.243 for varmints?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Salvo, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Salvo

Salvo New Member

Does anybody else here use .243 for varmints/coyotes?

I live in a place where shots are long, and the mountains create wind conditions that are hard to dope out.

My gun likes Nosler 70 grain solid-base bullets. They seem to carry and buck the wind fairly well. - They group well too.

There is no occasion for rapid or high volume of fire here, so I'm hoping that my barrel will hold out OK.

I know that the .22s are most popular for smaller critters, specifically the 22-250, .223 and the 220 swift.

Anybody else here shoot .243 Winchester at varmints, instead?

[​IMG]

( Click image to see it larger )

2. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member

Never shot a .243. dont know how to judge it.
    But, I am one of those that shoots varmits with 22-250 and .223

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

that is the beauty of the 243. lighter bullets for smaller varmint sized critters and the larger ones for larger game like deer and such. lots of excellent ammo choices for the 243, so finding something that works well should not be a problem.

4. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

I use a 25.06 with 87 grain spitzers and never had a problem, so I'd imagine a 243 would be just as good for wolves on down.

5. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I have put a million dollars down a .243 barrel. {Not really}:eek: But I have burned up a couple of premium barrels. The .243 is an excellent choice for varmint shooting. The 6MM bullet is a dynamic killer. Make damn sure you watch the brass. The short necked case grows and thickens running breech pressures over the Moon.:eek:

6. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Anna Purna knows rifles. I agree the old 25-06 is a Death Wind in open country. My old SAKO has taken Sheep in Russia and about everything in the Rocky Mtns. :)

7. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Was that you hunting off my front porch? ;)

8. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

I have a Remington 710 youth in 243 . I shoot a 100 gr . For deer , hog's, and coyote's. .

9. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Yep Anna , Taking those shots across the Bearing Straits I need to use your sand bags. Damn I almost hit Sarah Palin with that last round.:eek:

10. robertusa123

robertusa123 New Member

243 for coyotes no problem. I shot a problem skunk with my winchester 70 in 243 once. That was a mess.

11. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

There is a reason that shooting skunks is not a popular sport. :eek:

12. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

The hell it ain't!
    We like driving around the hay fields at night and shoot the hell out of the skunks. I've killed 32 of those smelly little critters in one night. We mainly use 22's,but I've shot several with a 223 or 25/06 when that's what was in my hands at the time!

13. JimRau

JimRau New Member

I have in the past. It is probably one of the best calibers for this application out there.:)

14. JimRau

JimRau New Member

As long as you are smart enough to stay up wind of them when you kill them there is not a problem!!!:D

15. robertusa123

robertusa123 New Member

The one I shot was hit with a 100 grain soft point. It just explodes all over the place

16. Salvo

Salvo New Member

One year I was driving to the deer lease, listening to the car radio and there was a news alert about a rabies breakout in the county. Skunks were specifically mentioned in the report.

The next morning I loaded up my 30-30 and was strolling through the woods to a stand when I saw a skunk.

Normally skunks kind of go about their business and ignore you, if you are not close, but this one was aggressive and charged me from 50 yards away, tail raised up etc.

I let him get about thirty feet from me before I reluctantly shot him, knowing that the noise would alert every deer on the lease.

I saw does, but no bucks that day.

Stupid skunk with rabies.

17. Salvo

Salvo New Member

Anybody had any luck with the 58 grain bullets in .243? - I never found an accurate load with them, but got the 70 grain bullets to shoot five rounds into 1/2 inch on the third load I tried.

A maximum load with the 58 grain bullets will do amazing things to a watermelon, I discovered.

18. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

My 700 Remington out shoots my Savage 12 22/250 by leaps and bounds so it is my go to varmint gun. Shoots one ragged hole at 100 yds, the 22/250 barely shoots under 1 Moa and is almost twice as heavy. Probably don't need it any more since I got the 243.

19. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Now I expect some one will come up with a skunk call and of course camo made for skunk hunting. And you thought the "Swamp People" TV show was strange. :D;)

20. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

dem ones?
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg5NPBzfM_o[/ame]