.22 handgun recommendations?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by TheGunLady, Feb 2, 2010.

1. TheGunLady

TheGunLady New Member

I have pretty much every caliber in a handgun that I want except for a .22. I do borrow/rent them regularly. You just can't beat the cost of the ammo.

But every time I go shopping for a .22, I always find something in a different caliber that I can't resist for about the same money. Sigh.

BUT, I am determined to buy one this year. I want to make a *careful* choice on this considering it's probably the only .22 I'll own. I've looked at/shot several, and can't make a decision (although I have ruled some out completely).

What do you .22 owners recommend, and why?

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

The finest .22 available IMHO. A S&W 617 10 shot...

[​IMG]

3. wb_carpenter

wb_carpenter New Member

Browning Buckmark camper would be my recomendation.

I personally have a phoenix hp22a not what I would consider a "quality" firearm but its reliable and I'm reasonably accurate with it and for $80 used you cant beat it.

4. utf59

utf59 New Member

I like Rugers for reliability and accuracy. I like reliability even if I'm not going to use it for self-defense, because clearing jams and the like at the range isn't fun, and my .22s are all about fun (as long as safety is observed first). And a gun that hits what I aim at is also fun.

I have been disappointed in my Sig Mosquito, though a friend of mine has one (a more recent model) that works quite well. Another friend also has a S&W .22 auto (don't recall the exact model name) that he's happy with. I find it has some misfeeds, but it's not too bad.

Depending on your budget, I believe Sig also makes a higher-end .22. If you like revolvers, S&W makes a nice .22 as well.

There will be others along shortly to discuss Buckmarks, Neos, and others.

I hope you enjoy whatever you decide on.

5. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

The S&W Model 41 is the cream of the crop. Just pick one up and you'll know what I mean, it's the most naturally-pointing firearm I've ever held, plus they're wicked accurate. Very pricey, though.

I own a Ruger Mk III, and love it. It's a pain to take down, but resilient enough that I only have to disassemble it about once a month. It's a big, heavy hunk of steel, but as durable as they come, and heavy isn't undesirable for a plinker. I've only been shooting for a few months, and I can drive tacks with it.

For lighter frames, I shot a few while I was deciding on my Ruger, and my favorite of them was either the Browning Buckmark (Aluminum) or the Beretta Neos (Tupperware). Did not enjoy the Walther P22 at all.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  6. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

Mosquito or P22

7. Missileman

Missileman New Member

NGIB--that's one gorgeous 617!

GunLady, might want to consider something that compliments your centerfires, such as a SIG with a .22 topend, or a 1911 with a .22 conversion, etc. That way you practice with the same gun as your big bores...

8. YoungGunWill

YoungGunWill New Member

If you like Ruger, I love my Single Six. A 525 Value pack from Federal ammunition and add that Six, you'll have a good weekend!:D

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I really hate to argue with you but;
    • If you are referring to a competition mind-set shooter, that may work. (I'm not a competition shooter and wouldn't know.)
    • But, if you're talking about a fighting mind-set shooter, there is no practice with anything other than your PD WEAPON, chambered in, and using your carry ammo!

If you want to shoot cheap for a plunking weekend of fun by all means, get the conversion kit.

Just don't fool yourself into believing it is Personal Defense training/practice!

That mind-set WILL get you killed!

10. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Although I posted a pic and recommended a 617, I have other .22s as well including a Sig P220 and a Ruger Mk III Hunter. The reason I highlighted the 617 is this is a gun that you'll proudly pass down to a younger generation. These ain't bad though...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

You're planning on wearing out your Ruger? My great-grandkids will be shooting mine, most likely.

12. Agent_H

Agent_H New Member

Another plus one on the Ruger. I enjoy mine a lot. Take down is a pain until you get the routine then it is a fine plinker. Worth the money. S&W 41's are wonderful... Need to get me one of those :)

[​IMG]

13. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

Same, but it's way down my list. Need to get a snubby to carry, and at least one 1911 first.

14. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

NGIB I will give you $500 for that 617....

If you want a revolver. Spend the money and get a smith 617 or Model 17 K-22 Your gonna pay dearly but your gonna love it for ever.

for semiauto I would look at a Browning Buckmark or a Ruger MkII or MkIII..... Both will serve you well for year and years

15. TheGunLady

TheGunLady New Member

That's an excellent point. I do especially like the conversion plan. However, I hear they're more susceptible to jams. True or not in your experience?

I also see a lot of recommendations on the longer barrels. Pros? Cons?

16. TheGunLady

TheGunLady New Member

I have to admit, I've been drooling over one of those. But I just have to choke at the price! Oh, the other guns I could have for that money! (Slaps self and reminds self of the astronomical savings on ammo she'll reap)

I do only have one revolver right now - a s&w 640. Have a killer Bianchi shoulder rig and Bianchi minimalist hip holster for it as well. I adore that outfit! :D

Truly that 617 is a nice gun.

17. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

the 617 is nice, but if you want a real sweet shooter, Colt New frontier .22

[​IMG]

mine has literally near 50000 rounds tun through it. shoots like it was new.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  18. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Thanks Tango but I'll be passing this one on to my kids.

As far as reliability of the Sig P series in .22, I only have about 700 rounds thru the P220 and NO malfunctions yet. The first day I shot it I put 300 rounds through it just to see if it would act up when dirty - nope. It has eaten CCI and Federal bulk. My Ruger has also been great, I did remove the loaded chamber indicator and mag disconnect though as they tend to affect reliability...

19. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

YOU sure NGIB we all know that smiths are cheap junk that are made by a bunch of Clinton loving douche bags. I would sell it to me just to get it out of your safe because it may turn your other guns liberal......