.22 WMR vs. .17 HMR

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Jdrawdy, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Jdrawdy

Jdrawdy New Member

Me and a friend were talking and got to discussing the difference between the .22 mag and the .17. What do you prefer and why?

2. R-BOLT

R-BOLT New Member

I have both in bolt action rifles. Marlin in .22 mag and Savage in .17hmr. I shoot the .17 more as it seems to be more accurate and less drift. It is a hard hitting rimfire.

3. big shrek

big shrek New Member

.22 WMR for coyote/large raccoon & smaller out to 150yds with the new 34-grain rounds is as accurate as you could ask for. You can shoot farther, but your scope better be set up just right.

.17hmr for anything smaller than a 'yote out to 200yds works real fine too...and I'm hearing of more & more 250-300yd shots on groundhogs.

Now the only real difference between the two is the cost of the ammo & the cost of the guns. .22 WMR is usually cheaper by about $2 a box on average & about $50-100 cheaper on the rifles.

What I truly suggest for either...is to get the Heavy Target Barrel (Bull Barrel) if you are going to shoot over 100 yds.

The really fun part is they are both fairly inexpensive rifles to buy...you can get a Marlin 982VS .22 WMR for around $229-269 (depends on what part of the country you are in) or a Marlin 917VS or VT from around $300-399. The best part is you can switch magazines back & forth depending on your shooting choice for that day, as they are interchangable :)

In used, you can usually find regular barrel .22wmr's for $89-200 depending on condition & accessories...

I've got a Marlin 25MN, regular barrel & pre T-900 trigger which is dead nuts out to 125 & pretty darn good out to 150, but I'm planning to upgrade the Marlin 982VS with bull barrel & T-900 trigger after I get enough High Cap magazines for my Calico's ;) After that a nice Marlin 917 -VS or -VT will find its way to my home. Much to be said for interchangeable magazines :D

Whatever you get, make sure you can trade magazines back & forth...it's too perfect a setup not to :)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  4. stalkingbear

stalkingbear New Member

For hunting, go with the .22 magnum-especially on yotes or edible small game. If you're mostly going to be punching paper, the .17HMR is hard to beat.

5. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

I'm goin with the 17HMR.:cool:

6. montveil

montveil New Member

I went with a NEF single shot with two barrels 17 hmr and 22 mag.
    They are very accurate and really inexpensive if you can live with making the first shot count

7. Jdrawdy

Jdrawdy New Member

Just wanted some more opinions i prefer the 22 mag. I have shot a few of the 17 and after hearing all the hype i was not as impressed with it as alot of my friends were. We mainly use these on squirels and rabbits, with the occasional yote and fox. We also do alot of hunting in areas with a large amount of wild hogs, and i dont really trust a 17 to bring down a 100 pound animal. But thats just my opinion.

8. rugermike

rugermike New Member

Another opinion

I've hunted hogs for several years and I personally wouldn't trust either to bring down a hog reliably? JMO

For rabbits and squirrels it's hard to beat a accurate LR 22 in pistol or rifle? Again, JMO

9. Jdrawdy

Jdrawdy New Member

Rimfire Hunts

Well you are right about not really trusting either to bring down a hog, but in georgia we have special small game hunts that are rim fire only, well you can use a shot gun with shot smaller than number 4. The places where these hunts are are overly populated with hogs. On these i would rather have my 22 mag if i have a close encounter with a boar hog.

10. big shrek

big shrek New Member

Just to cloud the issue a bit more, you could also choose a 5mm magnum or an .17Mach2 which are about the same ballistics-wise, but less powerful than th .17MHR & .22WMR, but CLOSE ;)

But neither really holds a candle to the .17MHR or .22WMR, IMO.

For .22WMR...I suggest these for optimum performance at 100-200 yds.
    Winchester Supreme 34-grain JHP's...2120fps @ muzzle.
    CCI 30-grain poly tip V-max...2200fps @mzzl
    Hornady 30-grain V-max...2200fps@mzzl
    Federal Premium 30-grain Speer TNT JHP V-shocks...2200fps@mzzl

11. nickdahick

nickdahick New Member

I would say that when the .17 HMR came out, everyone was all about something new, like myself. I bought a savage 93, before they had the accutrigger. At first, it seemed great, but that didnt last long. Remember, this was in the time of J-locks, and lots of suits against the industry. My rimfire rifle had a 12X scope, and a heavy stainless barrel, but a 10lb. trigger pull!!! After a few boxes, and some 2" groups at 100 yards, it pritty much stayed in the safe. Now, fast forward to 18 months ago:

Same rifle, with a Riflebasix trigger, as well as the new 20gr. ammo, and it is a completely different stoy. The same rifle now breaks like glass, and can hold 1/2 MOA groups to at least 200yrds!!!

But, on the .22 mag, the others are right in mho, the .22 mag is a better choice for the larger rimfire animals. the .17 just doesnt have the penetration needed to bust a coyote on a regular basis. I dont like wounding animals. Then again, get both, and a 22-250, and a 25-06 for the really long stuff, and try to hid them from the wife if you can.

12. Gene L

Gene L New Member

The .17 shows better out past 125 yards, if I remember comparison correctly. Up to that, they're pretty similar.

A 17 HMR is about the same value, energy-wise, at 150 yards as a .22 short at the muzzle. Again, if I remember correctly, and I may not.

It's a supremely accurate round, but IMO, it's no 200 yard rifle. A 22 Hornet is pushing a bullet twice as heavy at 800 fps or more velocity and it's a doubtful 200 yard rifle on a coyote.

As for wind drift, bullet weight doesn't directly affect drift: the BC, the "exposure time" (to the wind) and the velocity of the wind are the factors in the formula.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  13. big shrek

big shrek New Member

I suggest the CCI Maxi-Mag 30-grain V-Max for .22WMR.
    Or the Federal Premium V-Shok 30-grain for .22WMR.
    Or the Hornady 30-grain...(just shot a box, GREAT STUFF!!)

Until they came out with these, I figured .22WMR's for up to 150 and no more...that's changed now :D

I'll go toe-to-toe with any .17MHR :D

14. docholiday

docholiday New Member

I really like them both. With that being said. I LOVE my Marlin 25mn .22mag. It loves the Winchester .40 grain Super Red X rounds.

15. big shrek

big shrek New Member

Good choice, Doc :D What parta TN ya from??

Spent a few years in the Brentwood/Franklin/Pulaski/Lawrenceburg areas when I was a munchkin :D

I really haven't found anything my Marlin 25mn won't eat yet...still narrowing down what shoots the Absolute best out of it :)

I plan on getting to the range Sunday afternoon, weather permitting & I'll post pics/ammo reports :)

16. docholiday

docholiday New Member

I actually live in North East Ga. but I am an avid Tenn. Vol fan.

17. docholiday

docholiday New Member

One of the things I am wondering about is the 22.250 round. Only because I am really clueless about this round and am considering picking one of these centerfire rifles up. I am not trying to hijack the thread though.

18. 2gun

2gun New Member

Pick out a Gopher the same distance with both guns. The HMR puts a nice hole through them and the mag cuts them in half.

19. NateCJ5

NateCJ5 New Member

I had a Ruger 96 lever action in 22mag and a Savage 93 bolt in 17hmr and the rugger would shoot a better group with hollow points than the 17 would with vmax's. Between that and getting tired of watching groundhogs take hits and still take off running with the 17hmr when they would flop over and not move an inch from the same distance with the 22mag i didn't keep the 17 for two long. After it spent almost 4 months back at the factory and cam back with the same problems I got rid of it. I'll just stick with my 22-250.

20. stalkingbear

stalkingbear New Member

I'd like to know how the 2,550 fps of the .17HMR is 1,200 fps faster than the 1,860 fps of the .22 magnum with 40 gr bullet, or even the faster 30 gr bullet loading of .22 mag.