck of it, I don't hear of many hunters even out west shooting that far at animals, you get to the extreme long ranges and many other variables have a big effect on your shooting, mainly good old mother nature, different wind gusts for example can throw you off different amounts, those sort of shots are very risky and take a ton of practice, even the most accomplished shooters aren't going to be near perfect at those ranges and are going to think twice before pulling the trigger and risking wounding an animal.